Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Weather!!

Posted by Necee on 4/30/02 at 08:05 (081737)

I hope that all are safe and ok after the violent storms that spread across the country.
It has been stormy here in Texas, but for now things are quiet in my little neck of the woods.
Happy Trails.....
Necee

Re: Weather!!

Sharon W on 4/30/02 at 09:18 (081753)

Necee,

What part of Texas are you in? (I'm near Waco.)

-- Sharon

Re: Weather!! Sharon

john h on 4/30/02 at 09:47 (081758)

I was commisoned a 2nd Lt in Waco, James Connelly AFB while going through flight training. My fondest memories were all those Baptist girls at Baylor. A big time killer toranado there in the 50's.

Re: Tornados

Sharon W on 4/30/02 at 09:58 (081760)

John,

Yeah, they still talk about that sme4... we often have sme4s all around us, though, and they hardly EVER touch down in this area -- knock on wood!

-- Sharon

Nancy N on 4/30/02 at 17:24 (081834)

John--

Not only isn't there anyone you haven't met, there's no place you haven't been to! How is it possible for a single human being to have been everywhere and met everyone????

Carole C in NOLA on 4/30/02 at 19:48 (081866)

John has never met me.

He has, however, been to New Orleans. LOL

Carole C

wendyn on 4/30/02 at 20:48 (081876)

My friend John is amazing. He sees all, hears all, knows all. When Mary tells him he can...

nancy s. on 4/30/02 at 21:21 (081887)

wendy, you're right: john IS amazing. not only has he met everyone in the world except carole, and been everywhere, but he has one of the most ... interesting ... combo of attributes i've ever seen/met in a person. ten cheers for john tonight, for no particular reason.
nancy

Re: To Sharon W.

Necee on 4/30/02 at 22:17 (081890)

Hi Sharon,
I live South of Dallas, and we have a ranch outside Corsicana, which isn't far from Waco at all. Gee it's a small world!
Happy Trails.....
Necee

Re: Weather!! Sharon - Nancy s

john h on 5/01/02 at 10:18 (081950)

Nancy how does that old song go? 'I know a little bit about a lot of things but baby I don't know enough about you--'

When they said join the Air Force and see the world they were not kidding. Add to that being a pilot in a squadron that traveled the world got me around. Iceland was my first overseas assignment. Actually I had a great time there. At one time I think it was the only nation in the world with 100% literacy. It is in the Artic Circle but due to ocean there is very little snow in southern Iceland. It is a volcanic island with no vegitation in the south where most of the people live. It is or at least was very much a fishing economy. It has always been a very strategic military location as aircraft could be intercepted coming out of Russia and crossing the North Pole. During WWII it was very important in fighting the German submarines in the North Atlantic and prior to jets it was important as a refuleing stop for aircraft flying the North Atlantic between North Amerca and Europe. When I was there we were not allowed to be off the base after the sun set. The Icelandic Police could raid our quonset huts without notice to make sure we had no 'girls' there. If you did you went to jail. If any child was born out of wedlock the child became a ward of the nation and the father would pay the government a monthly support fee until the child was 18. A couple of my friends married some of the local girls and I ran into one couple in the Chicago Airport some 20 year later. Icelanders are a hearty group of people. Nordic and blonde. They did not think much of any immigrants and I am not sure they even allowed any.

john h on 5/01/02 at 10:25 (081956)

John who has never met you Carole? You bet I have been to the big easy many times. Stayed at Tulane a couple of times (no money). Always in and out of Barksdale AFB which I think still supports the 50 year old B-52's still one of our most potent air weapons. I would like to meet one of you swamp girls. Some of that Cajun dancing and music I like.

john h on 5/01/02 at 10:31 (081958)

Wendy: I should have discovered one of you Goddess of Sex & Love, floor scrubbing, obedient ladies. I did not know you all even existed except in the movies

john h on 5/01/02 at 10:35 (081960)

Why think you Nancy S and Wendy. I need to remind Mary how lucky she is. I will certaily sleep better to night thinking about those cheers. Mary does not 'cheer' me much especially at night.

