Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

on a lighter note how was everyones day :)

Posted by lisa k on 5/03/02 at 02:22 (082260)

how was YOUR day check?
i bought a pair of new capris fit great over cam boot ...glad they came in style this season. my oldert girl was sweet today my oldest son 's in a growth spurt and quite crabby and youngest daughter also same growing fast; We got hormones shooting thru the house but actully they all came in and gave me a hug tonight and were each trying to help around the house in their own way so it was a good night with them,its after they all go to bed and the isomnia or thinking starts i post my feelings msgs:) see ya guys sat probably take care and God bless ,Lisa K.

Re: on a lighter note how was everyones day :)

Pam B on 5/03/02 at 07:41 (082275)

raging hormones x3.....my god give this woman a medal :) have a great day

Re: happy friday

Lisa G on 5/03/02 at 11:22 (082302)

hey everyone! it is friday...and it is spring...get out and enjoy it! even if you have to hobble to a spot on the grass and just sit...

lisa

wendyn on 5/03/02 at 12:22 (082316)

Thank you Lisa - but I would have to shovel the snow and ice to sit on my ass.

I mean grass.

But I'm happy it's Friday anyway.

Lisa G on 5/03/02 at 16:48 (082343)

sorry to hear that wendy...about your ass...er...grass...hope it gets warm enough to melt your snow soon!

lisa

wendyn on 5/03/02 at 18:15 (082348)

Thanks Lisa!

I am choked because I have a wedding to go to tomorrow. I am wearing a spring dress (sleevless) with my Birks. I am going to FREEZE. I went and bought a sweater to go with it today.

My dress shoes have to be fixed, so I have no choice but to go in summer attire.

This is the worst 'spring' I can remember!

John h on 5/03/02 at 18:41 (082354)

Wendy: sure sounds like you are dressing for the 60's to me (year not temp}. You should look like Janis Joplin.

wendyn on 5/03/02 at 19:57 (082359)

Yep John - that whole 60's look goes with the Birks. I had to change my entire wardrobe over the last 4 years to fit with my foot wear.

Lisa G on 5/04/02 at 00:31 (082371)

lolol...wendy...you'll look gorgeous i'm sure...i too have had to change my attire to go with my footwear...and i used to have a pair of shoes for every outfit!

lisa

have fun girl!

Re: Mall and shoe observations

Tammie on 5/04/02 at 09:37 (082393)

Wendyn, I was sitting on a bench in the mall last evening for breaks , lol and I want you to know what i observed! I watched feet and walking and shoes I think I could tell you what style what brand and color of several people they must have thought I was weird as I noticed the woman in next bench watching me haha!

Anyways I noticed that there were many many wearing arizona like sandels alot were the fakes of brands but still the same style! They were people dressed in shorts which Lord knows it was to cool for them, and those dressed in the mini styles of skorts and spring dresses also I wonder how there fannys didnt get cold and it really seemed the thing from slacks to skirts to spring dresses Gosh I was wondering how they found the several different colors I never realized there were so many.Next I noticed shoes , New Balance is pretty popular with the ages of aprox late 20s to up , the younger groups had asics and addias and sketchers. I hardly saw any nikes or reebox which surprised me! But let me tell you I was in a lot of shoe stores (looking for the PERFECT shoe for 3 teenage girls) and they are all about 13 or 14, and they looked at MUdd or the L.E.I. brand with those awful hig wedges, and looked like if it didnt hurt you foot it would kill the ankles. I laughed at the girls and said come here let me show you what those could do to you, they said well you are old haha we are yound so our feet are good. I wanted and maybe did give them there look (you know the eye roll ) I said ok I think maybe fionding a good foot dr. now would save you frustration years from now. They just said oh you should try thease you would LOVE them, yea right oh the youth minds lol.I am sure whatever you wear will come off as just right for you and your will pull it off without a ? about the shoes you wear. Have a wonderful time! Hope the warmth arrives for you soon, it is teasing us here a bit !

