Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

possible neuroma surgery

Posted by Kerry D on 4/30/02 at 07:27 (081723)

14 months ago I had corrective surgery for bunions on both feet. It was very painful surgery and I couldnt walk properly for 10 months. This year I was looking forward to wearing nice trendy shoes again. My right foot is like brand new but my left foot started developing tingling pain in my two middle toes in the last 5 weeks. I now cant even wear the shoes I was able to wear before my surgery last year. I went back to my surgeon and he said I have a neuroma which is caused by trauma and the only way to fix it is to have more surgery. I would like to know if there are any alternative measures as more surgery frightens me. The pain seems to come from underneath the toes and it is a sharp tingling sensation.

Re: possible neuroma surgery

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/30/02 at 14:25 (081805)

Neuromas, in the early stages, can be treated successfully via chemical neurolysis. This involves injections of a dilute alcohol solution into the nerve growth.
Ed

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/30/02 at 18:33 (081844)

I agree again wit hDr. Davis and the neurolytic agent is not cortsione. A series of 7 injections usually every two weeks works quite well. Seldomly do we perform the complete series. I think this is a great alternative to surgery. 2cc are uded per injection.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Kerry D on 5/06/02 at 02:49 (082574)

Are these injections available in Australia. Im from Perth Western Aust.

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/30/02 at 14:25 (081805)

Neuromas, in the early stages, can be treated successfully via chemical neurolysis. This involves injections of a dilute alcohol solution into the nerve growth.
Ed

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/30/02 at 18:33 (081844)

I agree again wit hDr. Davis and the neurolytic agent is not cortsione. A series of 7 injections usually every two weeks works quite well. Seldomly do we perform the complete series. I think this is a great alternative to surgery. 2cc are uded per injection.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Kerry D on 5/06/02 at 02:49 (082574)

Are these injections available in Australia. Im from Perth Western Aust.