Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Corporate America Sucks!!!

Posted by Ken A. on 4/29/02 at 18:13 (081641)

At just 2 months and one day post-op, my company, and its claims management service look to put me bacl full duty in 1 week. I have no qualms about going back, but one thing...my foot still hurts! No one seems to beleive it except for me...I have been doing the physical therapy thing for a couple of weeks and I am on the way to getting my life back though...My motion is getting better and so has my strength...but everyone, including my physical therapist seems to think its all in my head...I already found out that my Pod is on their side now, and there's no one who understands me...They keep telling me to walk on it, but IT HURTS!!!...the pain is in some ways different pain than before surgery, but it is still pain, and I think my pod may have missed something...I havent seen my Pod in a month and everytime I call his office, I get his nurse, yet amazingly, my job and the claims company can ALWAYS get him...It's not right...Also I've been told if I don't go back, FULL DUTY when they tell me, I will not have a job...I am thinking of seeking legal advice...my Dr, has said (as told to me by my human resources person) that he WILL NOT authorize any more light duty time...They have yet another Dr. in their pocket, while the patient is left out in the cold...My job involves walking, standing, carrying 50 lbs for long distances and they expect a miracle (still on crutches)(Down to one) and in extreme pain with no meds...HELP fellow TTS sufferers!!!!!!!!Thank you for listening, Ken

Re: Corporate America Sucks!!!

Sharon W on 4/29/02 at 18:47 (081647)

Ken,

It sounds to me like you need to find another pod ASAP!! The only person who REALLY knows whether or not you are in pain, is YOU, and if your doctor (ANY kind of doctor) doesn't believe you when you're telling them the truth, they cannot possibly make the right decisions for your care and provide you the treatment you need and deserve. And as you obviously already realize, either taking the time you need to heal or returning to work when it still hurts like #%*! can make the difference between long-term success after surgery or ending up with something like RSD!

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/29/02 at 19:00 (081649)

Yes, see another pod! Even if your insurance won't let you, it would be worth the expense to keep from losing your job, and at the very least he may prescribe some meds for you and it's just possible that he might really go to bat for you. Also, in case you end up at work despite all this, can you use a cart or dolly to move those 50 pound weights? They ought to provide you with such.

This situation is not right. Don't let them force you out of your job.

Carole C

Sharon W on 4/29/02 at 21:24 (081684)

Ken,

At the VERY LEAST, the new pod might do some tests (like maybe diagnostic ultrasound) to find out what's REALLY going on with your foot...

Has your current (surgeon) Pod done ANY tests to check on WHY you are still complaining of so much pain? Because he certainly SHOULD HAVE, he should have thoroughtly checked out every possibility BEFORE even BEGAN TO CONSIDER the idea that you might be exaggerating the pain to get out of having to go back to work!!

What was it Ross Perot said about the 'giant vacuum cleaner'...?

-- Sharon

BrianG on 4/29/02 at 22:17 (081697)

Hi Ken,

I wish that I could give you some good advice, because you are getting a royal s*rewing! I am one of the many who went back to work while I was still hurting. I did it twice. Once after short term disabiity (walking boot and bed rest), the second time was after a failed EPF operation. I had shit insurnce and worked until the last day that I could drag myself in. I finlly reached the breaking point and had to leave work, and file for SSD. Now I wait for 1 to 3 years. Talk about something rotten in the govt!! Good luck with your decision. I think if I had to do it all over, I would have gotten a lawyer when I went out on STD 3 years ago.

BrianG

PS Why not go to a pain management clnic, if you can get in the door. I'm hearing about some long waiting periods to even see a doctor. They could certainly keep you out of work.

Ken A. on 4/30/02 at 11:49 (081776)

Carole, no dollies for me!! I am a TV camera man and just like you see in the movies the whole 'go! go! go!' thing holds true...house fires, standoffs,car wrecks, drug busts, shootings, meetiongs at city hall... running happens everyday or at least long periods of standing or walking on ALL types of surfaces...In my biz,anything slower than rununing is almost considered loafing...they just want to get me back, see that I cant do it and fire me for performance reasons....I have seen some sneaky, underhanded stuff that a lot of you guys wouldnt beleive....They are cutthroat and take no prisoners...Hey, I'll just take it one day at a time...Keep the replies coming...I need all the help I can get!!!!!!!!!1
Ken

Cheri A on 4/30/02 at 12:39 (081780)

Let me guess... it was a Workman's Comp claim, right? Even if it wasn't, does your company have another position for you that does not involve being on your feet so much? Then later when you are more healed, perhaps you can go back to cameraman.
Every doctor I talked to said that nerves heal at the rate of 1 inch per month. It could take you a while to get back to where you were.
I think you should talk to an attorney, just to see what the law says about your situation. Then you will have some idea about what you can do if you are fired unfairly.
I wish you the best of luck and good healing.