Carole C in NOLA on 5/04/02 at 10:21 (082396)

I watch shoes all the time too, Tammie! People probably think I'm nuts because I'm always trying to subtly glance and check out what shoes everyone's wearing. I never paid any attention to shoes at all until I got PF.

I noticed that at least half the people at my internist's waiting room wear high quality shoes. I even struck up a conversation with one lady about her NB. LOL

Carole C

Julie on 5/04/02 at 12:23 (082403)

I don't watch shoe types and makes so much, but I do notice the way people walk, and I see lots of incipient cases of PF. I'll never forget that girl in stilettoed winklepickers, walking almost on the insides of her ankles.

Re: Happy Saturday

wendyn on 5/04/02 at 14:39 (082408)

Here is the beautiful spring forecast...as you can see...we are expecting a lot of variety...snow, and snow, and snow. Can I PLEASE trade places with one of you who is sweltering in the heat?? Just for a few days!!?!?!?!

I am SO glad that my kids are not in baseball this year..I think this season may be almost a write off (usually play offs start mid June).

Well, off to the spring wedding in my stupid spring dress and my stupid spring sandals! Hoping that the wedding is fun anyway!

City of Calgary: Issued 11.00 AM MDT Saturday 4 May 2002

Today..Cloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries or showers. Wind southeast 20 km/h. High plus 5.

Tonight..Mainly cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers changing to flurries around midnight. Wind becoming west 30 this evening then diminishing. Low minus 4.

Sunday..Mainly cloudy with flurries or showers. Wind becoming southeast 20. High plus 4.

Monday..Periods of snow. Low minus 2. High 1.

Tuesday..Mainly cloudy. 60 percent chance of flurries or showers. Low minus 4. High 5.

Wednesday..Mainly cloudy. 40 percent chance of showers. Low minus 3. High 8. Normals for the period..Low 1. High 15.

Lisa G on 5/04/02 at 15:45 (082410)

wendy...we're not exactly sweltering here...but you're more than welcome to come to chicago...lol...

how was the wedding?

lisa

lisa k 4may on 5/04/02 at 17:38 (082424)

yes,how was it? HEY we can all start a fashion trend with birks(actually my teens were jealeous and wanted 'a new pair of sandels' like mine,really i am serious, *grin* reading all the posts on this thread cracked me up actually still have those lil smile muscles.......also the hobbling to your ass in the grass-lol i fantise im long john silver -sound like him walking thru the house at night -luv to you all Lisa K.
ps.missouri 70' and beautiful. but going to pay for it with sweltering humidity any day now

Carole C in NOLA on 5/04/02 at 18:38 (082436)

We are sweltering in New Orleans. It was in the lower 90's but the humidity is unreal and the sun is SO HOT and UNRELENTING that I was glad I did not have to stay out in it. I took my car to the carwash and almost wished I could follow it into the tunnel with all the water spraying on it.

We haven't had any rain for a month. This is no fair. Wendy gets too much rain and cold, and New Orleans would like her to send some this way.

Carole C

wendyn on 5/05/02 at 09:40 (082487)

Carole C - maybe half way between us the weather is just perfect?

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 09:43 (082488)

Wendy -

Not according to Suzanne! LOL All our heat meeting all your cold apparently ends up causing thunderstorms and sme4s.

What we need is a giant fan, or spoon, to mix Louisiana air with Canadian air... :)

Carole C

wendyn on 5/05/02 at 09:44 (082489)

Thanks Lisa - I love Chicago!!!

The wedding went pretty well...I am tired today though. I think we left around 10:00 so it wasn't a real late night. I had been up at 6:00 in the morning though, and I had a 4 hour class before I had to rush home and get ready for the wedding.

This afternoon I get to go and help stuff 7,200 envelopes for our community newsletter. Yippee!!! At least it's an indoor activity.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 09:49 (082490)

Wendy, was it an evening wedding?

