Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Weather affecting pain

Posted by michelec on 5/01/02 at 09:32 (081936)

I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them while recovering from surgery. I have noticed that I have more pain (it's not severe) on days when it's raining than on sunny days. As I've been virtually pain-free since my surgery on April 19, I'm curious as to why the weather affects it.

Re: Weather affecting pain

john h on 5/01/02 at 11:26 (081966)

I think many of us have found that weather has an effect on our pain either real or perceived. I have never read any scientific proof of this but many arthritis sufferers and athletes with damaged joints report pain increase with cool damp weather and low pressure.

Pam B on 5/02/02 at 07:39 (082099)

Michele, I believe it is the baromomic pressure change in the air during weather changes in addition to arthritic changes....I discovered this following my first back surgery when I discovered it to be chronic....it is nasty here today and I am having a consideral amount of pain in both my back and my ankle.....I hope you will have better weather today :)

Marie P on 5/08/02 at 06:40 (082980)

yes i can say for sure that i know when it is going to rain, I feel it in my back first where i have a little bit of arthritis, then my feet and they don't like it at all.Cold weather as well affects it but as I live in Brisbane Australia we get a fairly even temp range throughout the year and most of our rain is in summer when it's hot so it helps

john h on 5/01/02 at 11:26 (081966)

I think many of us have found that weather has an effect on our pain either real or perceived. I have never read any scientific proof of this but many arthritis sufferers and athletes with damaged joints report pain increase with cool damp weather and low pressure.

Pam B on 5/02/02 at 07:39 (082099)

Michele, I believe it is the baromomic pressure change in the air during weather changes in addition to arthritic changes....I discovered this following my first back surgery when I discovered it to be chronic....it is nasty here today and I am having a consideral amount of pain in both my back and my ankle.....I hope you will have better weather today :)

Marie P on 5/08/02 at 06:40 (082980)

yes i can say for sure that i know when it is going to rain, I feel it in my back first where i have a little bit of arthritis, then my feet and they don't like it at all.Cold weather as well affects it but as I live in Brisbane Australia we get a fairly even temp range throughout the year and most of our rain is in summer when it's hot so it helps