Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

And she's off! Once again....

Posted by Carmen on 5/01/02 at 06:46 (081914)

to the Physiatrist and podiatrist and to pick up art work from a customer in this rainy icky Atlanta day.
I was referred to the Physiatrist by my orthopedic...I said I'd only go if he looked at me from the back on down to the feet....No more wasted trips on just feet pleae. Not with so many other signs going on.
SO it's off to Austell then to Roswell and back to Marietta...also setting up my gait analysis and biomechanical testing with the PT's today.
Doctors doctors doctors!
ugh.

Re: And she's off! Once again....

Suzanne D on 5/01/02 at 11:59 (081976)

When I read the title of your post, Carmen, it made me think of the Derby: 'And they're off..!' You can tell I'm from Kentucky, can't you?! Actually, I've never been to the Ky Derby, but of course I've wateched it on t.v. many times. (I can't help but wonder if John H will write and say he has been to the Ky Derby! As Nancy said, it seems he has been so many places!) Growing up, I was always more interested in seeing the ladies' hats and outfits on 'millionaire's row' than the horses! (Sorry, Rachel, and any other horse lovers who may read this!) :-)

I hope you have good luck at the doctors you visit today!

Suzanne :-)

Sharon W on 5/01/02 at 13:20 (081989)

Carmen,

That's a lot of medical stuff for one day!

I haven't had the gait analysis testing and biomechanical testing... what kind of Dr. is doing it for you? I hope you'll post about what it was like!

I'll be interested to find out how the appointment with the physiatrist turned out, too... I checked, but there AREN'T ANY around here, so...

Do you go to a pod, too, as well as the orthopedist?

-- Sharon

Carmen on 5/01/02 at 15:49 (082009)

Well the Gait analysis was done at the Orthopedics office...it'll be two weeks before the report comes back. Tells about my step, where my weight hits the hardest etc...
The biomechanics test is a 'to the side' deal my Physical Therapists are going to do for me....we are dong it after hours with my video camera on the treadmill. They are doing a series of tests on my back, lower extremities etc... and recording results due to measurements and so on and sending it to a guy (physical therp. as well) in VA. who specializes in PF and how biomechanics may be causing it or making it worse. and just biomech. in general as I have other issues with hamstrings and stuff too.
Today was a VERY icky day.....the physi. has NO idea what's wrong with my hips and glutes...he will be reviewing my MRI's, Xrays and blood tests from last year, YET another important reason to journal and keep track of your records b/c I have everything here already.
ugh...just disappointing results is all. Tomorrow is a new day.
tahnks for your posts Sharon!!

linda a on 5/02/02 at 07:12 (082095)

that's what i was thinking too . i live in the louisville area and have only been to the Ky derby one time ( infield area ) . i am not the drinking type , but it sure was a site to see all the people . the day i went it slightly rain . the Derby weather is so unpredictible . one yr it snowed . yes, i think john would be ' hat looker ' at the derby . one of my class projects at Uof L was interviewing some of horse trainers for a new horse product . it was quite a experience . i do wish to see the horse's on the backside during the early morning hrs during their training . linda (Ky)

Pam B on 5/02/02 at 07:28 (082096)

Carmen, I will be extremely interested in what happens here...I will be watching your posts closely :) I think what you are doing is the key to recovery my friend....you are a true leader.....good luck :)

Re: Carmen: gait analysis and collecting records

Sharon W on 5/02/02 at 09:25 (082111)

Carmen,

The gait analysis you had was the computerized type? Is it like a pressure-sensitive pad you walk across, or what? I have a hard time imagining it...

You posted about the importance of collecting together all your records. That is MUCH more easily said than done!! How do you talk your doctors into giving you copies of all your tests, etc.? When we lived in Chile this was not a problem for us. In Chile, the patientpays for the test, so the test results belong to the PATIENT. The patient then brings test results, X-rays, etc. to various doctors for review as appropriate. I think it's a MUCH more reasonable system than we have in the U.S.!!! (Of course, in Chile you DO have to keep track of your own records...)

The attitude her is the U.S. is: 'The doctor orders the tests; the rest results belong to the doctor, and the doctor decides who is allowed to look at them.' That caused us a big problem recently. Our family Dr. has been monitoring our youngest daughter for anemia. For almost 2 years, our daughter's hemoglobin and hematocrit have been below normal range, but usually only slightly below...

There is a Local Hematologist who has and EXCELLENT reputation, but He doesn't see patients younger than 16. This past February when our daughter turned 16, I got the family dr. to set up an appointment with the Important Hematologist. I heard her tell her nurse to fax our daughter's blood labs to His office. Of course, when we finally got to see the Important Hematologist, He complained that the only records He'd received were the most recent blood labs. I promised we would contact our Dr's office and explain the problem and ask them to send the rest of the labs to His office, which we did. But on our return appointment with the Important Hematologist, we learned that our Dr's office had faxed another copy of those same recent blood labs, and nothing else!

So, the next time I saw our family Dr., I complained, explaining that the Important Hematologist was trying to decide in an intravenous iron infusion was appropriate and to make that decision He needed to see ALL of our daughter's blood labs. So she told her nurse to zerox ALL the labs and give them to ME to take to the Important hematologist, knowing THAT would assure he finally got copies!

