Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shoes for Orthotics

Posted by Joe on 4/30/02 at 12:17 (081778)

Can anyone recommend a good men's shoe that works with orthotics? Both dress and casual. My main problem is that the othotic tends to slide forward in the shoe as I walk, resulting in the heel coming down on the back edge. For athletic shoes, New Balance have worked well for me, but I've having trouble finding a dress and a casual shoe.

Re: Shoes for Orthotics

Richard, C.Ped on 4/30/02 at 15:46 (081827)

This sounds like the orthosis has not been properly interfaced with the shoe. The orthosis should sit flat inside the shoe. If it is rounded on the bottom, it will more than likely be able to slide around.

Most men's shoes will accomodate an orthosis. Deck type shoes are a little harder to fit. When I wear mine with my orthosis, it does not feel very stable. Must be the flimsy heel counter.

A couple of my favorites are New Balance, Brooks, Drew, Sequoia, P.W. Minor and even some Rockport.
Richard

Suzanne D on 4/30/02 at 19:01 (081857)

I am having good luck with SAS walking shoes (Free Time). My 3/4 Birkenstock blue inserts work very well with them. The shoes have a removable insole which I am able to leave in as well.

There is a men's version of that shoe called Time Out, I believe.

Good luck to you!

Suzanne :-)

nancy s. on 4/30/02 at 21:13 (081881)

joe, i don't know if this applies for your situations, but have you ever worn anything like a birkenstock sandal for casual? my custom orthotics were quite thick and i couldn't fit them into any shoe. then i discovered the birkenstock tatami line -- those sandals have removable footbeds (i don't know if all of them do, but the two different tatami styles i've bought do).

my orthotics fit perfectly into the nebraska tatami birks when i removed the birk footbed. the straps were adjustable (buckles). they were the only shoe i ever found that fit my orthotics comfortably.

nancy

davidba on 5/01/02 at 09:33 (081937)

I've been wearing PW Minor shoes for the past couple of years with custom orthotics. Several of their styles are extra-depth and a couple are even super-extra depth. They're the most comfortable shoes I've found to wear with orthotics, since they are designed with orthotics in mind. They also come in very wide widths, which also can help. The shoes are difficult to find--you have to look for them at a shoe store that specializes in foot problems.

Richard, C.Ped on 4/30/02 at 15:46 (081827)

This sounds like the orthosis has not been properly interfaced with the shoe. The orthosis should sit flat inside the shoe. If it is rounded on the bottom, it will more than likely be able to slide around.

Most men's shoes will accomodate an orthosis. Deck type shoes are a little harder to fit. When I wear mine with my orthosis, it does not feel very stable. Must be the flimsy heel counter.

A couple of my favorites are New Balance, Brooks, Drew, Sequoia, P.W. Minor and even some Rockport.
Richard

Suzanne D on 4/30/02 at 19:01 (081857)

I am having good luck with SAS walking shoes (Free Time). My 3/4 Birkenstock blue inserts work very well with them. The shoes have a removable insole which I am able to leave in as well.

There is a men's version of that shoe called Time Out, I believe.

Good luck to you!

Suzanne :-)

nancy s. on 4/30/02 at 21:13 (081881)

joe, i don't know if this applies for your situations, but have you ever worn anything like a birkenstock sandal for casual? my custom orthotics were quite thick and i couldn't fit them into any shoe. then i discovered the birkenstock tatami line -- those sandals have removable footbeds (i don't know if all of them do, but the two different tatami styles i've bought do).

my orthotics fit perfectly into the nebraska tatami birks when i removed the birk footbed. the straps were adjustable (buckles). they were the only shoe i ever found that fit my orthotics comfortably.

nancy

davidba on 5/01/02 at 09:33 (081937)

I've been wearing PW Minor shoes for the past couple of years with custom orthotics. Several of their styles are extra-depth and a couple are even super-extra depth. They're the most comfortable shoes I've found to wear with orthotics, since they are designed with orthotics in mind. They also come in very wide widths, which also can help. The shoes are difficult to find--you have to look for them at a shoe store that specializes in foot problems.