Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

2nd wk TTS Surgery

Posted by Barbara S on 5/02/02 at 10:24 (082116)

Hi Everyone, Just thought I'd give a little up date. Had first visit with Ortho Surgeon Tue April 30. Look at it said healing look good going to keep stitches in one more week.Next appt May 7.
I asked him exactly what do you have to do. He said clean out the tunnel,couldn't even get his little figure in. I asked why that was and he said there was alot of scar tissue. Now I've only had one surgery,and that was in Nov EPF and that was when my problems became extremely worse.
i was surprised at this as MRI In Jan showed no scar build up. I do believe my nerve was affected by that EPF Surgery. He also said he cut the facia.
Right now I have very little pain, except for the incision. Today I haven't even taken and pain meds. But I will say my heal still feels numb, kinda like its not there. I looked at everything first time yesterday. It is ugly. The incision starts underneath my foot by the heal,almost completely across the bottom of my foot then comes up and around my ankle bone and a couple of inches up my leg above the ankle bone. The whole ankle area is swollen,can't even see my ankle bone , and kinda yellow, like a bruise healing.
Dr. Dan Guelstorf (that is the name of Ortho Surgeon) said I could start moving my foot a little 3 or 4 times a day. Like just wiggle my toes,move foot up and down just a little not to create any pain.
I have no idea what my outcome is going to be yet. I am following his every instructions. I did ask for a wheelchair, with a leg lift, so I could at least get out once in awhile. My Girlfriend is coming to get me Sat. morning, we are going to go to breakfast and then to the Mall and then do lunch at a Cracker Barrel. I am really looking forward to this. I am going crazy in the house. As I posted before had my husband got me Knee Pads, so that is how I get around in the house. I was too afraid of loosing my balance on the crutches in the house. I drink alot of water,so therefore make alot of trips to the bathroom.
I still feeling very down and anxious at times. Hopefully my depression meds will start working soon. I think I am on wk 3 they say it can take 4 or more. Recieved bad news yesterday, My Husband is being laid off from Saks Inc. Aug 2 he's worked there for 15yrs. This won't be easy,as he is 56yrs old. Took him 9months last time he got laid off when he was 41 to get the job at Saks. There is a slight possability that there might be another postion there for him,but there are 29 people altogether that a getting laid off. Seven are in his department and 22 in the operations dept. See he works with Comp. Software,but when Saks bought Boston Store,Younkers,& Carsen Pirie Scott their main office is in Jackson Miss. and they have a Main Frame there so they don't need two so the one here in Milw,Wi eliminated. So all this does not help my depression. My older son works at Ameritech in the same Dept as me and he called and said they had a meeting and they're talking about down sizing again. So like my recovery everything is wait wait wait.
Well enough of my venting today. Please keep us in your Prays. Take care and God Bless you all. Will post again after next Dr. Appt. Barbara S.

Re: 2nd wk TTS Surgery

Sharon W on 5/02/02 at 10:42 (082120)

Barbara,

Really sounds like things are rough for you -- and what a TERRIBLE time for your husband to be laid off! I know how hard it can be for a computer professional to find a new job, as my husband is a software engineer and we've BEEN THERE, 'downsized'... in our case, it happened just as HE was fighting to avoid going blind!

Under the circumstances, it's hard to imagine how you could be feeling anything BUT depressed... maybe that's why it's taking those meds a while to 'kick in'.

I'm glad to hear, though, that you are in very little pain right now. What kind of pain meds do you have?

Hang in there; I'll be keeping a good thought for your speedy and complete recovery!

-- Sharon

john h on 5/02/02 at 11:37 (082131)

I do not understand why there would be scar tissue in the tarsal tunnel if you have never had surgery in that area? A simple PF release should not involve the tarsal tunnel. After my tarsal tunnel release (7' scar) my foot was swollen off and on for a month or so but I was back on my feet and off crutches in two weeks. Sometimes, support hose will help with the swelling and as you have probably been advised keep your foot eleveated and ice frequently. Ask your doctor about how much of the fascia he released?

