Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tarsal tunnel release

Posted by Eddie G on 5/01/02 at 14:32 (082002)

12 months ago I had an 80% partial tear in my Achilles tendon. While in a fiberglass cast something happened (walking maybe) to cause mild-acute pain in my arch area. Achilles recovered with physical therapy, but spiking pain and symptoms of tarsal tunnel (dullness in toes, red toes, lack of feeling in toes, swelling) persisted.

2 months ago went through tarsal tunnel release. Currently injured foot is 15% redder, sporadic spiking pain, swollen, and have to wear a stretch 'sock' all the time. When I take the sock off, spiking pain increases. To walk more than 500 feet, have to take percocet, which takes pain away, but tired all this time (no fun).

So I am wondering what to do. How long do I wait until doing something? How normal is this? Besides my foot doctor and surgeon (different doctor and busy), is there someone else I should/can go see. I am wondering if I have a nerve problem that the tarsal tunnel release did not help and thus should go see a nerve surgeonů

Thanks, Eddie G (email removed)

Re: tarsal tunnel release

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/01/02 at 16:18 (082020)

A lot of questions arise. Was the tarsal tunel syndrome related to the cast? Was an NCV performed? How swollen is your foot? Is the pain worse than before the surgery?
Ed

Re: tarsal tunnel release cont.

Eddie G on 5/01/02 at 21:35 (082074)

I think the nerve was damaged while wearing the cast. The pain in my arch started 2 months after the original injury. A NCV was not performed, but I did go to a nerve doctor. He confirmed I had tarsal tunnel by observing symptoms and rubbing foot with cotton (no feeling in toes), said NCV was not necessary. Prescribed 2 medicines that had little success, cortisone shots did little either. Current swelling is - ankle circumference is ~ 1 ½' more than normal. Most of the swelling is on the right side of my left foot (where the surgery was performed and where the pain is). Yes the pain is worse since surgery. This is part of my concern. Thanks.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/02/02 at 20:31 (082209)

A tarsal tunnel release may be needed. Do your doctors have any suggestions as to why the swelling is persisting?
Ed

Re: tarsal tunnel release

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/01/02 at 16:18 (082020)

A lot of questions arise. Was the tarsal tunel syndrome related to the cast? Was an NCV performed? How swollen is your foot? Is the pain worse than before the surgery?
Ed

Eddie G on 5/01/02 at 21:35 (082074)

I think the nerve was damaged while wearing the cast. The pain in my arch started 2 months after the original injury. A NCV was not performed, but I did go to a nerve doctor. He confirmed I had tarsal tunnel by observing symptoms and rubbing foot with cotton (no feeling in toes), said NCV was not necessary. Prescribed 2 medicines that had little success, cortisone shots did little either. Current swelling is - ankle circumference is ~ 1 ½' more than normal. Most of the swelling is on the right side of my left foot (where the surgery was performed and where the pain is). Yes the pain is worse since surgery. This is part of my concern. Thanks.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/02/02 at 20:31 (082209)

A tarsal tunnel release may be needed. Do your doctors have any suggestions as to why the swelling is persisting?
Ed