My brother is getting married in the evening, in St. Louis this August, and it should be really hot there. I don't think I am in the bridal party and I'm trying to figure out what to wear. I'm not sure what people wear to an evening wedding in 2002. I haven't been to one since the sixties. They used to be fairly formal (but I am not a very formal person).

Carole C

Suzanne D on 5/05/02 at 13:30 (082513)

You're right, Carole! We keep having all these up and down temperatures along with storms!

Actually, today is the first Sunday in 6 weeks that it has not been raining! It is sunny and pleasant, and I wish everyone could have this weather right now.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 16:06 (082523)

I'm so glad! It's a little more pleasant here, too, because at least it is a little cloudy and maybe not quite so hot.

I am not hot at all because I'm sitting in wet clothes in the A/C. I have been messing with my fish tanks, hence the wet clothing. I just found the most super pet store that specializes in fish. The man was so knowledgeable and the things I bought made my new fish 100% happier.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but last weekend I cleaned my fish tank, boiled the gravel and everything to sterilize it, re-assembled it and then by yesterday I got two new mollies to replace Bert and Ernie, the two that died right before Christmas.

The two new fish are Dalmatian lyretail mollies, much prettier than Bert and Ernie who were plain black mollies. They don't have names yet but they are ecstatic over the huge airstone that the store owner gave me as a lagniappe (free extra). They love playing in the bubbles.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 5/05/02 at 16:20 (082526)

Your new fish sound great! I remember your posting about cleaning out your fish tank last weekend. It sounds like you have everything perfect for them now!

I hope you enjoy them for a long time to come!

Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 16:24 (082527)

I just hope they live this time! LOL They look a lot happier so I have great hopes that they will. I even bought them some interesting aquarium rocks with holes to hide in and a tunnel to swim under. But they love that big airstone the best.

Carole C

Re: IT"S RAINING!!!!!!! HURRAH, at last!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 16:29 (082529)

IT's raining outside!! It's pouring! At last!! It wasn't supposed to but here it is, it just started this second. It hasn't rained for a month. I feel like running out on my patio and doing a rain dance. (giggle)

WHOOPEE!!!

Carole C

Re: wedding attire...

Suzanne D on 5/05/02 at 16:32 (082530)

Hi, Carole! I have been to many weddings (with my husband being a minister) during the past 25 years. Now I must say first, we do not live in the fashion capital of the world :-), but I suppose we aren't THAT far from others in customs and dress. One thing that I have noticed in the past years is a marked decrease in set 'rules' one must follow at such events. When I was a little girl, I remember Mama said we (my sister and I) must wear hats and little white gloves to weddings. You didn't wear white shoes after Labor Day, etc. Remember those 'rules'? Hemlines were at a certain spot on one's legs, etc.

Now, it seems there is MUCH more individuality accepted in all those matters, which I tend to appreciate. From what I have experienced, I imagine you will see many styles of dress at your brother's wedding. I would offer the suggestion of wearing a long skirt or dress of light-weight fabric which would be nice and cool and also pretty with your Grenada (sp?) Birks so your feet will feel good. If I lived nearby, I would offer to French braid your pretty long hair, and then you would be quite comfortable in the heat and stylish as well! :-)

Just a thought...

Take care!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 17:43 (082532)

Suzanne, thanks for the terrific information!

Yes, those 'rules' were in full force the last time I was at an evening wedding (probably in the 1960's or so). I remember elbow length gloves at evening weddings and formal attire. This wedding will be in a medium large Methodist church in suburban St. Louis, so I would imagine they will wear the same sorts of clothing that you have seen at weddings.

Thanks for the hints! I think a long dress of light weight fabric would be perfect with my Grenadas. I can wear knee high hose with them and I think the effect would be nice, and my feet would be comfortable.

Now, if I can only think of something to give them as a wedding present. My brother and his bride to be have both been divorced for a long time from their previous spouses, and have been living together for 12 years. That makes shopping for them a real puzzle.

I am being really good and not asking, 'Why now?' I guess it took them a while to get up the nerve to actually tie the knot.

