Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

cortizone shots

Posted by Daniel C. on 5/01/02 at 02:24 (081900)

How long do the shots last? I heard that the relief is only temporary. Is this true?

Thanks for the help!!

Re: cortizone shots

Dr. Cozzarelli on 5/01/02 at 04:48 (081908)

Hi Daniel:

Everyone responds different. If the injection contains Marcaine (Bupivicaine) this can make the numbness last much longer. I firmly believe that the relief is temporary anywhere from a couple of days to four days. I rarely do cortiosne injections because of the negative effects. When we use this treatment we use short acting soluble (Phosphate) forms . We avoid the insoluble (Acetate) for,s of the anti-inflammatory. I have found that if a person has done some level of pounding, (Ethnic dancing, high impact aerobics or marching) a cortissone injection works nicely to alleviate the inflammation. With fasciitis I have found that you need to address the etiology and try not to treatthe symptoms.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. J Cione on 5/01/02 at 10:04 (081943)

Unfortunately, cortisone shots in the heel provide temporary relief of symptoms. They are usually reserved for the more severe case of Fasciitis. I have had a handful of patients that did very well with them but not many.The treatment regiman should be aimed at resolving the cause of the problem as opposed to resoliving symptoms temporarily. I hope this helps.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 5/01/02 at 04:48 (081908)

Hi Daniel:

Everyone responds different. If the injection contains Marcaine (Bupivicaine) this can make the numbness last much longer. I firmly believe that the relief is temporary anywhere from a couple of days to four days. I rarely do cortiosne injections because of the negative effects. When we use this treatment we use short acting soluble (Phosphate) forms . We avoid the insoluble (Acetate) for,s of the anti-inflammatory. I have found that if a person has done some level of pounding, (Ethnic dancing, high impact aerobics or marching) a cortissone injection works nicely to alleviate the inflammation. With fasciitis I have found that you need to address the etiology and try not to treatthe symptoms.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. J Cione on 5/01/02 at 10:04 (081943)

Unfortunately, cortisone shots in the heel provide temporary relief of symptoms. They are usually reserved for the more severe case of Fasciitis. I have had a handful of patients that did very well with them but not many.The treatment regiman should be aimed at resolving the cause of the problem as opposed to resoliving symptoms temporarily. I hope this helps.