Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

bone scan

Posted by Diana Whitmore on 4/30/02 at 15:14 (081816)

Hi just had a bone scan done and the xray showed a large abnormalty on my heel. been treated for planter fascitis and nothing has worked, the anti inflammotory med and arch support have not changed anything. there is no swelling just immense pain and a scan that shoes abnormalties.

Re: bone scan

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/30/02 at 15:20 (081819)

What abnormality does the bone scan, specifically show? Most cases of PF will show positive on the bone scan. One reason to do a bone scan is to rule out a stress fracture of the heel bone.
Ed

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/30/02 at 18:31 (081842)

I agree with Dr. Davis and again would suggest a soft tissue scan, such as MRI or diagnostic ultrasound. Both tests are non-invasive and give tremendous information.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. J Cione on 5/01/02 at 10:09 (081948)

A bone scan will most likely be positive in a case of insertional plantar fascitiis due to the periosteal inflammation at the insertion of the plantar ligament. This is a very non-specific test that will just show bony regeneration from a possible stress fracture or contusion (bone bruise) or a periosteal reaction (inflammation of the covering on the bone). A more specific test would be needed like an MRI or Diagnostic Ultrasound.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/01/02 at 16:15 (082019)

If there was one test to pick, the MRI would probably show the most information.
Ed

Diana Whitmore on 5/03/02 at 12:14 (082314)

hi i ended up with a stress fracture, sadly for 2weeks i was treated for plantar Facities and was told to walk on it Ouch!

Ed Davis, DPM on 4/30/02 at 15:20 (081819)

What abnormality does the bone scan, specifically show? Most cases of PF will show positive on the bone scan. One reason to do a bone scan is to rule out a stress fracture of the heel bone.
Ed

Dr. Cozzarelli on 4/30/02 at 18:31 (081842)

I agree with Dr. Davis and again would suggest a soft tissue scan, such as MRI or diagnostic ultrasound. Both tests are non-invasive and give tremendous information.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. J Cione on 5/01/02 at 10:09 (081948)

A bone scan will most likely be positive in a case of insertional plantar fascitiis due to the periosteal inflammation at the insertion of the plantar ligament. This is a very non-specific test that will just show bony regeneration from a possible stress fracture or contusion (bone bruise) or a periosteal reaction (inflammation of the covering on the bone). A more specific test would be needed like an MRI or Diagnostic Ultrasound.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/01/02 at 16:15 (082019)

If there was one test to pick, the MRI would probably show the most information.
Ed

Diana Whitmore on 5/03/02 at 12:14 (082314)

hi i ended up with a stress fracture, sadly for 2weeks i was treated for plantar Facities and was told to walk on it Ouch!