Re: Necee

Sharon W on 5/01/02 at 13:35 (081992)

Necee,

Cool! Maybe you can tell me something I've been wondering but so far haven't found anyone who could answer: is there ANYONE in this area who does ESWT?

-- Sharon

nancy s. on 5/01/02 at 18:28 (082045)

yes, john, remind mary. here: another cheer for you tonight.
i try to imagine life in a quonset hut as you experienced it. the only time i experienced a quonset hut was six years ago when i ran a flea market in one, with two partners (one nice guy and one sexy bully).
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 5/01/02 at 19:53 (082058)

John, next time you are down here I'd love to meet you. I haven't been to Arkansas since 1978 though.

Carole C

Re: John

wendyn on 5/01/02 at 23:34 (082086)

That's Canadian women for you John.

Mind you, there are only 3 women up here in the arctic north...so I guess the odds are pretty good.

Igloos are easy to keep clean (not much sticks to ice you know), and we just love our 'Mountie' husbands in the red suits and funny hats.

After a hard day of hunting moose and buffalo, a good Canadian man excpects a clean floor in his igloo, some back bacon, and a Molson.

Necee on 5/02/02 at 10:31 (082118)

Hi Sharon,
There is a Dr in Dallas that does ESWT. But for the life of me I can't think of his name, I believe he works near Las Calinas.
There is also a clinic in Galveston and Houston. You can try a search engine. I looked last year and remember finding several drs. on the internet in Texas that do ESWT. I need to have it done myself.
I'll keep looking and if I come up with anything I'll let ya know.
Happy Trails....
Necee

John h on 5/02/02 at 19:01 (082192)

Wendy: And I think you should add to your list some music with Jennette McDonald and Nelson Eddy singing 'Canadaian Love Song' when he gets home to go with that Moulson. I do not guess you ever got to listen to the ancient radio program 'Sgt Preston of the Yukon' and of course his faithful dog King? Maybe Julie will remember that oldie. There is a plane made in Canada named the Beaver. It is used in the backwoods as it can land on water or short dirt strips. It i was made by DeHaviland. I flew that baby for about 1200 hours. I do not know if I ever told you but my Uncle joined the Canadian Army prior to U.S. entering WWII. He was killed in action.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/02/02 at 19:56 (082203)

I remember Sergeant Preston of the Yukon, and his dog, King! I was very young and thought King was a marvelous name for a dog, and wished with all my heart that I had a dog named King. I used to run around the neighborhood calling 'King, King', pretending that I had a dog named King. My parents did buy a dog later on, when I was 8, but she was a toy poodle, 7 pounds fully grown, and her name was not King. (grin)

Between this, and Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cottontail (favorite bedtime stories), my aging memory has been jump-started. Before long I will be remembering Kukla, Fran, and Ollie, and who knows who. Now, if only I could remember to pay my rent.

Carole C

Julie on 5/03/02 at 02:48 (082262)

Alas, no: I have no memory of Sgt Preston and his faithful dog King.

Do you remember Our Gal Sunday?

Damn. I was going to reel off a whole list of soaps I remembered from the 40s, but my memory got stuck. As it frequently does these days. John, do you have that affliction of advanced age that makes you forget names. I can't remember what it's called. I'd better stop.

John h on 5/03/02 at 15:19 (082330)

Carole: there was a short lived mini series about Sgt Preston of The Yukon and his dog named King. I think the Kukla, Fran, and Ollie show was broadcast out of Chicago. I was living in the Chicago suburbs at the time.

John h on 5/03/02 at 15:52 (082334)

Julie: you bet I remember Our Gal Sunday and her handsome Lord Henery ? (Brentworth). One of Englands most charming and handsome men. I think we are doing real well to remember these characters from our chilhood. How about Capt. Video, Charlie Chan, Bob Crosby and his Bobcats,The Lone Ranger, Intersanctum,The Shadow. A child could conjure up better visions in his mind that you can see on TV.

