Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Chiropractors

Posted by R C on 5/03/02 at 15:47 (082333)

I just wanted to share my 2 cents' worth on chiropractors, since the subject comes up frequently.

I've gone to a chirpractor for routine spinal adjustments for about the last decade. I've noticed that I no longer get tension headaches, and I rarely get backaches (I used to suffer from both regularly). No idea why it works, but the results are most satisfying.

Where I have a problem is when a chiropractor says he can cure such-and-such (you name the condition!), just by adjusting the right disk. If we're talking about a muscle cramp or stiff joint, that might sound reasonable. But many chiros blow their credibility on some pretty outlandish claims, and go on to support their assertions with puffy sounding pseudoscience. That's probably why there is still a cloud of scepticism hanging over that profession, despite the demonstrable good that it can do in many cases.

I wouldn't let my chiropractor treat my foot (he noticed I was limping), but I let him look at it. I asked what he would do, and why he thought it would work, and his answer sounded like the faux technospeak you hear on bad sci-fi. Then he jammed his thumb into the sore spot on my heel, and I nearly hit the roof. It took weeks for that to recover. All of which is too bad. My spine feels great, though.

Re: Chiropractors

Ellen J. on 5/03/02 at 19:51 (082358)

I have not yet been to a chiropractor but I have had the experience (more than once) of a pysical therapist or doctor pushing around on my arch and causing pain that lasted for days or weeks. Now I'm wiser and I tell the person I'm seeing, right up front, that any pressure on the arch damages my foot.
Glad your spine feels better!
Ellen J.

BGCPed on 5/04/02 at 00:15 (082368)

Remember the old saying 'When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail'

Kathy R. on 5/05/02 at 17:52 (082537)

I am seeing a chiropractor about some hip pain and I told him about my pf. He suggested a roll a golfball under my heel as hard as I can to break the calcium deposits and then ice afterwards. I was trying it as I will do almost anything to get rid of this chronic annoyance. I do think I will go back to my podiatrist this week because I feel this may reinjure my heel? Any comments...

BGCPed on 5/05/02 at 20:42 (082559)

I dont think I would do that.You need to address the issue of cause and footwear. I would hope one of the Dr on here shed some light on that treatment

Sandy on 5/06/02 at 01:08 (082570)

Just a follow up. Chiropractors can't achieve anything at all my pulling at toes and pressing on foot bones? My guy did the spine stuff and then a little bit on my feet and legs but I'd definitely tell him to stop if it was a waste of time. What do you think? To his credit he was pretty good at explaining to me how my foot being tight doesn't allow it to collapse as well on impact as the uninjured one. Would this tightness be helped by anti-inflammatories and help reverse the cycle of injury -> stiff foot -> reinjury -> stiffer foot

Re: Kathy re golfball

Julie on 5/06/02 at 02:30 (082573)

Kathy, what makes him think that your problem is calcium deposits, or that 'breaking them up' is the solution? Please be careful. And go back to your podiatrist

Re: calcium, tightness, etc.

R C on 5/06/02 at 10:32 (082611)

My understanding is that the 'crunchiness' that we feel in the injury results from calcium deposits in the scar tissue. There is probably benefit in breaking it up, but I would leave that to vigorous massage by a competent physical therapist, rather than a golf ball.

It is my experience (from 2 years of PF) that the injured tissue wants to tighten as it heals; and a good cautious remedy would be a daily program of heat, massage, then stretching (gently, if necessary), followed by ice.
I went with a 12 minute soak in hot water, then 5 minutes of rolling my foot over a tubular foot massager, then do various non-weight-bearing calf stretches, then 12 minutes of ice water in a ziploc bag. Twice a day, if possible.

JudyS on 5/06/02 at 15:30 (082675)

Kathy - the one thing I'd be a little cautious about is that 'hard as you can' part. You could end up creating too much more generalized soreness. Perhaps medium pressure for several short periods of time throughout the day until you get used to it?

john h on 5/06/02 at 16:26 (082684)

as we age we get calcium deposites all through our body including many internal organs such as the bladder,kidneys,liver,soft tissues,etc. mostly just a result of the aging process.

Re: golf ball under heel

Ellen J. on 5/06/02 at 20:03 (082719)

Hi Kathy,
In my experience, I know that if I did the golf ball thing I would end up with a serious setback. Anytime I push on my arch, my P.F. worsens. I would be really careful with that. Just a thought, as I don't want to see you get more sore than you already are.
If you already tried it, was your heel/arch sore the next day or 2 days later? If not, then maybe it's OK. for you to do that.
Good luck!
Ellen

Re: Hands

Sandy H. on 5/06/02 at 22:47 (082744)

I think you can get a much more controlled effect massaging with your own fingers using some anti-inflam cream or natural thing like bilberry extract cream. Go to a foot massager and concentrate on how they do it (tell them to go easy). Then do it to yourself every day. I tried golf balls etc. and decided it was just aggravating things.

