Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

broken toe? tape it to a toe next to it?

Posted by paula on 5/02/02 at 16:16 (082163)

some little toes and just beneath them are still hurting two weeks after a muscle pull healed. i went on the internet and saw that little broken toes are not really casted anyway. just taped. to a buddy toe. so why should i pay for an x ray? why don't i just tape em and hope for the best? i don't think it's a big break, if it is a break. the toes all line up right and it is just certain kind of pressure makes it hurt. how long will it take to mend if it is a stress fracture of little toes?

Re: broken toe? tape it to a toe next to it?

DR Zuckerman on 5/02/02 at 19:53 (082199)

Taping would help reduce the pain and keep the toe in its proper alignment then toe nail should point straight out . Ice first twenty four hours to keep swelling. down. You can wear a shoe if no severe pain. Typical healing is four to six weeks. Fatness or swelling could last for months. Good luck.

paula on 5/02/02 at 20:06 (082204)

thanks dr z i'm taping all three little toes.seems to hurt less. not sure which ones broke which ones strained or what. nice to know that little toes are so independent that they need no medical help but heal on their own. if only the rest of our feet did that.

DR Zuckerman on 5/02/02 at 20:22 (082206)

Still very important to taping and keep the normal alignment. I have had to do surgery on quite a few toes that weren't taped for at least six weeks

paula on 5/02/02 at 21:03 (082218)

okey doke, thanks for the wisdom. will keep tape on for six weeks.

DR Zuckerman on 5/02/02 at 19:53 (082199)

Taping would help reduce the pain and keep the toe in its proper alignment then toe nail should point straight out . Ice first twenty four hours to keep swelling. down. You can wear a shoe if no severe pain. Typical healing is four to six weeks. Fatness or swelling could last for months. Good luck.

paula on 5/02/02 at 20:06 (082204)

thanks dr z i'm taping all three little toes.seems to hurt less. not sure which ones broke which ones strained or what. nice to know that little toes are so independent that they need no medical help but heal on their own. if only the rest of our feet did that.

DR Zuckerman on 5/02/02 at 20:22 (082206)

Still very important to taping and keep the normal alignment. I have had to do surgery on quite a few toes that weren't taped for at least six weeks

paula on 5/02/02 at 21:03 (082218)

okey doke, thanks for the wisdom. will keep tape on for six weeks.