Julie on 5/03/02 at 16:36 (082340)

...and how about Young Widow Brown. (Just dredged up from the failing computer/memory)

Re: and another thing...

Julie on 5/03/02 at 16:38 (082341)

Nominal aphasia (inability to think of the names of things/people/ancient radio soaps) is what I was referring to.

Maybe I'm not so bad after all. I think I'm just reacting to the shock of having turned 67 on Monday.

But I'm really still 27. Going on 7. At heart.

Re: Julie

wendyn on 5/03/02 at 18:16 (082349)

Happy Birthday Julie!

John h on 5/03/02 at 18:40 (082352)

Julie: I think it is our short term memory that goes first! Nominal aphasia?? Where on earth did you dig that one up. If my Doc told me I had that I would figure that is the end.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/03/02 at 18:49 (082356)

Yes, I think you're right. I was living in St. Louis then. I don't know if I remember Sgt Preston from the radio or the TV, in the early fifties. Probably it was the TV, although I do remember listening to radio shows also at that time.

Carole C

Julie on 5/04/02 at 02:55 (082380)

Thank you, Wendy!

I had a lovely birthday. Amongst my presents was a boxed set of five Audrey Hepburn videos (my husband knows I love her). Roman Holiday (one of my three favourite films of all time, with The Wizard of Oz and Some Like it Hot), Funny Face, Sabrina Fair, Breakfast at Tiffany's and, best of all, one I'd never even heard of: Paris When it Sizzles.

Does anyone remember it? It was made in 1964, with Audrey and Bill Holden, and is just about the funniest movie I've ever seen: a brilliant spoof of all the film conventions of the time, beautifully filmed on location in Paris. What a terrific surprise.

When I was about 17, and Audrey Hepburn was just getting started, people used to tell me I looked like her. The best compliment I've ever had.

Re: Nominal aphasia

Julie on 5/04/02 at 02:58 (082381)

Don't worry, John. It's just a fact. Nominal = pertaining to the names of things. Aphasia = inability to remember.

Most of us have it to some degree. I just wondered whether you, as my oldest buddy (I think - same age as me, more or less?) around here had noticed it.

Tammie on 5/04/02 at 09:24 (082391)

I am sorry I missed it Julie, but here I wish you a belated Birthday with all the best wishes and the happiness to you for many years to come!! By the way I enjoyed listening to your soothing voice last night as I lay in a nice warm bath trying to relax . It was calming, not quite enough to put me to sleep but non the less it helped take my mind off the foot and the shopping trip with not one but 3 teenage girls last night. Oh my do not ever recomend it to any one unless they have no foot trouble and are part deaf as if you arent before the shopping you surely will be after! LOL oh well new day today and hope it is great for all! Thanks Julie for the tape I really enjoy listening to it. Hugs to you

Julie on 5/04/02 at 10:04 (082394)

Tammie, thank you very much - that's very sweet of you. And I'm glad that you're still using and enjoying the tape. The bath sounds a great place for it (be careful with your electricity connections, though!)

john h on 5/06/02 at 08:52 (082598)

Why am I not supprised about your movie list Julie? Those are probably the ones I would have selected for you. Happy birthday.

john h on 5/06/02 at 09:05 (082599)

I still have a decent memory Julie although like anyone I may on occasion have a momentary lapse. I think an active brain is a happy brain and like any machine it needs to be used. Actually computer use is probably very good exercise for the brain. I suspect as we age if we forget something we immediately think we have a problem. My biggest memory problem is remembering about 100 different passwords and and various numbers to access such things as ATM machines, on line accounts, etc. The brain is made to be used. I have a 42 year old doctor friend who developed alzheimers. It has now been about 3 years since he was first diagnosed and he has been committed to a nursing home as he cannot help himself or recognize anyone. I think he is the youngest person i have ever seen with this disease.

