Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sitting to long cause you pain with TTS

Posted by Margie on 5/02/02 at 17:45 (082173)

I have to sit and walk and lay and move about all day to keep the pain down. Do any of you have this problem? Right now my feet are asleep and tingling, you know the feeling and I have only been sitting for 10 minutes.
Margie

Re: Sitting to long cause you pain with TTS

Sharon W on 5/02/02 at 17:53 (082176)

Margie,

YES!! If I stop moving -- especially moving my feet & legs -- they 'fall asleep'. Even when I sleep, I have to keep moving, or my feet will bother me more... it's a big part of the reason why I have trouble sleeping.

-- Sharon

Re: Can not get a good nights rest because of the pain

Margie on 5/03/02 at 09:17 (082292)

Sharon what have you done for your feet?
Surgery that did not work and day by day the pain is getting worse. Are we suppose to bite a bullet all day and night for the rest of our life? No one seems to know what TTS is. I am so lucky to find some others who do have TTS and other feet problems. I felt so alone not having someone who understands the pain.
So far everyone I have talked to even DR.s have not heard of it. Saying you mean Carpal tunnel, no that is in your waist!
The pain wakes me up in the meduim of the night and takes an hour or two to get comfortable enough to fall back to sleep.
Thank you so much for you input.
Margie

Sharon W on 5/05/02 at 18:59 (082541)

Margie,

NO, I haven't had surgery, but I have been through almost all the the usual 'conservative methods'. That includes icing, anti-inflammatories, taping, custom (hard) orthotics, diagnostic nerve block, steroids, ccompression wrap, compression hose, and then immobilization in an air cast. Recently I've been getting physical therapy (stretching & ultrasound), and doing contrast baths. I have not done iontophoresis because insurance won't pay and if my pod wants me to have myofacial massage I will have to return to PT with a specific order from the Dr. And I haven't tried ESWT -- I'm pretty sure Aetna wouldn't pay, and I have kids in college... I saw a neurologist, who did nerve studies and said my lateral plantar nerve is slow, which according to my pod corroberates the TTS diagnosis. I had an MRI back in December, and it showed the inflammation around the plantar facae and a swollen (varicose) vein inside my tarsal tunnel! When I see my family Dr. again I intend to ask her about getting my leg veins checked out by doppler ultrasound.

How about you? What all have YOU tried?

-- Sharon

Re: Can not get a good nights rest - continued

Sharon W on 5/05/02 at 20:06 (082551)

Margie,

I understand 100% about not being able to get a good night's rest; I have the same problem. I got my Dr. to prescribe Ambien because the numbness & burning wouldn't let me get to sleep at night, and it really works; when I take it I almost never have trouble GETTING to sleep. But I still wake up in the middle of the night, as you described, with my feet burning or sometimes just half-numb and tingling painfully. When that happens it sometimes takes me an hour or more to get back to sleep.

The sleeplessness, by itself, is enough to really mess with a person's life. The sleeping pills do help but I still find that I am often grumpy and fatigued, with no energy to do anything, because I had so much trouble sleeping the night before. Sleepless nights combined with pain during the day make it SO hard to do things, it really changes a person's lifestyle. I don't think it's possible for anyone to really understand that unless they've been through something similar... Even doctors don't understand, although they may know a lot about these things INTELLECTUALLY.

...At least we have this website!

'Are we supposed to bite a bullet all day and night?' Good question.

Jeff V. on 5/21/02 at 20:03 (084812)

I have same margie. sharp pain is feet ache bruizy feeling in left leg w/ the tingling etc.

Sharon W on 5/02/02 at 17:53 (082176)

Margie,

YES!! If I stop moving -- especially moving my feet & legs -- they 'fall asleep'. Even when I sleep, I have to keep moving, or my feet will bother me more... it's a big part of the reason why I have trouble sleeping.

-- Sharon

Margie on 5/03/02 at 09:17 (082292)

Sharon what have you done for your feet?
Surgery that did not work and day by day the pain is getting worse. Are we suppose to bite a bullet all day and night for the rest of our life? No one seems to know what TTS is. I am so lucky to find some others who do have TTS and other feet problems. I felt so alone not having someone who understands the pain.
So far everyone I have talked to even DR.s have not heard of it. Saying you mean Carpal tunnel, no that is in your waist!
The pain wakes me up in the meduim of the night and takes an hour or two to get comfortable enough to fall back to sleep.
Thank you so much for you input.
Margie

Sharon W on 5/05/02 at 18:59 (082541)

Margie,

NO, I haven't had surgery, but I have been through almost all the the usual 'conservative methods'. That includes icing, anti-inflammatories, taping, custom (hard) orthotics, diagnostic nerve block, steroids, ccompression wrap, compression hose, and then immobilization in an air cast. Recently I've been getting physical therapy (stretching & ultrasound), and doing contrast baths. I have not done iontophoresis because insurance won't pay and if my pod wants me to have myofacial massage I will have to return to PT with a specific order from the Dr. And I haven't tried ESWT -- I'm pretty sure Aetna wouldn't pay, and I have kids in college... I saw a neurologist, who did nerve studies and said my lateral plantar nerve is slow, which according to my pod corroberates the TTS diagnosis. I had an MRI back in December, and it showed the inflammation around the plantar facae and a swollen (varicose) vein inside my tarsal tunnel! When I see my family Dr. again I intend to ask her about getting my leg veins checked out by doppler ultrasound.

How about you? What all have YOU tried?

-- Sharon

Re: Can not get a good nights rest - continued

Sharon W on 5/05/02 at 20:06 (082551)

Margie,

I understand 100% about not being able to get a good night's rest; I have the same problem. I got my Dr. to prescribe Ambien because the numbness & burning wouldn't let me get to sleep at night, and it really works; when I take it I almost never have trouble GETTING to sleep. But I still wake up in the middle of the night, as you described, with my feet burning or sometimes just half-numb and tingling painfully. When that happens it sometimes takes me an hour or more to get back to sleep.

The sleeplessness, by itself, is enough to really mess with a person's life. The sleeping pills do help but I still find that I am often grumpy and fatigued, with no energy to do anything, because I had so much trouble sleeping the night before. Sleepless nights combined with pain during the day make it SO hard to do things, it really changes a person's lifestyle. I don't think it's possible for anyone to really understand that unless they've been through something similar... Even doctors don't understand, although they may know a lot about these things INTELLECTUALLY.

...At least we have this website!

'Are we supposed to bite a bullet all day and night?' Good question.

Jeff V. on 5/21/02 at 20:03 (084812)

I have same margie. sharp pain is feet ache bruizy feeling in left leg w/ the tingling etc.