Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

more questions about surg...sorry

Posted by Lisa G on 5/02/02 at 07:44 (082100)

hi everyone...i can't tell you how i appreciate all the advice i am getting...although i have to admit...i am now more confused and scared than ever...but i have a new list of questions to ask my doctor...but i also have a couple questions to ask you guys...if you don't mind ;) i am planning on taking all this info with me to my next appt...but it is nice to have advice from people who have done this before...which is why this message board is here i guess...ok...anyway...here are my questions...

1. john h...you suggested having MIS...i'm not sure what that is...

2. people have recommended night splints for my tight calves and achilles tendon...i tried night splints before...but my feet were numb and swollen when i woke up...should i try again?

3. if i have any kind of surg...should i then go to night splints to keep my calves stretched? my tight calves...and tight tendons have been an ongoing problem...eventhough i stretch daily...and i know they are part of the cause of this entire mess...

i guess that is it for now...thanks again for all your help...i SOOOOOO appreciate it... lisa =)

Re: more questions about surg...sorry

Julie on 5/02/02 at 08:40 (082108)

Lisa

MIS is Minimal Incision Surgery. I believe the doctors who post here consider it a better option than EPF (Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy) because the doctor performing the surgery can see what s/he is doing and it is therefore more controllable.

I do think, as I said earlier, that you should have another go with the night splint. The N'Ice Stretch, which Scott offers on this website, has been found comfortable by several people who have posted, and it has been recommended by the doctors. You need to experiment: your previous splint may have caused numbness because it was too tight. It is worth working at, because it does seem to be the most effective way of lengthening the gastroc/soleus muscles.

I remember someone posting some time ago that although they could not wear the night splint all night, they were able to wear it for a couple of hours at a stretch during the day, while resting - and that might be an option for you too.

If you do decide to have surgery, you will need to follow your doctor's post-operative instructions - ask about the night splint.

But do, please, get another opinion before going down the surgery road, for all the reasons that so many here have given you.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/02/02 at 13:33 (082150)

Hi

Here are some answers. I hope I am not jumping into a tread that started on the back page. I will still try to answer your question

1. MIS this is miminial incision surgery. This technique can be used for either a heel spur operation and or a plantar fascia release. In my office ESWT has replaced this procedure. I did fine MIS to be a very effective procedure however with any kind of surgery you can have short and long term complications

2. I am not a nite splint expert but this is what patients have told me.
You may need an adjustment in size, change in position or different brand.
I would loosen up the nite splint or change the amount of dorsiflexion first
3. The use of nite splints is fine so long as they don't cause pain or cause you lack of sleep after foot surgery for heel pain Physical therapy after heel spur surgery can be very effective.

Good luck and keep the questins flowing

Lisa G on 5/02/02 at 18:40 (082188)

thank you =)

trust me...the questions will be flowing...lol...probably to the point of you telling me to leave you alone... ;)

lisa

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/02/02 at 20:37 (082211)

Lisa:

Again, my approach would be to lengthen the achilles at the same time as the plantar fascial release, if the gastrosoeus-achilles is tight.
Ed

Julie on 5/02/02 at 08:40 (082108)

Lisa

MIS is Minimal Incision Surgery. I believe the doctors who post here consider it a better option than EPF (Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy) because the doctor performing the surgery can see what s/he is doing and it is therefore more controllable.

I do think, as I said earlier, that you should have another go with the night splint. The N'Ice Stretch, which Scott offers on this website, has been found comfortable by several people who have posted, and it has been recommended by the doctors. You need to experiment: your previous splint may have caused numbness because it was too tight. It is worth working at, because it does seem to be the most effective way of lengthening the gastroc/soleus muscles.

I remember someone posting some time ago that although they could not wear the night splint all night, they were able to wear it for a couple of hours at a stretch during the day, while resting - and that might be an option for you too.

If you do decide to have surgery, you will need to follow your doctor's post-operative instructions - ask about the night splint.

But do, please, get another opinion before going down the surgery road, for all the reasons that so many here have given you.

Dr. Zuckerman on 5/02/02 at 13:33 (082150)

Hi

Here are some answers. I hope I am not jumping into a tread that started on the back page. I will still try to answer your question

1. MIS this is miminial incision surgery. This technique can be used for either a heel spur operation and or a plantar fascia release. In my office ESWT has replaced this procedure. I did fine MIS to be a very effective procedure however with any kind of surgery you can have short and long term complications

2. I am not a nite splint expert but this is what patients have told me.
You may need an adjustment in size, change in position or different brand.
I would loosen up the nite splint or change the amount of dorsiflexion first
3. The use of nite splints is fine so long as they don't cause pain or cause you lack of sleep after foot surgery for heel pain Physical therapy after heel spur surgery can be very effective.

Good luck and keep the questins flowing

Lisa G on 5/02/02 at 18:40 (082188)

thank you =)

trust me...the questions will be flowing...lol...probably to the point of you telling me to leave you alone... ;)

lisa

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/02/02 at 20:37 (082211)

Lisa:

Again, my approach would be to lengthen the achilles at the same time as the plantar fascial release, if the gastrosoeus-achilles is tight.
Ed