If she had givem me copies of those labs when they were first done, I would have had those records available and the whole problem would have been avoided. PATIENTS SHOULD HAVE COPIES OF THEIR OWN LAB RESULTS!

-- Sharon

Suzanne D on 5/01/02 at 11:59 (081976)

When I read the title of your post, Carmen, it made me think of the Derby: 'And they're off..!' You can tell I'm from Kentucky, can't you?! Actually, I've never been to the Ky Derby, but of course I've wateched it on t.v. many times. (I can't help but wonder if John H will write and say he has been to the Ky Derby! As Nancy said, it seems he has been so many places!) Growing up, I was always more interested in seeing the ladies' hats and outfits on 'millionaire's row' than the horses! (Sorry, Rachel, and any other horse lovers who may read this!) :-)

I hope you have good luck at the doctors you visit today!

Suzanne :-)

Sharon W on 5/01/02 at 13:20 (081989)

Carmen,

That's a lot of medical stuff for one day!

I haven't had the gait analysis testing and biomechanical testing... what kind of Dr. is doing it for you? I hope you'll post about what it was like!

I'll be interested to find out how the appointment with the physiatrist turned out, too... I checked, but there AREN'T ANY around here, so...

Do you go to a pod, too, as well as the orthopedist?

-- Sharon

Carmen on 5/01/02 at 15:49 (082009)

Well the Gait analysis was done at the Orthopedics office...it'll be two weeks before the report comes back. Tells about my step, where my weight hits the hardest etc...
The biomechanics test is a 'to the side' deal my Physical Therapists are going to do for me....we are dong it after hours with my video camera on the treadmill. They are doing a series of tests on my back, lower extremities etc... and recording results due to measurements and so on and sending it to a guy (physical therp. as well) in VA. who specializes in PF and how biomechanics may be causing it or making it worse. and just biomech. in general as I have other issues with hamstrings and stuff too.
Today was a VERY icky day.....the physi. has NO idea what's wrong with my hips and glutes...he will be reviewing my MRI's, Xrays and blood tests from last year, YET another important reason to journal and keep track of your records b/c I have everything here already.
ugh...just disappointing results is all. Tomorrow is a new day.
tahnks for your posts Sharon!!

linda a on 5/02/02 at 07:12 (082095)

that's what i was thinking too . i live in the louisville area and have only been to the Ky derby one time ( infield area ) . i am not the drinking type , but it sure was a site to see all the people . the day i went it slightly rain . the Derby weather is so unpredictible . one yr it snowed . yes, i think john would be ' hat looker ' at the derby . one of my class projects at Uof L was interviewing some of horse trainers for a new horse product . it was quite a experience . i do wish to see the horse's on the backside during the early morning hrs during their training . linda (Ky)

Pam B on 5/02/02 at 07:28 (082096)

Carmen, I will be extremely interested in what happens here...I will be watching your posts closely :) I think what you are doing is the key to recovery my friend....you are a true leader.....good luck :)

Re: Carmen: gait analysis and collecting records

Sharon W on 5/02/02 at 09:25 (082111)

Carmen,

The gait analysis you had was the computerized type? Is it like a pressure-sensitive pad you walk across, or what? I have a hard time imagining it...

You posted about the importance of collecting together all your records. That is MUCH more easily said than done!! How do you talk your doctors into giving you copies of all your tests, etc.? When we lived in Chile this was not a problem for us. In Chile, the patientpays for the test, so the test results belong to the PATIENT. The patient then brings test results, X-rays, etc. to various doctors for review as appropriate. I think it's a MUCH more reasonable system than we have in the U.S.!!! (Of course, in Chile you DO have to keep track of your own records...)

The attitude her is the U.S. is: 'The doctor orders the tests; the rest results belong to the doctor, and the doctor decides who is allowed to look at them.' That caused us a big problem recently. Our family Dr. has been monitoring our youngest daughter for anemia. For almost 2 years, our daughter's hemoglobin and hematocrit have been below normal range, but usually only slightly below...

There is a Local Hematologist who has and EXCELLENT reputation, but He doesn't see patients younger than 16. This past February when our daughter turned 16, I got the family dr. to set up an appointment with the Important Hematologist. I heard her tell her nurse to fax our daughter's blood labs to His office. Of course, when we finally got to see the Important Hematologist, He complained that the only records He'd received were the most recent blood labs. I promised we would contact our Dr's office and explain the problem and ask them to send the rest of the labs to His office, which we did. But on our return appointment with the Important Hematologist, we learned that our Dr's office had faxed another copy of those same recent blood labs, and nothing else!

So, the next time I saw our family Dr., I complained, explaining that the Important Hematologist was trying to decide in an intravenous iron infusion was appropriate and to make that decision He needed to see ALL of our daughter's blood labs. So she told her nurse to zerox ALL the labs and give them to ME to take to the Important hematologist, knowing THAT would assure he finally got copies!

If she had givem me copies of those labs when they were first done, I would have had those records available and the whole problem would have been avoided. PATIENTS SHOULD HAVE COPIES OF THEIR OWN LAB RESULTS!

-- Sharon