Carole C

wendyn on 5/05/02 at 20:29 (082557)

Carole, it was a 2:30 wedding with a dinner and dance later.

Weddings really have become more relaxed (at least here). A spring or summer dress and a pair of sandals will probably be just fine.

As long as it doesn't snow!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 20:47 (082560)

Good! Thanks, Wendy. Grenadas, knee-highs, and a light dress with a long skirt will do it, then.

Carole C

wendyn on 5/05/02 at 21:54 (082562)

Knee high what? Socks? Nylons? No no no - just bare feet. Get a pedicure and a toe ring. You will look awesome.

Kathy G on 5/06/02 at 08:40 (082594)

Carole,

Good for you! Sometimes the least said, the better! What about a gift certificate to a nice store or even a restaurant that you know they like? That way, they could purchase just what they want! I don't think that's a 'typical' wedding present, but then the couple isn't 'typical'!

I didn't see your post util today but for my neice's wedding, I finally found a long, kind of gauze (sp?) like dress with lining, and I plan to wear some old, but not worn because I had to stop wearing them years ago, Joseph Sibel sandals with it. I, too, figure with a pair of knee highs, I will be really comfortable. And since the dress is lined, I don't even have to wear a slip! (The guys who post here are saying, 'This is way more than I need to know!')

My sister, who's the mother of the bride, but has been to many more weddings than I have, says that unless it's a late-night, candlelight wedding, weddings, by and large, are much less formal than they used to be. Suzanne would know even better.

So, get a long dress or skirt and wear your Birks and kick up a storm (as best you can)!!!

john h on 5/06/02 at 08:50 (082597)

Wendy: Actually I still like the 60's look for the girls and seemed to be stuck in that era music and all. The 60's guys were something else however and looked much to gundgy (they all looked like they needed a good bath).

john h on 5/06/02 at 09:10 (082600)

Julie like you I very much watch the way people walk and pronate,walk pigeon toed, and in all sorts of manner. Some people pronate so much thier ankle bone on the side almost touch the ground. It is amazing to see the different way people walk. In the military we had it drummed into us day after day in boot camp to walk straight up, shoulders back,chest out, feet moving straight ahead and to dig in heels. To this day I am concious about how I carry myself when I walk and remind myself to stand tall each and every day.

john h on 5/06/02 at 09:23 (082603)

Wendy: some years ago some idiot made national news by attacking women and sucking their toes. maybe the toe ring thing would have prevented this. I sure hope none of you have a ring in your tongue. That has sure got to hurt. What is that all about anyway?

Carole C in NOLA on 5/06/02 at 11:32 (082625)

Kathy, those are great ideas! Thanks. I don't know how late at night the wedding will be, but probably not too late. All I know is that the wedding in the 'evening slot' on that day was cancelled so my brother's wedding was able to slip into that spot, rather than the 'noon slot' it was in before. Your gauze like dress sounds so pretty and should be comfortable if the lining is not too hot. This wedding sounds like a lot more fun than it would have been back in the fifties, when people had to dress so formally for these things.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/06/02 at 11:35 (082627)

I don't have one but a lot of younger people seem to have them now. I think it's just something that younger people think is fun and different. I have no desire to be pierced anywhere; I don't even have pierced ears. But toe rings don't require piercing. They are just like finger rings. I have no idea where they are sold, though! Maybe knee-high stockings and a pedicure would work instead.

Carole C

wendyn on 5/06/02 at 13:09 (082644)

You can buy toe rings anywhere. Try a cheap costume jewellry store...but no no no to the stockings!!! Why do you want to wear stockings!!!? Just the pedicure. Cute nail polish and you'll be on your way.

wendyn on 5/06/02 at 13:14 (082647)

GROSS John!!!!!

Actually we have one guy in our office who seems to be way too fascinated with feet.

He stopped to have a good look at my toe rings last year during a luncheon.