Sharon W on 5/06/02 at 09:59 (082607)

John,

You are right about exercising your mind being something that can help to improve your chances of not getting Alzheimers. I saw a study a couple of years ago comparing elderly people who played cards at least once a week with those who just watched TV, etc. Those who played cards (and thus, exercised their minds) had a reudced rate of developing Alzheimer's. Pretty cool, huh?

-- Sharon

Julie on 5/06/02 at 10:08 (082608)

Thanks, John. Aren't they some of your favourite movies too? Or not?

Yesterday I had the fantastic piece of luck of discovering ten minutes before it started in mid-afternoon that Charade was on TV. We video's it and watched it last night. I'd never seen it. How wonderful Audrey and Cary Grant both were, and how wonderful together. And those 60s Givenchy outfits. Wow!

I am in an Audrey Hepburn daze. Doesn't anyone else love her?

Julie on 5/06/02 at 11:29 (082624)

Active brain, happy brain - definitely, John. I agree with all you say, especially the bit about thinking, as we age, that we immediately suspect Alzeimer's or something similar every time we have a lapse. That will comfort me next time I have a senior moment...

Actually, I have quite a good memory. And ... oops. I forgot what I was about to say.

Re: Nominal aphasia -- JULIE

nancy s. on 5/06/02 at 11:45 (082630)

hi julie (who could write a mesmerizing book about crete),

did you see dean's post on the treatments board about exercising? his pt gave him some nasty stretches to do. i posted back to him and recommended that he not do them ... and then said i was sure you'd be responding too, since you're so knowledgeable on this subject. but i don't think you saw it.

now that i promised your time to someone without asking, would you forgive me and go help dean?

thank you.

sheepishly yours,
nancy
p.s. You see, i copied and pasted your descriptions of your good stretches some time ago, and have pasted them in for new posters before, but today i can't locate where i've filed them for some reason. sorry about that.

Julie on 5/06/02 at 13:04 (082640)

Hi Nancy

Yes, I did see Dean's post and yours, but I needed time to reread and try the exercises before responding. I did, an hour or so ago. I've also reposted the yoga exercises, (which I craftily saved in Word the last time I posted them, for future use).

A mesmerizing book about Crete? Ah! Now there's a thought. Thanks, my friend.

And I am so glad to hear you've had a couple of good, back-pain-less days.

Re: Weather!!

Sharon W on 4/30/02 at 09:18 (081753)

Necee,

What part of Texas are you in? (I'm near Waco.)

-- Sharon

john h on 4/30/02 at 09:47 (081758)

I was commisoned a 2nd Lt in Waco, James Connelly AFB while going through flight training. My fondest memories were all those Baptist girls at Baylor. A big time killer toranado there in the 50's.

Re: Tornados

Sharon W on 4/30/02 at 09:58 (081760)

John,

Yeah, they still talk about that sme4... we often have sme4s all around us, though, and they hardly EVER touch down in this area -- knock on wood!

-- Sharon

Nancy N on 4/30/02 at 17:24 (081834)

John--

Not only isn't there anyone you haven't met, there's no place you haven't been to! How is it possible for a single human being to have been everywhere and met everyone????

Carole C in NOLA on 4/30/02 at 19:48 (081866)

John has never met me.

He has, however, been to New Orleans. LOL

Carole C

wendyn on 4/30/02 at 20:48 (081876)

My friend John is amazing. He sees all, hears all, knows all. When Mary tells him he can...

nancy s. on 4/30/02 at 21:21 (081887)

wendy, you're right: john IS amazing. not only has he met everyone in the world except carole, and been everywhere, but he has one of the most ... interesting ... combo of attributes i've ever seen/met in a person. ten cheers for john tonight, for no particular reason.
nancy

Necee on 4/30/02 at 22:17 (081890)

Hi Sharon,
I live South of Dallas, and we have a ranch outside Corsicana, which isn't far from Waco at all. Gee it's a small world!
Happy Trails.....
Necee

Re: Weather!! Sharon - Nancy s

john h on 5/01/02 at 10:18 (081950)

