Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

be careful ie stretching

Posted by lisa k on 5/01/02 at 10:27 (081957)

over stretching, and too agressive too early PT right after 3rd steroid shot- i got tear& partial detachment from inside heel area ,confrmd on mri ,pain is a signal use it wisely,i think there is a tendancy to just jump back into activies to soon or 'no pain no gain'& push the foot too hard take care stan have a great day lisak

Re: be careful ie stretching

Mike W on 5/01/02 at 12:02 (081977)

Hello Lisa,

Could you please describe the stretching exercises you performed.

lisa k on 5/03/02 at 00:37 (082244)

yes it was at a sport type Physical therapy, each session would use a round disc that had ball on bottom and try to balnce rolling it around, also tring to balnce on bad foot on trampoline could not do but tried very hard goin every which way with my foot twisting,felt pain -2nd stepped on woode inclineboard placing heels at bottom at lean forward all the way to suppot stick from abdomen-3rd on a nautilis machine was told to put just ends of toes front part of ball of foot and use that reclining but with 60lbs pushing the foot table forwrd, hurt also told to press hard oon rooling pin device and steel baseball ----dont think i was ever wrmed up 4th -bike put not positioning right i think pressed down hard with resistance at each peddal varing heel and ball-----------all in all if i didnt already have a tear im sure it happed then after each session i was in pain(though i thought well they must know my foot and no pain no gain) WRONG i had a 3rd steroid shot the day before starting these sessions which i think may also contributed after i pleaded for mri and tear detachment showed ,Pod now says absolutly no activity cam cast 24/7 ,always elevate no stretching or weight bearing ,for 4-8 weeks ?(DRIviNG out too and am goin a lil nuts)lay foot on ice only /-reverse -of what they were doing i think i know more about my foot and pain is a signal no matter what to ease stop take care lisa k

Julie on 5/03/02 at 02:59 (082263)

Lisa, that's incredible. I can't believe that anyone gave those exercises to someone with foot pain who had just had a cortisone shot. What a hard way to learn the lesson that pain is always a signal to stop doing whatever is causing the pain. 'No Pain No Gain' that old saw of the days of impact aerobics, was discredited years ago.

No-one knows your foot, or any other part of you, better than you do. Trust yourself where exercise is concerned, whatever anyone else says. It sounds as though your pod has given you excellent advice, and I'm sure you're following it to the letter.

Mike W on 5/03/02 at 11:37 (082306)

Lisa,

Thank you for the descriptions of your PT routine.

I hope you heal up quickly!

Regards,

Mike W

Mike W on 5/01/02 at 12:02 (081977)

Hello Lisa,

Could you please describe the stretching exercises you performed.

lisa k on 5/03/02 at 00:37 (082244)

yes it was at a sport type Physical therapy, each session would use a round disc that had ball on bottom and try to balnce rolling it around, also tring to balnce on bad foot on trampoline could not do but tried very hard goin every which way with my foot twisting,felt pain -2nd stepped on woode inclineboard placing heels at bottom at lean forward all the way to suppot stick from abdomen-3rd on a nautilis machine was told to put just ends of toes front part of ball of foot and use that reclining but with 60lbs pushing the foot table forwrd, hurt also told to press hard oon rooling pin device and steel baseball ----dont think i was ever wrmed up 4th -bike put not positioning right i think pressed down hard with resistance at each peddal varing heel and ball-----------all in all if i didnt already have a tear im sure it happed then after each session i was in pain(though i thought well they must know my foot and no pain no gain) WRONG i had a 3rd steroid shot the day before starting these sessions which i think may also contributed after i pleaded for mri and tear detachment showed ,Pod now says absolutly no activity cam cast 24/7 ,always elevate no stretching or weight bearing ,for 4-8 weeks ?(DRIviNG out too and am goin a lil nuts)lay foot on ice only /-reverse -of what they were doing i think i know more about my foot and pain is a signal no matter what to ease stop take care lisa k

Julie on 5/03/02 at 02:59 (082263)

Lisa, that's incredible. I can't believe that anyone gave those exercises to someone with foot pain who had just had a cortisone shot. What a hard way to learn the lesson that pain is always a signal to stop doing whatever is causing the pain. 'No Pain No Gain' that old saw of the days of impact aerobics, was discredited years ago.

No-one knows your foot, or any other part of you, better than you do. Trust yourself where exercise is concerned, whatever anyone else says. It sounds as though your pod has given you excellent advice, and I'm sure you're following it to the letter.

Mike W on 5/03/02 at 11:37 (082306)

Lisa,

Thank you for the descriptions of your PT routine.

I hope you heal up quickly!

Regards,

Mike W