I have a habit of keeping them tucked under my desk when he's around.

lisa k on 5/06/02 at 13:19 (082649)

hi all, great job trudging,doing a hobby! and enjoying your fish ,i luv fish used to have tank but cats ,3 of them ,way too problematic, take care :),Lisa k

john h on 5/06/02 at 16:34 (082686)

They did catch the guy Wendy. I think he was placed in a hospital. Yes! do watch out for that 'feet' guy in your office.

Re: on a lighter note how was everyones day :)

Pam B on 5/03/02 at 07:41 (082275)

raging hormones x3.....my god give this woman a medal :) have a great day

Lisa G on 5/03/02 at 11:22 (082302)

hey everyone! it is friday...and it is spring...get out and enjoy it! even if you have to hobble to a spot on the grass and just sit...

lisa

wendyn on 5/03/02 at 12:22 (082316)

Thank you Lisa - but I would have to shovel the snow and ice to sit on my ass.

I mean grass.

But I'm happy it's Friday anyway.

Lisa G on 5/03/02 at 16:48 (082343)

sorry to hear that wendy...about your ass...er...grass...hope it gets warm enough to melt your snow soon!

lisa

wendyn on 5/03/02 at 18:15 (082348)

Thanks Lisa!

I am choked because I have a wedding to go to tomorrow. I am wearing a spring dress (sleevless) with my Birks. I am going to FREEZE. I went and bought a sweater to go with it today.

My dress shoes have to be fixed, so I have no choice but to go in summer attire.

This is the worst 'spring' I can remember!

John h on 5/03/02 at 18:41 (082354)

Wendy: sure sounds like you are dressing for the 60's to me (year not temp}. You should look like Janis Joplin.

wendyn on 5/03/02 at 19:57 (082359)

Yep John - that whole 60's look goes with the Birks. I had to change my entire wardrobe over the last 4 years to fit with my foot wear.

Lisa G on 5/04/02 at 00:31 (082371)

lolol...wendy...you'll look gorgeous i'm sure...i too have had to change my attire to go with my footwear...and i used to have a pair of shoes for every outfit!

lisa

have fun girl!

Tammie on 5/04/02 at 09:37 (082393)

Wendyn, I was sitting on a bench in the mall last evening for breaks , lol and I want you to know what i observed! I watched feet and walking and shoes I think I could tell you what style what brand and color of several people they must have thought I was weird as I noticed the woman in next bench watching me haha!

Anyways I noticed that there were many many wearing arizona like sandels alot were the fakes of brands but still the same style! They were people dressed in shorts which Lord knows it was to cool for them, and those dressed in the mini styles of skorts and spring dresses also I wonder how there fannys didnt get cold and it really seemed the thing from slacks to skirts to spring dresses Gosh I was wondering how they found the several different colors I never realized there were so many.Next I noticed shoes , New Balance is pretty popular with the ages of aprox late 20s to up , the younger groups had asics and addias and sketchers. I hardly saw any nikes or reebox which surprised me! But let me tell you I was in a lot of shoe stores (looking for the PERFECT shoe for 3 teenage girls) and they are all about 13 or 14, and they looked at MUdd or the L.E.I. brand with those awful hig wedges, and looked like if it didnt hurt you foot it would kill the ankles. I laughed at the girls and said come here let me show you what those could do to you, they said well you are old haha we are yound so our feet are good. I wanted and maybe did give them there look (you know the eye roll ) I said ok I think maybe fionding a good foot dr. now would save you frustration years from now. They just said oh you should try thease you would LOVE them, yea right oh the youth minds lol.I am sure whatever you wear will come off as just right for you and your will pull it off without a ? about the shoes you wear. Have a wonderful time! Hope the warmth arrives for you soon, it is teasing us here a bit !

Carole C in NOLA on 5/04/02 at 10:21 (082396)

I watch shoes all the time too, Tammie! People probably think I'm nuts because I'm always trying to subtly glance and check out what shoes everyone's wearing. I never paid any attention to shoes at all until I got PF.