Nancy how does that old song go? 'I know a little bit about a lot of things but baby I don't know enough about you--'

When they said join the Air Force and see the world they were not kidding. Add to that being a pilot in a squadron that traveled the world got me around. Iceland was my first overseas assignment. Actually I had a great time there. At one time I think it was the only nation in the world with 100% literacy. It is in the Artic Circle but due to ocean there is very little snow in southern Iceland. It is a volcanic island with no vegitation in the south where most of the people live. It is or at least was very much a fishing economy. It has always been a very strategic military location as aircraft could be intercepted coming out of Russia and crossing the North Pole. During WWII it was very important in fighting the German submarines in the North Atlantic and prior to jets it was important as a refuleing stop for aircraft flying the North Atlantic between North Amerca and Europe. When I was there we were not allowed to be off the base after the sun set. The Icelandic Police could raid our quonset huts without notice to make sure we had no 'girls' there. If you did you went to jail. If any child was born out of wedlock the child became a ward of the nation and the father would pay the government a monthly support fee until the child was 18. A couple of my friends married some of the local girls and I ran into one couple in the Chicago Airport some 20 year later. Icelanders are a hearty group of people. Nordic and blonde. They did not think much of any immigrants and I am not sure they even allowed any.

john h on 5/01/02 at 10:25 (081956)

John who has never met you Carole? You bet I have been to the big easy many times. Stayed at Tulane a couple of times (no money). Always in and out of Barksdale AFB which I think still supports the 50 year old B-52's still one of our most potent air weapons. I would like to meet one of you swamp girls. Some of that Cajun dancing and music I like.

john h on 5/01/02 at 10:31 (081958)

Wendy: I should have discovered one of you Goddess of Sex & Love, floor scrubbing, obedient ladies. I did not know you all even existed except in the movies

john h on 5/01/02 at 10:35 (081960)

Why think you Nancy S and Wendy. I need to remind Mary how lucky she is. I will certaily sleep better to night thinking about those cheers. Mary does not 'cheer' me much especially at night.

Re: Necee

Sharon W on 5/01/02 at 13:35 (081992)

Necee,

Cool! Maybe you can tell me something I've been wondering but so far haven't found anyone who could answer: is there ANYONE in this area who does ESWT?

-- Sharon

nancy s. on 5/01/02 at 18:28 (082045)

yes, john, remind mary. here: another cheer for you tonight.
i try to imagine life in a quonset hut as you experienced it. the only time i experienced a quonset hut was six years ago when i ran a flea market in one, with two partners (one nice guy and one sexy bully).
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 5/01/02 at 19:53 (082058)

John, next time you are down here I'd love to meet you. I haven't been to Arkansas since 1978 though.

Carole C

wendyn on 5/01/02 at 23:34 (082086)

That's Canadian women for you John.

Mind you, there are only 3 women up here in the arctic north...so I guess the odds are pretty good.

Igloos are easy to keep clean (not much sticks to ice you know), and we just love our 'Mountie' husbands in the red suits and funny hats.

After a hard day of hunting moose and buffalo, a good Canadian man excpects a clean floor in his igloo, some back bacon, and a Molson.

Necee on 5/02/02 at 10:31 (082118)

Hi Sharon,
There is a Dr in Dallas that does ESWT. But for the life of me I can't think of his name, I believe he works near Las Calinas.
There is also a clinic in Galveston and Houston. You can try a search engine. I looked last year and remember finding several drs. on the internet in Texas that do ESWT. I need to have it done myself.
I'll keep looking and if I come up with anything I'll let ya know.
Happy Trails....
Necee

John h on 5/02/02 at 19:01 (082192)

Wendy: And I think you should add to your list some music with Jennette McDonald and Nelson Eddy singing 'Canadaian Love Song' when he gets home to go with that Moulson. I do not guess you ever got to listen to the ancient radio program 'Sgt Preston of the Yukon' and of course his faithful dog King? Maybe Julie will remember that oldie. There is a plane made in Canada named the Beaver. It is used in the backwoods as it can land on water or short dirt strips. It i was made by DeHaviland. I flew that baby for about 1200 hours. I do not know if I ever told you but my Uncle joined the Canadian Army prior to U.S. entering WWII. He was killed in action.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/02/02 at 19:56 (082203)

