Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

new thread regarding my potential surg

Posted by Lisa G on 5/01/02 at 12:15 (081978)

hi everyone...i can't tell you how i appreciate all the advice i am getting...although i have to admit...i am now more confused and scared than ever...but i have a new list of questions to ask my doctor...but i also have a couple questions to ask you guys...if you don't mind ;) i am planning on taking all this info with me to my next appt...but it is nice to have advice from people who have done this before...which is why this message board is here i guess...ok...anyway...here are my questions...

1. john h...you suggested having MIS...i'm not sure what that is...

2. people have recommended night splints for my tight calves and achilles tendon...i tried night splints before...but my feet were numb and swollen when i woke up...should i try again?

3. if i have any kind of surg...should i then go to night splints to keep my calves stretched? my tight calves...and tight tendons have been an ongoing problem...eventhough i stretch daily...and i know they are part of the cause of this entire mess...

i guess that is it for now...thanks again for all your help...i SOOOOOO appreciate it... lisa =)

Re: oops forgot something...duh...

Lisa G on 5/01/02 at 12:26 (081981)

this has probably been addressed before...so please bear with me as i am new here :)...

my dr recommended having EPF on both feet at the same time...i have a chronic pain condition...so i think that is why he said he would like to do both at once...have my body go through the trauma all at once...

but after having read all the responses...i am going to ask him about the open procedure vs the endoscopic procedure...and i also have to ask him about my tendon/heel problem again...and get a more definitive anser...

ok...i think i'm done now...thanks again!! i wish i could give everyone who responds to my posts a huge hug!

lisa

Re: new thread regarding my potential surg

john h on 5/01/02 at 12:29 (081982)

If I were to have surgery (again) for PF I would have the Baxter Procedure or Minimal Invasive Surgery (MIS). My very last choice would be Endoscopic Surgery. Before I would do any of this I would have ESWT.

john h on 5/01/02 at 12:37 (081984)

Lisa: As with any surgery get a second opinion no matter how well you like your Doctor. It is somehthing you will have to live with for life so make sure you have all the information you can get. Ask your second opinion doctor about double surgery, does he recommend surgery, what kind of surgery,etc. This might be the most valuable $100 you will ever spend even if you have to pay yourself.

michelec on 5/01/02 at 16:41 (082023)

Lisa I used the night splint for about 6 months before I had surgery. I only ever wore it 2 hours at the most. The velcro straps would catch on my sheets so I couldn't wear it to bed. But more importantly, my doc advised me NOT to wear it for more than 2 hours at a time because of numbness. Is yours the kind that you can adjust the tension (the angle between the foot and the leg)? I started out at an angle that was comfortable for about 15 minutes before tingling occurred. And then I would increase the time I wore it each night until I reached 2 hours and then I would increase the angle again. I wore it on both feet as well. One , and then the other. Since I am still in a cast from my surgery I haven't asked about using it afterwards yet. I do still use it on my good foot. I cannot imagine having both feet done at the same time though. When I wear the night splint on one foot and have the walking cast on the other, I am totally immobile. I have a heel spur on the foot that didn't have surgery and I'm concerned that using it all the time might aggravate it but, so far it hasn't been bad.

Good luck with your decision.

Lisa G on 5/01/02 at 12:26 (081981)

this has probably been addressed before...so please bear with me as i am new here :)...

my dr recommended having EPF on both feet at the same time...i have a chronic pain condition...so i think that is why he said he would like to do both at once...have my body go through the trauma all at once...

but after having read all the responses...i am going to ask him about the open procedure vs the endoscopic procedure...and i also have to ask him about my tendon/heel problem again...and get a more definitive anser...

ok...i think i'm done now...thanks again!! i wish i could give everyone who responds to my posts a huge hug!

lisa

john h on 5/01/02 at 12:29 (081982)

If I were to have surgery (again) for PF I would have the Baxter Procedure or Minimal Invasive Surgery (MIS). My very last choice would be Endoscopic Surgery. Before I would do any of this I would have ESWT.

john h on 5/01/02 at 12:37 (081984)

Lisa: As with any surgery get a second opinion no matter how well you like your Doctor. It is somehthing you will have to live with for life so make sure you have all the information you can get. Ask your second opinion doctor about double surgery, does he recommend surgery, what kind of surgery,etc. This might be the most valuable $100 you will ever spend even if you have to pay yourself.

michelec on 5/01/02 at 16:41 (082023)

Lisa I used the night splint for about 6 months before I had surgery. I only ever wore it 2 hours at the most. The velcro straps would catch on my sheets so I couldn't wear it to bed. But more importantly, my doc advised me NOT to wear it for more than 2 hours at a time because of numbness. Is yours the kind that you can adjust the tension (the angle between the foot and the leg)? I started out at an angle that was comfortable for about 15 minutes before tingling occurred. And then I would increase the time I wore it each night until I reached 2 hours and then I would increase the angle again. I wore it on both feet as well. One , and then the other. Since I am still in a cast from my surgery I haven't asked about using it afterwards yet. I do still use it on my good foot. I cannot imagine having both feet done at the same time though. When I wear the night splint on one foot and have the walking cast on the other, I am totally immobile. I have a heel spur on the foot that didn't have surgery and I'm concerned that using it all the time might aggravate it but, so far it hasn't been bad.

Good luck with your decision.