Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Barefooted vs Shoes

Posted by Tony S. on 5/01/02 at 17:26 (082029)

BOTTOM LINE: Barefooted I am ok, shoes of any kind I am NOT. Neurologist says I have mild perhipreal neuropathy and ran several blood tests to find out why. Had an insect bite a year or so ago on camping trip in Colorado and lyme is one of the tests. TTS on nerve conduction was negative. Wouldn't TTS still produce terrible symptoms also if barefooted ? I am only 34 years old and can't stand wearing shoes !!

Re: Barefooted vs Shoes

Cheri A on 5/01/02 at 22:07 (082078)

I am just the opposite. I cannot stand barefoot because the bottoms of my feet always feel like they are stone-bruised. I do wear house slippers a lot for the cushioning and I find regular shoes uncomfortable. It seems like TTS symptons vary a lot, so I think it would be hard to say whether or not you should be uncomfortable barefoot.

Tony S. on 5/02/02 at 07:30 (082097)

It is really weird because I stand all day at my job. All I have to do to get rid of the burning and pain is take a shoe off and put all of my weight on my bare foot. I feel like I could stand all day barefooted or run a mile, but I have to wear shoes. This is so frustrating because I've been to 8 doctors and had a PF release in my right foot and both feet are still exactly the same. I can't get a good diagnosis except for mild Peripheal Neuropathy. Would that cause my feet to ache and burn when wearing shoes.

Sharon W on 5/02/02 at 12:07 (082135)

Tony:

I was always the original Barefoot Girl -- in fact that's what my brother called me, as a kid, because I ALWAYS kicked off my shoes ASAP!! For that reason it has been especially hard for me to always have shoes on, and wear orthotics, because of PF and TTS.

But lately, when I take my shoes off and step into the tub, my feet feel so fragile, so VULNERABLE...

-- Sharon

Dennis B. on 5/02/02 at 15:42 (082158)

I have Peripheral Neuropathy as well as TTS. As for shoes or not, it makes no difference in my case, but my PN is not 'mild'. It could be a contributing factor or maybe even the entire cause of you being able to tlerate standing without shoes.

Diana on 5/28/02 at 22:12 (085552)

tony,
does it hurt for you to wear socks? diana

Cheri A on 5/01/02 at 22:07 (082078)

I am just the opposite. I cannot stand barefoot because the bottoms of my feet always feel like they are stone-bruised. I do wear house slippers a lot for the cushioning and I find regular shoes uncomfortable. It seems like TTS symptons vary a lot, so I think it would be hard to say whether or not you should be uncomfortable barefoot.

Tony S. on 5/02/02 at 07:30 (082097)

It is really weird because I stand all day at my job. All I have to do to get rid of the burning and pain is take a shoe off and put all of my weight on my bare foot. I feel like I could stand all day barefooted or run a mile, but I have to wear shoes. This is so frustrating because I've been to 8 doctors and had a PF release in my right foot and both feet are still exactly the same. I can't get a good diagnosis except for mild Peripheal Neuropathy. Would that cause my feet to ache and burn when wearing shoes.

Sharon W on 5/02/02 at 12:07 (082135)

Tony:

I was always the original Barefoot Girl -- in fact that's what my brother called me, as a kid, because I ALWAYS kicked off my shoes ASAP!! For that reason it has been especially hard for me to always have shoes on, and wear orthotics, because of PF and TTS.

But lately, when I take my shoes off and step into the tub, my feet feel so fragile, so VULNERABLE...

-- Sharon

Dennis B. on 5/02/02 at 15:42 (082158)

I have Peripheral Neuropathy as well as TTS. As for shoes or not, it makes no difference in my case, but my PN is not 'mild'. It could be a contributing factor or maybe even the entire cause of you being able to tlerate standing without shoes.

Diana on 5/28/02 at 22:12 (085552)

tony,
does it hurt for you to wear socks? diana