I remember Sergeant Preston of the Yukon, and his dog, King! I was very young and thought King was a marvelous name for a dog, and wished with all my heart that I had a dog named King. I used to run around the neighborhood calling 'King, King', pretending that I had a dog named King. My parents did buy a dog later on, when I was 8, but she was a toy poodle, 7 pounds fully grown, and her name was not King. (grin)

Between this, and Flopsy, Mopsy, and Cottontail (favorite bedtime stories), my aging memory has been jump-started. Before long I will be remembering Kukla, Fran, and Ollie, and who knows who. Now, if only I could remember to pay my rent.

Carole C

Julie on 5/03/02 at 02:48 (082262)

Alas, no: I have no memory of Sgt Preston and his faithful dog King.

Do you remember Our Gal Sunday?

Damn. I was going to reel off a whole list of soaps I remembered from the 40s, but my memory got stuck. As it frequently does these days. John, do you have that affliction of advanced age that makes you forget names. I can't remember what it's called. I'd better stop.

John h on 5/03/02 at 15:19 (082330)

Carole: there was a short lived mini series about Sgt Preston of The Yukon and his dog named King. I think the Kukla, Fran, and Ollie show was broadcast out of Chicago. I was living in the Chicago suburbs at the time.

John h on 5/03/02 at 15:52 (082334)

Julie: you bet I remember Our Gal Sunday and her handsome Lord Henery ? (Brentworth). One of Englands most charming and handsome men. I think we are doing real well to remember these characters from our chilhood. How about Capt. Video, Charlie Chan, Bob Crosby and his Bobcats,The Lone Ranger, Intersanctum,The Shadow. A child could conjure up better visions in his mind that you can see on TV.

Julie on 5/03/02 at 16:36 (082340)

...and how about Young Widow Brown. (Just dredged up from the failing computer/memory)

Julie on 5/03/02 at 16:38 (082341)

Nominal aphasia (inability to think of the names of things/people/ancient radio soaps) is what I was referring to.

Maybe I'm not so bad after all. I think I'm just reacting to the shock of having turned 67 on Monday.

But I'm really still 27. Going on 7. At heart.

wendyn on 5/03/02 at 18:16 (082349)

Happy Birthday Julie!

John h on 5/03/02 at 18:40 (082352)

Julie: I think it is our short term memory that goes first! Nominal aphasia?? Where on earth did you dig that one up. If my Doc told me I had that I would figure that is the end.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/03/02 at 18:49 (082356)

Yes, I think you're right. I was living in St. Louis then. I don't know if I remember Sgt Preston from the radio or the TV, in the early fifties. Probably it was the TV, although I do remember listening to radio shows also at that time.

Carole C

Julie on 5/04/02 at 02:55 (082380)

Thank you, Wendy!

I had a lovely birthday. Amongst my presents was a boxed set of five Audrey Hepburn videos (my husband knows I love her). Roman Holiday (one of my three favourite films of all time, with The Wizard of Oz and Some Like it Hot), Funny Face, Sabrina Fair, Breakfast at Tiffany's and, best of all, one I'd never even heard of: Paris When it Sizzles.

Does anyone remember it? It was made in 1964, with Audrey and Bill Holden, and is just about the funniest movie I've ever seen: a brilliant spoof of all the film conventions of the time, beautifully filmed on location in Paris. What a terrific surprise.

When I was about 17, and Audrey Hepburn was just getting started, people used to tell me I looked like her. The best compliment I've ever had.

Julie on 5/04/02 at 02:58 (082381)

Don't worry, John. It's just a fact. Nominal = pertaining to the names of things. Aphasia = inability to remember.

Most of us have it to some degree. I just wondered whether you, as my oldest buddy (I think - same age as me, more or less?) around here had noticed it.