Pam B on 5/02/02 at 12:14 (082137)

Hi Barb, I am so sorry to hear about your hubbys job......I know how he feels......I lost mine not quite two years ago from a major corp after nine years......the prospect of starting over at 46 freaks me out......due to the foot stuff I have put off scouting for a real job any time soon till this is all behind me, if it ever is :( however, you surely did not need this now, not post op......I think we all go through post op depression in one way or the other and to have more piled on top of that and pain......you have my prayers.....I have always tried to live by the saying that the good Lord dont give us more than we can handle at one time even though sometimes it feels like it is more than we can bare......we are all here for you and I for one will say an additional prayer for your family :) good luck and keep us posted with your healing process....:)

john h on 5/02/02 at 12:35 (082139)

My heart goes out to all of you who with PF who further lose your job or your spouse loses their job. PF is bad enough. Just hang tough Barb--

BrianG on 5/02/02 at 22:02 (082231)

Chalk up another PF surgery gone bad, bringing on a case of TTS!! Why ??? I just wish that some one was keeping track every time this happens. I had pain for a good 2 months, or more, from a simple EPF. I think you are looking at much longer than that, for the TTS surgery. Somehow, your going to have to force yourself to rest, despite the family layoffs. These will be challenging times, for sure. Good Luck Barbara.

BrianG

John K on 5/03/02 at 07:50 (082278)

Reading the messages on heelspurs has kept me from getting surgery, thank God. I was all set to go about a year ago but reconsidered at the last minute because of doctors attitude. I had surgery on my wrist and it is no better so I am glad I laid off the feet. I mean they are cutting soft tissue. It is not like setting a bone.

Sharon W on 5/02/02 at 10:42 (082120)

Barbara,

Really sounds like things are rough for you -- and what a TERRIBLE time for your husband to be laid off! I know how hard it can be for a computer professional to find a new job, as my husband is a software engineer and we've BEEN THERE, 'downsized'... in our case, it happened just as HE was fighting to avoid going blind!

Under the circumstances, it's hard to imagine how you could be feeling anything BUT depressed... maybe that's why it's taking those meds a while to 'kick in'.

I'm glad to hear, though, that you are in very little pain right now. What kind of pain meds do you have?

Hang in there; I'll be keeping a good thought for your speedy and complete recovery!

-- Sharon

john h on 5/02/02 at 11:37 (082131)

I do not understand why there would be scar tissue in the tarsal tunnel if you have never had surgery in that area? A simple PF release should not involve the tarsal tunnel. After my tarsal tunnel release (7' scar) my foot was swollen off and on for a month or so but I was back on my feet and off crutches in two weeks. Sometimes, support hose will help with the swelling and as you have probably been advised keep your foot eleveated and ice frequently. Ask your doctor about how much of the fascia he released?

Pam B on 5/02/02 at 12:14 (082137)

Hi Barb, I am so sorry to hear about your hubbys job......I know how he feels......I lost mine not quite two years ago from a major corp after nine years......the prospect of starting over at 46 freaks me out......due to the foot stuff I have put off scouting for a real job any time soon till this is all behind me, if it ever is :( however, you surely did not need this now, not post op......I think we all go through post op depression in one way or the other and to have more piled on top of that and pain......you have my prayers.....I have always tried to live by the saying that the good Lord dont give us more than we can handle at one time even though sometimes it feels like it is more than we can bare......we are all here for you and I for one will say an additional prayer for your family :) good luck and keep us posted with your healing process....:)

john h on 5/02/02 at 12:35 (082139)

My heart goes out to all of you who with PF who further lose your job or your spouse loses their job. PF is bad enough. Just hang tough Barb--

BrianG on 5/02/02 at 22:02 (082231)

Chalk up another PF surgery gone bad, bringing on a case of TTS!! Why ??? I just wish that some one was keeping track every time this happens. I had pain for a good 2 months, or more, from a simple EPF. I think you are looking at much longer than that, for the TTS surgery. Somehow, your going to have to force yourself to rest, despite the family layoffs. These will be challenging times, for sure. Good Luck Barbara.

BrianG

John K on 5/03/02 at 07:50 (082278)

Reading the messages on heelspurs has kept me from getting surgery, thank God. I was all set to go about a year ago but reconsidered at the last minute because of doctors attitude. I had surgery on my wrist and it is no better so I am glad I laid off the feet. I mean they are cutting soft tissue. It is not like setting a bone.