I noticed that at least half the people at my internist's waiting room wear high quality shoes. I even struck up a conversation with one lady about her NB. LOL

Carole C

Julie on 5/04/02 at 12:23 (082403)

I don't watch shoe types and makes so much, but I do notice the way people walk, and I see lots of incipient cases of PF. I'll never forget that girl in stilettoed winklepickers, walking almost on the insides of her ankles.

wendyn on 5/04/02 at 14:39 (082408)

Here is the beautiful spring forecast...as you can see...we are expecting a lot of variety...snow, and snow, and snow. Can I PLEASE trade places with one of you who is sweltering in the heat?? Just for a few days!!?!?!?!

I am SO glad that my kids are not in baseball this year..I think this season may be almost a write off (usually play offs start mid June).

Well, off to the spring wedding in my stupid spring dress and my stupid spring sandals! Hoping that the wedding is fun anyway!

City of Calgary: Issued 11.00 AM MDT Saturday 4 May 2002

Today..Cloudy with 30 percent chance of flurries or showers. Wind southeast 20 km/h. High plus 5.

Tonight..Mainly cloudy with 60 percent chance of showers changing to flurries around midnight. Wind becoming west 30 this evening then diminishing. Low minus 4.

Sunday..Mainly cloudy with flurries or showers. Wind becoming southeast 20. High plus 4.

Monday..Periods of snow. Low minus 2. High 1.

Tuesday..Mainly cloudy. 60 percent chance of flurries or showers. Low minus 4. High 5.

Wednesday..Mainly cloudy. 40 percent chance of showers. Low minus 3. High 8. Normals for the period..Low 1. High 15.

Lisa G on 5/04/02 at 15:45 (082410)

wendy...we're not exactly sweltering here...but you're more than welcome to come to chicago...lol...

how was the wedding?

lisa

lisa k 4may on 5/04/02 at 17:38 (082424)

yes,how was it? HEY we can all start a fashion trend with birks(actually my teens were jealeous and wanted 'a new pair of sandels' like mine,really i am serious, *grin* reading all the posts on this thread cracked me up actually still have those lil smile muscles.......also the hobbling to your ass in the grass-lol i fantise im long john silver -sound like him walking thru the house at night -luv to you all Lisa K.
ps.missouri 70' and beautiful. but going to pay for it with sweltering humidity any day now

Carole C in NOLA on 5/04/02 at 18:38 (082436)

We are sweltering in New Orleans. It was in the lower 90's but the humidity is unreal and the sun is SO HOT and UNRELENTING that I was glad I did not have to stay out in it. I took my car to the carwash and almost wished I could follow it into the tunnel with all the water spraying on it.

We haven't had any rain for a month. This is no fair. Wendy gets too much rain and cold, and New Orleans would like her to send some this way.

Carole C

wendyn on 5/05/02 at 09:40 (082487)

Carole C - maybe half way between us the weather is just perfect?

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 09:43 (082488)

Wendy -

Not according to Suzanne! LOL All our heat meeting all your cold apparently ends up causing thunderstorms and sme4s.

What we need is a giant fan, or spoon, to mix Louisiana air with Canadian air... :)

Carole C

wendyn on 5/05/02 at 09:44 (082489)

Thanks Lisa - I love Chicago!!!

The wedding went pretty well...I am tired today though. I think we left around 10:00 so it wasn't a real late night. I had been up at 6:00 in the morning though, and I had a 4 hour class before I had to rush home and get ready for the wedding.

This afternoon I get to go and help stuff 7,200 envelopes for our community newsletter. Yippee!!! At least it's an indoor activity.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 09:49 (082490)

Wendy, was it an evening wedding?

My brother is getting married in the evening, in St. Louis this August, and it should be really hot there. I don't think I am in the bridal party and I'm trying to figure out what to wear. I'm not sure what people wear to an evening wedding in 2002. I haven't been to one since the sixties. They used to be fairly formal (but I am not a very formal person).

Carole C

Suzanne D on 5/05/02 at 13:30 (082513)

You're right, Carole! We keep having all these up and down temperatures along with storms!