Tammie on 5/04/02 at 09:24 (082391)

I am sorry I missed it Julie, but here I wish you a belated Birthday with all the best wishes and the happiness to you for many years to come!! By the way I enjoyed listening to your soothing voice last night as I lay in a nice warm bath trying to relax . It was calming, not quite enough to put me to sleep but non the less it helped take my mind off the foot and the shopping trip with not one but 3 teenage girls last night. Oh my do not ever recomend it to any one unless they have no foot trouble and are part deaf as if you arent before the shopping you surely will be after! LOL oh well new day today and hope it is great for all! Thanks Julie for the tape I really enjoy listening to it. Hugs to you

Julie on 5/04/02 at 10:04 (082394)

Tammie, thank you very much - that's very sweet of you. And I'm glad that you're still using and enjoying the tape. The bath sounds a great place for it (be careful with your electricity connections, though!)

john h on 5/06/02 at 08:52 (082598)

Why am I not supprised about your movie list Julie? Those are probably the ones I would have selected for you. Happy birthday.

john h on 5/06/02 at 09:05 (082599)

I still have a decent memory Julie although like anyone I may on occasion have a momentary lapse. I think an active brain is a happy brain and like any machine it needs to be used. Actually computer use is probably very good exercise for the brain. I suspect as we age if we forget something we immediately think we have a problem. My biggest memory problem is remembering about 100 different passwords and and various numbers to access such things as ATM machines, on line accounts, etc. The brain is made to be used. I have a 42 year old doctor friend who developed alzheimers. It has now been about 3 years since he was first diagnosed and he has been committed to a nursing home as he cannot help himself or recognize anyone. I think he is the youngest person i have ever seen with this disease.

Sharon W on 5/06/02 at 09:59 (082607)

John,

You are right about exercising your mind being something that can help to improve your chances of not getting Alzheimers. I saw a study a couple of years ago comparing elderly people who played cards at least once a week with those who just watched TV, etc. Those who played cards (and thus, exercised their minds) had a reudced rate of developing Alzheimer's. Pretty cool, huh?

-- Sharon

Julie on 5/06/02 at 10:08 (082608)

Thanks, John. Aren't they some of your favourite movies too? Or not?

Yesterday I had the fantastic piece of luck of discovering ten minutes before it started in mid-afternoon that Charade was on TV. We video's it and watched it last night. I'd never seen it. How wonderful Audrey and Cary Grant both were, and how wonderful together. And those 60s Givenchy outfits. Wow!

I am in an Audrey Hepburn daze. Doesn't anyone else love her?

Julie on 5/06/02 at 11:29 (082624)

Active brain, happy brain - definitely, John. I agree with all you say, especially the bit about thinking, as we age, that we immediately suspect Alzeimer's or something similar every time we have a lapse. That will comfort me next time I have a senior moment...

Actually, I have quite a good memory. And ... oops. I forgot what I was about to say.

nancy s. on 5/06/02 at 11:45 (082630)

hi julie (who could write a mesmerizing book about crete),

did you see dean's post on the treatments board about exercising? his pt gave him some nasty stretches to do. i posted back to him and recommended that he not do them ... and then said i was sure you'd be responding too, since you're so knowledgeable on this subject. but i don't think you saw it.

now that i promised your time to someone without asking, would you forgive me and go help dean?

thank you.

sheepishly yours,
nancy
p.s. You see, i copied and pasted your descriptions of your good stretches some time ago, and have pasted them in for new posters before, but today i can't locate where i've filed them for some reason. sorry about that.

Julie on 5/06/02 at 13:04 (082640)

Hi Nancy

Yes, I did see Dean's post and yours, but I needed time to reread and try the exercises before responding. I did, an hour or so ago. I've also reposted the yoga exercises, (which I craftily saved in Word the last time I posted them, for future use).

A mesmerizing book about Crete? Ah! Now there's a thought. Thanks, my friend.

And I am so glad to hear you've had a couple of good, back-pain-less days.