Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How many people have had ESWT Over 12 weeks ago?

Posted by Shane on 5/01/02 at 16:13 (082017)

Any people that are here on the board have ESWT done over 12 weeks ago? If so, what is your outcome? Painfree? Did anyone require an additional treament and then was cured? Or are you doing so well now and you'll never have to return here again to post messages! I'm getting ESWT w/ Dr. Z. next week - looking forward to having a normal lifestyle again. Wish me luck.

Shane

Re: How many people have had ESWT Over 12 weeks ago?

Monte on 5/01/02 at 20:02 (082061)

Shane...I am going for my 2nd treatment on May 7th..this time with the Donier machine. It has been 12 weeks since my first treatment with Dr Z. I think the spot that he worked on is better than before. It is not cured. The therapy has a cummalative affect so this time should mark more healing. Also, the new machine can find the trouble spots better because it has a sonogram hooked up to it. Good luck next week. Please be patient afterwards and careful. Follow the doctors after care instructions.

BrianG on 5/02/02 at 18:08 (082178)

Hi Monte,
Just wondering if your 1st ESWT treatment was with the O, or the D machine? Good luck this time around....BrianG

Monte on 5/02/02 at 22:20 (082233)

Hi Brian
My first treatment was with the O. This will be the first time with the Donier. I am nervous because I didn't need any ankle block the first time around and now they use a block with this machine.

How was it for you? How are you feeling these days...did you get some relief? I hope you are coming along well...you deserve it after all this time. We all deserve it! Let me know about your experience so far.

Thanks

BrianG on 5/04/02 at 10:57 (082397)

Hi Monte,

I'm still about the same. My heels feel bruised where I was shocked, bt there was no discloring. It's nothing I can't handle, and I know that part of the treatment will be healing soon. About the block, just be glad it's avilable to you. I would never advise anyone to get the Dornier treatment without the block. I had some major pain in my right foot during the treatment. I know I had the block, and my foot felt numb, but for some reason, that particular area of my heel could feel the pain. Since I did have the Lidocaine, I don't know if I had the 'full pain' or 'partial pain'. All I know, is that it hurt, and I'm really thankfull I had no pain during the first heel. The diamater of the shock wave is so small, I can see how the Lidocaine might 'miss' that particular area.

It's only been about 3 weeks, which means I still have to be patient. I've been pretty good to my feet since they were zapped, and still feel this is my best shot for recovery. Good luck with yours.

BrianG

Robin P on 5/04/02 at 13:32 (082407)

The Dornier system you used focuses the energy into a relatively small volume and this causes much more pain than is the case where the energy is dispersed. A more modern system, the Orthospec puts out shockwaves in a more diverse therapy zone with the result that no anaesthesia or sedation is needed and the results are excellent.

Recent clinical studies in leading Orthopaedic surgery jourals show that shockwave therapy is effective in treating plantar fasciitis. The therapy is available at the Hospital of St John and Elizabeth in London, England.

More details are available on http://www.genmedhealth.com

BrianG on 5/04/02 at 21:38 (082456)

Story of my life. I just get the latest and greatest, approved by the FDA, and the next generation ESWT is already out!!
Actually, I'm happy I had the Dornier, as it's designed to be one treatment. Great for people like me that drove for 6+ hours, each direction. The new Orthospec requires two treatments, that are two weeks apart. I suppose this would be good if the treatment center was much closer, but everything has to be weighed for each treatment. Which machine will work best for each person. Thanks for the info.

BrianG

Monte on 5/04/02 at 23:27 (082461)

I am a little nervous. I did well with the O machine both during treatment and after. I don't think the treatment can make me worse. I hope the ankle block works. Can I return to my desk job the next day? WIll I need a mild pain killer at some time?

Thanks for the input. I pray that we get better my friend.

DR Zuckerman on 5/05/02 at 00:29 (082464)

Don't worry it sounds like a low energy machine and won't be out for some time. The dornier one year post treatment results are just as good if not better.

BrianG on 5/05/02 at 10:54 (082495)

I don't think you'll have any problem working the next day, unless you have a job where you are on your feet all day. As soon as the treatment was over, Dr. Z. numbed that heel with Lidocaine and I was OK to drive home. Overall, it has not hurt as much as I thought it might, while getting the treatment. Like I said earlier, it feels like a bruise, nothing more. I don't think you'll have too much pain, but being the pain wimp that I am, I would try to have some pain meds available, just in case. I take them every day, so it wasn't an issue for me. For me, the treatment, was worse than the recovery has been. Go for it, dude :*) It's time to heal!!!