Ken A. on 4/30/02 at 18:38 (081848)

Oh by the way, they gave me a fill-in spot...the rush to get me back?? they hired sombody for the spot and I'm just the odd man out..go figure...
Ken

Re: That's disgusting!

Sharon W on 4/30/02 at 18:59 (081856)

Ken,

How can they treat their employees like that and still find people who want to work for them?? Is the work THAT much fun?

I mean, I can certainly understand how, in your situation, you don't want to lose your job -- but don't your co-workers see what they're doing to you and wonder if they're NEXT? I mean, your bosses are really #%*&!ing you over!

How long have you been working for them?

-- Sharon

Missy B on 4/30/02 at 23:44 (081898)

Sorry to hear that your company has issued you an ultimatum - back to work or else. As far as your foot still hurting - only you can know how much pain you are in and if your doctor does not believe you, it is time to go find another doctor. I had my surgery on 1/11/02 and am back to work now full time - I still feel a generalized soreness in my foot and on rainy days it aches worse than on nice ones - but I do not seem to have the kind of pain you are still experiencing. Do you know if you have formed a lot of scar tissue at your incision? When I asked my Pod about his success rate with this surgery, he told me that most of his patients had a moderate to complete recovery - but that one had formed an unusual amount of scar tissue which in turn had retrapped the nerve and was pressing on it, creating pain for her. He had to redo her surgery to remove the scar tissue. If your Pod is not helping you, then seek out another opinion. Everyone heals at a different rate and you must listen to your own body and limit your activities accordingly to allow the best chance for recovery. Good Luck to you.

Pat B on 5/02/02 at 06:58 (082093)

Good Luck to you. I had to go back after 2 weeks on crutches and a boot to a mostly stand up job. Well it has been about a year post op now and I feel as though every bone in my feet are broke. I have TTS in both feet and I still have to suffer. I can relate to you. You are lucky that you had that much time off. Recently I got a second opinion from a neurologist which confirmed that I have TTS in both feet and no surgery in the future because of Fibromyalgia. I live with pain everywhere every day. I feel like crying most days from pain and losing the ability to walk. I still have to work!! In a year when I probably cannot walk anymore, I figure they will fire me or the docs will put me on disability. It is a shame when we have to live in fear of our jobs especially when we have a family.

Margie on 5/02/02 at 16:32 (082166)

I got terminated because i could not go back to work, trying to get disability now. Not right for sure. Ken you sound just like me, no one knows how bad it hurts cause they can not see it. And they do not believe us.

J. King on 5/14/02 at 15:56 (083865)

We have what is called an invisible disablity. It would be better to have you foot hacked off then you could get protection from ADA.

Sharon W on 4/29/02 at 18:47 (081647)

Ken,

It sounds to me like you need to find another pod ASAP!! The only person who REALLY knows whether or not you are in pain, is YOU, and if your doctor (ANY kind of doctor) doesn't believe you when you're telling them the truth, they cannot possibly make the right decisions for your care and provide you the treatment you need and deserve. And as you obviously already realize, either taking the time you need to heal or returning to work when it still hurts like #%*! can make the difference between long-term success after surgery or ending up with something like RSD!

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 4/29/02 at 19:00 (081649)

Yes, see another pod! Even if your insurance won't let you, it would be worth the expense to keep from losing your job, and at the very least he may prescribe some meds for you and it's just possible that he might really go to bat for you. Also, in case you end up at work despite all this, can you use a cart or dolly to move those 50 pound weights? They ought to provide you with such.

This situation is not right. Don't let them force you out of your job.

Carole C

Sharon W on 4/29/02 at 21:24 (081684)

Ken,

At the VERY LEAST, the new pod might do some tests (like maybe diagnostic ultrasound) to find out what's REALLY going on with your foot...

Has your current (surgeon) Pod done ANY tests to check on WHY you are still complaining of so much pain? Because he certainly SHOULD HAVE, he should have thoroughtly checked out every possibility BEFORE even BEGAN TO CONSIDER the idea that you might be exaggerating the pain to get out of having to go back to work!!

What was it Ross Perot said about the 'giant vacuum cleaner'...?