Actually, today is the first Sunday in 6 weeks that it has not been raining! It is sunny and pleasant, and I wish everyone could have this weather right now.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 16:06 (082523)

I'm so glad! It's a little more pleasant here, too, because at least it is a little cloudy and maybe not quite so hot.

I am not hot at all because I'm sitting in wet clothes in the A/C. I have been messing with my fish tanks, hence the wet clothing. I just found the most super pet store that specializes in fish. The man was so knowledgeable and the things I bought made my new fish 100% happier.

I don't know if I mentioned it, but last weekend I cleaned my fish tank, boiled the gravel and everything to sterilize it, re-assembled it and then by yesterday I got two new mollies to replace Bert and Ernie, the two that died right before Christmas.

The two new fish are Dalmatian lyretail mollies, much prettier than Bert and Ernie who were plain black mollies. They don't have names yet but they are ecstatic over the huge airstone that the store owner gave me as a lagniappe (free extra). They love playing in the bubbles.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 5/05/02 at 16:20 (082526)

Your new fish sound great! I remember your posting about cleaning out your fish tank last weekend. It sounds like you have everything perfect for them now!

I hope you enjoy them for a long time to come!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 16:24 (082527)

I just hope they live this time! LOL They look a lot happier so I have great hopes that they will. I even bought them some interesting aquarium rocks with holes to hide in and a tunnel to swim under. But they love that big airstone the best.

Carole C

Re: IT"S RAINING!!!!!!! HURRAH, at last!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 16:29 (082529)

IT's raining outside!! It's pouring! At last!! It wasn't supposed to but here it is, it just started this second. It hasn't rained for a month. I feel like running out on my patio and doing a rain dance. (giggle)

WHOOPEE!!!

Carole C

Suzanne D on 5/05/02 at 16:32 (082530)

Hi, Carole! I have been to many weddings (with my husband being a minister) during the past 25 years. Now I must say first, we do not live in the fashion capital of the world :-), but I suppose we aren't THAT far from others in customs and dress. One thing that I have noticed in the past years is a marked decrease in set 'rules' one must follow at such events. When I was a little girl, I remember Mama said we (my sister and I) must wear hats and little white gloves to weddings. You didn't wear white shoes after Labor Day, etc. Remember those 'rules'? Hemlines were at a certain spot on one's legs, etc.

Now, it seems there is MUCH more individuality accepted in all those matters, which I tend to appreciate. From what I have experienced, I imagine you will see many styles of dress at your brother's wedding. I would offer the suggestion of wearing a long skirt or dress of light-weight fabric which would be nice and cool and also pretty with your Grenada (sp?) Birks so your feet will feel good. If I lived nearby, I would offer to French braid your pretty long hair, and then you would be quite comfortable in the heat and stylish as well! :-)

Just a thought...

Take care!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 17:43 (082532)

Suzanne, thanks for the terrific information!

Yes, those 'rules' were in full force the last time I was at an evening wedding (probably in the 1960's or so). I remember elbow length gloves at evening weddings and formal attire. This wedding will be in a medium large Methodist church in suburban St. Louis, so I would imagine they will wear the same sorts of clothing that you have seen at weddings.

Thanks for the hints! I think a long dress of light weight fabric would be perfect with my Grenadas. I can wear knee high hose with them and I think the effect would be nice, and my feet would be comfortable.

Now, if I can only think of something to give them as a wedding present. My brother and his bride to be have both been divorced for a long time from their previous spouses, and have been living together for 12 years. That makes shopping for them a real puzzle.

I am being really good and not asking, 'Why now?' I guess it took them a while to get up the nerve to actually tie the knot.

Carole C

wendyn on 5/05/02 at 20:29 (082557)

Carole, it was a 2:30 wedding with a dinner and dance later.

Weddings really have become more relaxed (at least here). A spring or summer dress and a pair of sandals will probably be just fine.

As long as it doesn't snow!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 20:47 (082560)

Good! Thanks, Wendy. Grenadas, knee-highs, and a light dress with a long skirt will do it, then.