BrianG

PS I just read you have a desk job, piece of cake!

monte on 5/08/02 at 09:53 (083022)

Brian

I had the treatment yesterday. It did not hurt...the needles worked. Today I am sore as heck...but it will ease up. How are you doing?

Monte

Monte on 5/14/02 at 21:15 (083930)

Brian...how are you feeling? It has been a week and I am flaring up. The feet hurt. I guess it is from the trauma caused by the shock waves. But one strange thing has happened...the nerve in my left foot has become sensative. I feel it pulling all the way to my big and second toes when I lift my leg with the knee straight. I can also feel it pull if I bend over at the waist. The doctor said this will pass. I guess the needle irritated the tarsal nerve when they numbed my feet. What do you think?

Pauline on 5/15/02 at 16:50 (084054)

Monte,
I think it would be interesting to have patient's that have been treated with the Ossatron repost their post treatment experiences at various weeks again just to compare with the experiences of those being treated with the Dornier machine. Both machines are high power machines. Are they reporting flare ups, sorness and sensitivity etc. and for how long? When did they begin to experience some healing effects? This might be incouraging to the Dornier patients.

Monte on 5/15/02 at 19:52 (084082)

Pauline...I agree...I hope others post their stories.
I had the big O machine with Dr Z in Feb 2002. No never block needed...I tolerated it. I had a flare up a week later that lasted about a week or so. Took Motrin and used a heating pad to encourage circulation. My pain is in the entire sole of my feet. I never had morning pain...but cannot stand in one place and it hurts to walk most of the time. By the time I went for the Donier treatment, 12 weeks went by. My pain may have gone down slightly since Feb...but nothing that would make me say WOW or AHH. But I think 3 Donier treatments may do it, along with time. I had it done on May 7th and am in the middle of a flare up. I had a nerve block in both ankles...this machine is more powerful than the big O machine that Dr Z used to use. I hope this information helps you. I will post more as time goes by. One week post treatment is too little time to tell.

DR Zuckerman on 5/15/02 at 20:00 (084083)

I sure wish we could go back to the survey board that we had in the past. We could use the exact method that the Dornier and the ossatron used when they did their FDA studies. This would be very helpful to everyone

Monte on 5/15/02 at 21:41 (084099)

Dr Z ...please post the test results again for us. Did 92% of the test population go from 7.7 pain level to 0.6? or did 100% of the test population drop 92% in pain level from 7.7 to 0.6? How many people in the population? ALso, what has been you findings as of the past 7 weeks using it. Thanks. Monte

Monte on 5/01/02 at 20:02 (082061)

Shane...I am going for my 2nd treatment on May 7th..this time with the Donier machine. It has been 12 weeks since my first treatment with Dr Z. I think the spot that he worked on is better than before. It is not cured. The therapy has a cummalative affect so this time should mark more healing. Also, the new machine can find the trouble spots better because it has a sonogram hooked up to it. Good luck next week. Please be patient afterwards and careful. Follow the doctors after care instructions.

BrianG on 5/02/02 at 18:08 (082178)

Hi Monte,
Just wondering if your 1st ESWT treatment was with the O, or the D machine? Good luck this time around....BrianG

Monte on 5/02/02 at 22:20 (082233)

Hi Brian
My first treatment was with the O. This will be the first time with the Donier. I am nervous because I didn't need any ankle block the first time around and now they use a block with this machine.

How was it for you? How are you feeling these days...did you get some relief? I hope you are coming along well...you deserve it after all this time. We all deserve it! Let me know about your experience so far.

Thanks

BrianG on 5/04/02 at 10:57 (082397)

Hi Monte,

I'm still about the same. My heels feel bruised where I was shocked, bt there was no discloring. It's nothing I can't handle, and I know that part of the treatment will be healing soon. About the block, just be glad it's avilable to you. I would never advise anyone to get the Dornier treatment without the block. I had some major pain in my right foot during the treatment. I know I had the block, and my foot felt numb, but for some reason, that particular area of my heel could feel the pain. Since I did have the Lidocaine, I don't know if I had the 'full pain' or 'partial pain'. All I know, is that it hurt, and I'm really thankfull I had no pain during the first heel. The diamater of the shock wave is so small, I can see how the Lidocaine might 'miss' that particular area.

It's only been about 3 weeks, which means I still have to be patient. I've been pretty good to my feet since they were zapped, and still feel this is my best shot for recovery. Good luck with yours.