-- Sharon

BrianG on 4/29/02 at 22:17 (081697)

Hi Ken,

I wish that I could give you some good advice, because you are getting a royal s*rewing! I am one of the many who went back to work while I was still hurting. I did it twice. Once after short term disabiity (walking boot and bed rest), the second time was after a failed EPF operation. I had shit insurnce and worked until the last day that I could drag myself in. I finlly reached the breaking point and had to leave work, and file for SSD. Now I wait for 1 to 3 years. Talk about something rotten in the govt!! Good luck with your decision. I think if I had to do it all over, I would have gotten a lawyer when I went out on STD 3 years ago.

BrianG

PS Why not go to a pain management clnic, if you can get in the door. I'm hearing about some long waiting periods to even see a doctor. They could certainly keep you out of work.

Ken A. on 4/30/02 at 11:49 (081776)

Carole, no dollies for me!! I am a TV camera man and just like you see in the movies the whole 'go! go! go!' thing holds true...house fires, standoffs,car wrecks, drug busts, shootings, meetiongs at city hall... running happens everyday or at least long periods of standing or walking on ALL types of surfaces...In my biz,anything slower than rununing is almost considered loafing...they just want to get me back, see that I cant do it and fire me for performance reasons....I have seen some sneaky, underhanded stuff that a lot of you guys wouldnt beleive....They are cutthroat and take no prisoners...Hey, I'll just take it one day at a time...Keep the replies coming...I need all the help I can get!!!!!!!!!1
Ken

Cheri A on 4/30/02 at 12:39 (081780)

Let me guess... it was a Workman's Comp claim, right? Even if it wasn't, does your company have another position for you that does not involve being on your feet so much? Then later when you are more healed, perhaps you can go back to cameraman.
Every doctor I talked to said that nerves heal at the rate of 1 inch per month. It could take you a while to get back to where you were.
I think you should talk to an attorney, just to see what the law says about your situation. Then you will have some idea about what you can do if you are fired unfairly.
I wish you the best of luck and good healing.

Ken A. on 4/30/02 at 18:38 (081848)

Oh by the way, they gave me a fill-in spot...the rush to get me back?? they hired sombody for the spot and I'm just the odd man out..go figure...
Ken

Re: That's disgusting!

Sharon W on 4/30/02 at 18:59 (081856)

Ken,

How can they treat their employees like that and still find people who want to work for them?? Is the work THAT much fun?

I mean, I can certainly understand how, in your situation, you don't want to lose your job -- but don't your co-workers see what they're doing to you and wonder if they're NEXT? I mean, your bosses are really #%*&!ing you over!

How long have you been working for them?

-- Sharon

Missy B on 4/30/02 at 23:44 (081898)

Sorry to hear that your company has issued you an ultimatum - back to work or else. As far as your foot still hurting - only you can know how much pain you are in and if your doctor does not believe you, it is time to go find another doctor. I had my surgery on 1/11/02 and am back to work now full time - I still feel a generalized soreness in my foot and on rainy days it aches worse than on nice ones - but I do not seem to have the kind of pain you are still experiencing. Do you know if you have formed a lot of scar tissue at your incision? When I asked my Pod about his success rate with this surgery, he told me that most of his patients had a moderate to complete recovery - but that one had formed an unusual amount of scar tissue which in turn had retrapped the nerve and was pressing on it, creating pain for her. He had to redo her surgery to remove the scar tissue. If your Pod is not helping you, then seek out another opinion. Everyone heals at a different rate and you must listen to your own body and limit your activities accordingly to allow the best chance for recovery. Good Luck to you.

Pat B on 5/02/02 at 06:58 (082093)

Good Luck to you. I had to go back after 2 weeks on crutches and a boot to a mostly stand up job. Well it has been about a year post op now and I feel as though every bone in my feet are broke. I have TTS in both feet and I still have to suffer. I can relate to you. You are lucky that you had that much time off. Recently I got a second opinion from a neurologist which confirmed that I have TTS in both feet and no surgery in the future because of Fibromyalgia. I live with pain everywhere every day. I feel like crying most days from pain and losing the ability to walk. I still have to work!! In a year when I probably cannot walk anymore, I figure they will fire me or the docs will put me on disability. It is a shame when we have to live in fear of our jobs especially when we have a family.

Margie on 5/02/02 at 16:32 (082166)

I got terminated because i could not go back to work, trying to get disability now. Not right for sure. Ken you sound just like me, no one knows how bad it hurts cause they can not see it. And they do not believe us.

J. King on 5/14/02 at 15:56 (083865)

We have what is called an invisible disablity. It would be better to have you foot hacked off then you could get protection from ADA.