Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anesthesia for accessory navicular removal

Posted by Amy Y on 4/29/02 at 19:04 (081650)

I am scheduled to have the accessory navicular bone removed from my right ankle. My doctor has me scheduled for a spinal, I am very nervous about this procedure(the surgery) and the method of anesthesia, will I be aware of what is going on? I do not think I can deal with that,should I ask for general anesthesia? Thanks

Re: Anesthesia for accessory navicular removal

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/29/02 at 19:45 (081655)

Hi Amy:

That is very unusual. I have performed this procedure many times with straight local. I think that local with IV sedation would be a very safe choice. What type of doctor is performing this procedure?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/29/02 at 20:26 (081670)

I completely agree with Dr. Cozzarelli. During surgery, the risk of anesthesia shouldn't exceed the risk of the procedure. Performing this procedure under local anesthesia with IV sedation will provide a very safe environment, while at the same time keeping you very calm, comfortable and with very low risk.

Amy Y on 4/30/02 at 08:33 (081744)

A very well known othopedic dr from my area is the surgeon, he is recommending the spinal, will I be awake during this procedure? What do you mean by a local? Did I mention that he said my incision will be around 2 and a half inches long? would that make a difference in the anesthesia? By local do you mean a ankle block? Is a spinal injection risky? Thanks

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/30/02 at 20:23 (081870)

Amy:
I think that you always have to weight the risks versus benefits. Local is always the safest way for surgery. Local with IV sedation means that an IV sedative is given. when the patient is sedated the surgical site is injeted locally bia ankle block, v block. You would feel touch but not pain. The length of the incision is not a problem. With spinal anesthesia you would mostly likey be awake. If you were my mother or sister I would lean to towards local with IV sedation. I hope this info helps. Why don't you discuss your anesthesia expectations and concerns with your doctor. He sounds very well qualified.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

John on 5/08/02 at 14:28 (083090)

i had this operation done and i was tottaly awake they just gave me a local i didnt feel anything except the snap that went up my leg to my back
but it didnt hurt

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/29/02 at 19:45 (081655)

Hi Amy:

That is very unusual. I have performed this procedure many times with straight local. I think that local with IV sedation would be a very safe choice. What type of doctor is performing this procedure?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. David S. Wander on 4/29/02 at 20:26 (081670)

I completely agree with Dr. Cozzarelli. During surgery, the risk of anesthesia shouldn't exceed the risk of the procedure. Performing this procedure under local anesthesia with IV sedation will provide a very safe environment, while at the same time keeping you very calm, comfortable and with very low risk.

Amy Y on 4/30/02 at 08:33 (081744)

A very well known othopedic dr from my area is the surgeon, he is recommending the spinal, will I be awake during this procedure? What do you mean by a local? Did I mention that he said my incision will be around 2 and a half inches long? would that make a difference in the anesthesia? By local do you mean a ankle block? Is a spinal injection risky? Thanks

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/30/02 at 20:23 (081870)

Amy:
I think that you always have to weight the risks versus benefits. Local is always the safest way for surgery. Local with IV sedation means that an IV sedative is given. when the patient is sedated the surgical site is injeted locally bia ankle block, v block. You would feel touch but not pain. The length of the incision is not a problem. With spinal anesthesia you would mostly likey be awake. If you were my mother or sister I would lean to towards local with IV sedation. I hope this info helps. Why don't you discuss your anesthesia expectations and concerns with your doctor. He sounds very well qualified.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

John on 5/08/02 at 14:28 (083090)

i had this operation done and i was tottaly awake they just gave me a local i didnt feel anything except the snap that went up my leg to my back
but it didnt hurt