BrianG

Robin P on 5/04/02 at 13:32 (082407)

The Dornier system you used focuses the energy into a relatively small volume and this causes much more pain than is the case where the energy is dispersed. A more modern system, the Orthospec puts out shockwaves in a more diverse therapy zone with the result that no anaesthesia or sedation is needed and the results are excellent.

Recent clinical studies in leading Orthopaedic surgery jourals show that shockwave therapy is effective in treating plantar fasciitis. The therapy is available at the Hospital of St John and Elizabeth in London, England.

More details are available on http://www.genmedhealth.com

BrianG on 5/04/02 at 21:38 (082456)

Story of my life. I just get the latest and greatest, approved by the FDA, and the next generation ESWT is already out!!
Actually, I'm happy I had the Dornier, as it's designed to be one treatment. Great for people like me that drove for 6+ hours, each direction. The new Orthospec requires two treatments, that are two weeks apart. I suppose this would be good if the treatment center was much closer, but everything has to be weighed for each treatment. Which machine will work best for each person. Thanks for the info.

BrianG

Monte on 5/04/02 at 23:27 (082461)

I am a little nervous. I did well with the O machine both during treatment and after. I don't think the treatment can make me worse. I hope the ankle block works. Can I return to my desk job the next day? WIll I need a mild pain killer at some time?

Thanks for the input. I pray that we get better my friend.

DR Zuckerman on 5/05/02 at 00:29 (082464)

Don't worry it sounds like a low energy machine and won't be out for some time. The dornier one year post treatment results are just as good if not better.

BrianG on 5/05/02 at 10:54 (082495)

I don't think you'll have any problem working the next day, unless you have a job where you are on your feet all day. As soon as the treatment was over, Dr. Z. numbed that heel with Lidocaine and I was OK to drive home. Overall, it has not hurt as much as I thought it might, while getting the treatment. Like I said earlier, it feels like a bruise, nothing more. I don't think you'll have too much pain, but being the pain wimp that I am, I would try to have some pain meds available, just in case. I take them every day, so it wasn't an issue for me. For me, the treatment, was worse than the recovery has been. Go for it, dude :*) It's time to heal!!!

BrianG

PS I just read you have a desk job, piece of cake!

monte on 5/08/02 at 09:53 (083022)

Brian

I had the treatment yesterday. It did not hurt...the needles worked. Today I am sore as heck...but it will ease up. How are you doing?

Monte

Monte on 5/14/02 at 21:15 (083930)

Brian...how are you feeling? It has been a week and I am flaring up. The feet hurt. I guess it is from the trauma caused by the shock waves. But one strange thing has happened...the nerve in my left foot has become sensative. I feel it pulling all the way to my big and second toes when I lift my leg with the knee straight. I can also feel it pull if I bend over at the waist. The doctor said this will pass. I guess the needle irritated the tarsal nerve when they numbed my feet. What do you think?

Pauline on 5/15/02 at 16:50 (084054)

Monte,
I think it would be interesting to have patient's that have been treated with the Ossatron repost their post treatment experiences at various weeks again just to compare with the experiences of those being treated with the Dornier machine. Both machines are high power machines. Are they reporting flare ups, sorness and sensitivity etc. and for how long? When did they begin to experience some healing effects? This might be incouraging to the Dornier patients.

Monte on 5/15/02 at 19:52 (084082)

Pauline...I agree...I hope others post their stories.
I had the big O machine with Dr Z in Feb 2002. No never block needed...I tolerated it. I had a flare up a week later that lasted about a week or so. Took Motrin and used a heating pad to encourage circulation. My pain is in the entire sole of my feet. I never had morning pain...but cannot stand in one place and it hurts to walk most of the time. By the time I went for the Donier treatment, 12 weeks went by. My pain may have gone down slightly since Feb...but nothing that would make me say WOW or AHH. But I think 3 Donier treatments may do it, along with time. I had it done on May 7th and am in the middle of a flare up. I had a nerve block in both ankles...this machine is more powerful than the big O machine that Dr Z used to use. I hope this information helps you. I will post more as time goes by. One week post treatment is too little time to tell.

DR Zuckerman on 5/15/02 at 20:00 (084083)

I sure wish we could go back to the survey board that we had in the past. We could use the exact method that the Dornier and the ossatron used when they did their FDA studies. This would be very helpful to everyone

Monte on 5/15/02 at 21:41 (084099)

Dr Z ...please post the test results again for us. Did 92% of the test population go from 7.7 pain level to 0.6? or did 100% of the test population drop 92% in pain level from 7.7 to 0.6? How many people in the population? ALso, what has been you findings as of the past 7 weeks using it. Thanks. Monte