Carole C

wendyn on 5/05/02 at 21:54 (082562)

Knee high what? Socks? Nylons? No no no - just bare feet. Get a pedicure and a toe ring. You will look awesome.

Kathy G on 5/06/02 at 08:40 (082594)

Carole,

Good for you! Sometimes the least said, the better! What about a gift certificate to a nice store or even a restaurant that you know they like? That way, they could purchase just what they want! I don't think that's a 'typical' wedding present, but then the couple isn't 'typical'!

I didn't see your post util today but for my neice's wedding, I finally found a long, kind of gauze (sp?) like dress with lining, and I plan to wear some old, but not worn because I had to stop wearing them years ago, Joseph Sibel sandals with it. I, too, figure with a pair of knee highs, I will be really comfortable. And since the dress is lined, I don't even have to wear a slip! (The guys who post here are saying, 'This is way more than I need to know!')

My sister, who's the mother of the bride, but has been to many more weddings than I have, says that unless it's a late-night, candlelight wedding, weddings, by and large, are much less formal than they used to be. Suzanne would know even better.

So, get a long dress or skirt and wear your Birks and kick up a storm (as best you can)!!!

john h on 5/06/02 at 08:50 (082597)

Wendy: Actually I still like the 60's look for the girls and seemed to be stuck in that era music and all. The 60's guys were something else however and looked much to gundgy (they all looked like they needed a good bath).

john h on 5/06/02 at 09:10 (082600)

Julie like you I very much watch the way people walk and pronate,walk pigeon toed, and in all sorts of manner. Some people pronate so much thier ankle bone on the side almost touch the ground. It is amazing to see the different way people walk. In the military we had it drummed into us day after day in boot camp to walk straight up, shoulders back,chest out, feet moving straight ahead and to dig in heels. To this day I am concious about how I carry myself when I walk and remind myself to stand tall each and every day.

john h on 5/06/02 at 09:23 (082603)

Wendy: some years ago some idiot made national news by attacking women and sucking their toes. maybe the toe ring thing would have prevented this. I sure hope none of you have a ring in your tongue. That has sure got to hurt. What is that all about anyway?

Carole C in NOLA on 5/06/02 at 11:32 (082625)

Kathy, those are great ideas! Thanks. I don't know how late at night the wedding will be, but probably not too late. All I know is that the wedding in the 'evening slot' on that day was cancelled so my brother's wedding was able to slip into that spot, rather than the 'noon slot' it was in before. Your gauze like dress sounds so pretty and should be comfortable if the lining is not too hot. This wedding sounds like a lot more fun than it would have been back in the fifties, when people had to dress so formally for these things.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/06/02 at 11:35 (082627)

I don't have one but a lot of younger people seem to have them now. I think it's just something that younger people think is fun and different. I have no desire to be pierced anywhere; I don't even have pierced ears. But toe rings don't require piercing. They are just like finger rings. I have no idea where they are sold, though! Maybe knee-high stockings and a pedicure would work instead.

Carole C

wendyn on 5/06/02 at 13:09 (082644)

You can buy toe rings anywhere. Try a cheap costume jewellry store...but no no no to the stockings!!! Why do you want to wear stockings!!!? Just the pedicure. Cute nail polish and you'll be on your way.

wendyn on 5/06/02 at 13:14 (082647)

GROSS John!!!!!

Actually we have one guy in our office who seems to be way too fascinated with feet.

He stopped to have a good look at my toe rings last year during a luncheon.

I have a habit of keeping them tucked under my desk when he's around.

lisa k on 5/06/02 at 13:19 (082649)

hi all, great job trudging,doing a hobby! and enjoying your fish ,i luv fish used to have tank but cats ,3 of them ,way too problematic, take care :),Lisa k

john h on 5/06/02 at 16:34 (082686)

They did catch the guy Wendy. I think he was placed in a hospital. Yes! do watch out for that 'feet' guy in your office.