Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Accuracy of TTS diagnosis

Posted by Tony S. on 5/02/02 at 23:44 (082241)

I have had 2 Nerve Conduction tests (Oct 2001 and April 2002) Both were negative for TTS and positive for Peripheal Neoropathy. Just wondering how accurate the test is ?? MRI showed some fluid around some tendons, but nothing else significant. THANKS

Re: Accuracy of TTS diagnosis

EKC on 5/03/02 at 10:40 (082300)

Short story: I recommend having another Neurologist perform the test.

My expericence:
Dr A. performed test - said 'inconclusive for TTS & PN'
12 months later (another test) he said 'inconclusive for TTS, No PN'
12 months later (another test), Dr B said 'TTS'
My podiatrist then perfomred a 'Sensory' test and said I indeed have TTS.
I do not have symptoms of burning, numbness, tingling. What I do have is overwhelming ache, tiredness in my feet.
Worse after walking (when I can) and standing. I also have PF.

At some point, 2years ago, I had an MRI & bonescan that showd 'inflammetory process' in faschia. There was
no comment regarding TTunnel.

Good luck.

cindyp on 5/04/02 at 09:24 (082392)

I don't know as I never had any of those tests. I had an mri and the orthopedic surgeon said immediately upon viewing the films you need tts surgery, synovectomy tumor removal and all the rest. So i don't know about the accuracy of the test haven't heard very good results from others.

John K on 5/04/02 at 15:45 (082409)

I was diagnosed with TTS but I was told the surgery is extensive and the chances of success are not that good. I have burning and pain in my arches. I am crippled up by this thing. I just am not impressed by doctors who want to cut your feet to pieces and have no guarntees. I let them do an operation on my right wrist and now it is no better and maybe worse. This is a tricky thing and should be considered. Not to mention that you might die under the knife. It has happened during very minor surgery.

cindyp on 5/05/02 at 17:55 (082539)

Nothing in life is guaranteed. I had a very good surgeon and had pretty good results considering all that i had done.I don't know about chances but there are a lot of us who have been tremendously helped by this.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/06/02 at 18:31 (082709)

Tony:

You have brought up an important problem: the variability of NCV results. My inclination, based on the fact that the tests demonstrated neuropathy, that they were sensitive enough to rule out TTS.

What part of the country do you live in?
Ed

Re: For Ed

Tony S. on 5/07/02 at 00:38 (082751)

Ed - Thanks for your response and I live in the St. Louis area.

EKC on 5/03/02 at 10:40 (082300)

Short story: I recommend having another Neurologist perform the test.

My expericence:
Dr A. performed test - said 'inconclusive for TTS & PN'
12 months later (another test) he said 'inconclusive for TTS, No PN'
12 months later (another test), Dr B said 'TTS'
My podiatrist then perfomred a 'Sensory' test and said I indeed have TTS.
I do not have symptoms of burning, numbness, tingling. What I do have is overwhelming ache, tiredness in my feet.
Worse after walking (when I can) and standing. I also have PF.

At some point, 2years ago, I had an MRI & bonescan that showd 'inflammetory process' in faschia. There was
no comment regarding TTunnel.

Good luck.

cindyp on 5/04/02 at 09:24 (082392)

I don't know as I never had any of those tests. I had an mri and the orthopedic surgeon said immediately upon viewing the films you need tts surgery, synovectomy tumor removal and all the rest. So i don't know about the accuracy of the test haven't heard very good results from others.

John K on 5/04/02 at 15:45 (082409)

I was diagnosed with TTS but I was told the surgery is extensive and the chances of success are not that good. I have burning and pain in my arches. I am crippled up by this thing. I just am not impressed by doctors who want to cut your feet to pieces and have no guarntees. I let them do an operation on my right wrist and now it is no better and maybe worse. This is a tricky thing and should be considered. Not to mention that you might die under the knife. It has happened during very minor surgery.

cindyp on 5/05/02 at 17:55 (082539)

Nothing in life is guaranteed. I had a very good surgeon and had pretty good results considering all that i had done.I don't know about chances but there are a lot of us who have been tremendously helped by this.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/06/02 at 18:31 (082709)

Tony:

You have brought up an important problem: the variability of NCV results. My inclination, based on the fact that the tests demonstrated neuropathy, that they were sensitive enough to rule out TTS.

What part of the country do you live in?
Ed

Re: For Ed

Tony S. on 5/07/02 at 00:38 (082751)

Ed - Thanks for your response and I live in the St. Louis area.