Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EDWT and Insurance

Posted by patb on 5/01/02 at 07:18 (081921)

Does anyone know of ANY insurance that will pay for this procedure?

Re: EDWT and Insurance

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/01/02 at 07:57 (081922)

Path:

We have seen United Healthcare cover procedure on ceratin cases. Blue Cross Blue Shield of NJ are now in the midst of aprroving cases with detailed documaentation.

Dr. John Cozzareelli

Re: EDWT and Insurance plz anser sonn as can thx

lisa k on 5/01/02 at 08:44 (081928)

i just got a letter approving eswt, but thenmy pod dicovered tear deatch and have been in camwalker 3 weeks now is it still a helpful procedure if you have an mri showing this in the medial area also i am still inpain and believe this tear accoured a few months ago at an agressive PT after 3 cortisone shots ,how long should a person wait and if a tear is indicated is it much riskier thanks

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/01/02 at 11:38 (081969)

Hi Lisa:
I would look at this as if you have had a fasciectomy performed. In theory it should feel better. I think I would hold off on the ESWT. This is a very difficult decision to make. I tink your doc is doing the right thing. The time frame is very hard to say. The MRI would show what level the healing process is at. I hope this hleps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/02/02 at 13:27 (082149)

The real question is how long have you had the tear, the degree of tear and how much respond to the tear. I have performed ESWT on pateints that had a micro-tear post local steriod injection. The mri never showed the tear how my experience and clinical examination did confirm an incomplete tear. Ok so after six months of physical therapy , cam walker, rest and no signicant relief, ESWT was used and the patient is pain free for over one year. You must remember with ESWT it is a repairing process and still takes up to 12 weeks or more for healing to take place

lisa k on 5/03/02 at 01:00 (082248)

thank you Dr Cozzarelli for your response have a great day lisa k

Re: EDWT and Insurance plz anser sonn as can thx/new ?2may

lisa k on 5/03/02 at 01:03 (082249)

what is the best wya after the intial mri to show if it has healled ,just going by whether in pain do insurances pay for mri or ultasound type of imaging that would sho now dr say maybe 8 weeks with this thing ,i dont quite understand -also if i had the tear 6 months prior can it still heal by this rest cam walker therapy than you so much DR. Z.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 5/05/02 at 06:36 (082477)

LisaK:

Insurance companies will pay for repeat studies. I actually love Diagnostic Ultrasound because the test is dynamic as opposed to a static MRI, meaning that ith the diagnostic ultrasound you can bend your foot and actually see the fascial band inflammed moving and or torn. The test is roughly 1/10 the cost of an MRI. I hope this information helps you.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Re: EDWT and Insurance

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/01/02 at 07:57 (081922)

Path:

We have seen United Healthcare cover procedure on ceratin cases. Blue Cross Blue Shield of NJ are now in the midst of aprroving cases with detailed documaentation.

Dr. John Cozzareelli

lisa k on 5/01/02 at 08:44 (081928)

i just got a letter approving eswt, but thenmy pod dicovered tear deatch and have been in camwalker 3 weeks now is it still a helpful procedure if you have an mri showing this in the medial area also i am still inpain and believe this tear accoured a few months ago at an agressive PT after 3 cortisone shots ,how long should a person wait and if a tear is indicated is it much riskier thanks

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/01/02 at 11:38 (081969)

Hi Lisa:
I would look at this as if you have had a fasciectomy performed. In theory it should feel better. I think I would hold off on the ESWT. This is a very difficult decision to make. I tink your doc is doing the right thing. The time frame is very hard to say. The MRI would show what level the healing process is at. I hope this hleps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/02/02 at 13:27 (082149)

The real question is how long have you had the tear, the degree of tear and how much respond to the tear. I have performed ESWT on pateints that had a micro-tear post local steriod injection. The mri never showed the tear how my experience and clinical examination did confirm an incomplete tear. Ok so after six months of physical therapy , cam walker, rest and no signicant relief, ESWT was used and the patient is pain free for over one year. You must remember with ESWT it is a repairing process and still takes up to 12 weeks or more for healing to take place

lisa k on 5/03/02 at 01:00 (082248)

thank you Dr Cozzarelli for your response have a great day lisa k

lisa k on 5/03/02 at 01:03 (082249)

what is the best wya after the intial mri to show if it has healled ,just going by whether in pain do insurances pay for mri or ultasound type of imaging that would sho now dr say maybe 8 weeks with this thing ,i dont quite understand -also if i had the tear 6 months prior can it still heal by this rest cam walker therapy than you so much DR. Z.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 5/05/02 at 06:36 (082477)

LisaK:

Insurance companies will pay for repeat studies. I actually love Diagnostic Ultrasound because the test is dynamic as opposed to a static MRI, meaning that ith the diagnostic ultrasound you can bend your foot and actually see the fascial band inflammed moving and or torn. The test is roughly 1/10 the cost of an MRI. I hope this information helps you.

Dr. John Cozzarelli