Julie on 5/07/02 at 02:50 (082755)

RC

I've just read your post on chiropractors. Certainly some less-than-reputable practitioners make wild claims. But they may not be as wild as you think. Spinal adjustments aren't simply a matter of muscle cramp and stiff joints. Many problems in both the lower and upper limbs originate from the spine. This is because all the nerves in the peripheral nervous system radiate out from the spine to supply the entire body. So when a chiro or osteopath makes an adjustment to the vertebrae, s/he is often releasing the pressure on a nerve caused by the impingement of an intervertebral disc.

john h on 5/07/02 at 08:58 (082780)

I was for most of my life very skeptical of Chiropractors especially when they at one time attempted to treat all sorts of medical problems. It seems that in the last few decades many of them have moved more towards the main stream of medicine. Some chiropractors are now on the staff of some prestigeous medical institutes such as the Texas Back Institute. There continues to be some Chiropractors of the old school that will treat stomach problems and about anything else.

Kathy G on 5/07/02 at 09:11 (082784)

You're so right, John. The first chiropractor I ever went to, an elderly gentleman who was wonderful, told me to 'run like hell from any chiropractor who says he can cure anything, including the common cold!' Wise words, indeed!

Ellen J. on 5/03/02 at 19:51 (082358)

I have not yet been to a chiropractor but I have had the experience (more than once) of a pysical therapist or doctor pushing around on my arch and causing pain that lasted for days or weeks. Now I'm wiser and I tell the person I'm seeing, right up front, that any pressure on the arch damages my foot.
Glad your spine feels better!
Ellen J.

BGCPed on 5/04/02 at 00:15 (082368)

Remember the old saying 'When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail'

Kathy R. on 5/05/02 at 17:52 (082537)

I am seeing a chiropractor about some hip pain and I told him about my pf. He suggested a roll a golfball under my heel as hard as I can to break the calcium deposits and then ice afterwards. I was trying it as I will do almost anything to get rid of this chronic annoyance. I do think I will go back to my podiatrist this week because I feel this may reinjure my heel? Any comments...

BGCPed on 5/05/02 at 20:42 (082559)

I dont think I would do that.You need to address the issue of cause and footwear. I would hope one of the Dr on here shed some light on that treatment

Sandy on 5/06/02 at 01:08 (082570)

Just a follow up. Chiropractors can't achieve anything at all my pulling at toes and pressing on foot bones? My guy did the spine stuff and then a little bit on my feet and legs but I'd definitely tell him to stop if it was a waste of time. What do you think? To his credit he was pretty good at explaining to me how my foot being tight doesn't allow it to collapse as well on impact as the uninjured one. Would this tightness be helped by anti-inflammatories and help reverse the cycle of injury -> stiff foot -> reinjury -> stiffer foot

Re: Kathy re golfball

Julie on 5/06/02 at 02:30 (082573)

Kathy, what makes him think that your problem is calcium deposits, or that 'breaking them up' is the solution? Please be careful. And go back to your podiatrist

R C on 5/06/02 at 10:32 (082611)

My understanding is that the 'crunchiness' that we feel in the injury results from calcium deposits in the scar tissue. There is probably benefit in breaking it up, but I would leave that to vigorous massage by a competent physical therapist, rather than a golf ball.

It is my experience (from 2 years of PF) that the injured tissue wants to tighten as it heals; and a good cautious remedy would be a daily program of heat, massage, then stretching (gently, if necessary), followed by ice.
I went with a 12 minute soak in hot water, then 5 minutes of rolling my foot over a tubular foot massager, then do various non-weight-bearing calf stretches, then 12 minutes of ice water in a ziploc bag. Twice a day, if possible.

JudyS on 5/06/02 at 15:30 (082675)

Kathy - the one thing I'd be a little cautious about is that 'hard as you can' part. You could end up creating too much more generalized soreness. Perhaps medium pressure for several short periods of time throughout the day until you get used to it?

john h on 5/06/02 at 16:26 (082684)

as we age we get calcium deposites all through our body including many internal organs such as the bladder,kidneys,liver,soft tissues,etc. mostly just a result of the aging process.

Re: golf ball under heel

Ellen J. on 5/06/02 at 20:03 (082719)

Hi Kathy,
In my experience, I know that if I did the golf ball thing I would end up with a serious setback. Anytime I push on my arch, my P.F. worsens. I would be really careful with that. Just a thought, as I don't want to see you get more sore than you already are.
If you already tried it, was your heel/arch sore the next day or 2 days later? If not, then maybe it's OK. for you to do that.
Good luck!
Ellen

Re: Hands

Sandy H. on 5/06/02 at 22:47 (082744)

I think you can get a much more controlled effect massaging with your own fingers using some anti-inflam cream or natural thing like bilberry extract cream. Go to a foot massager and concentrate on how they do it (tell them to go easy). Then do it to yourself every day. I tried golf balls etc. and decided it was just aggravating things.

Julie on 5/07/02 at 02:50 (082755)

RC

I've just read your post on chiropractors. Certainly some less-than-reputable practitioners make wild claims. But they may not be as wild as you think. Spinal adjustments aren't simply a matter of muscle cramp and stiff joints. Many problems in both the lower and upper limbs originate from the spine. This is because all the nerves in the peripheral nervous system radiate out from the spine to supply the entire body. So when a chiro or osteopath makes an adjustment to the vertebrae, s/he is often releasing the pressure on a nerve caused by the impingement of an intervertebral disc.

john h on 5/07/02 at 08:58 (082780)

I was for most of my life very skeptical of Chiropractors especially when they at one time attempted to treat all sorts of medical problems. It seems that in the last few decades many of them have moved more towards the main stream of medicine. Some chiropractors are now on the staff of some prestigeous medical institutes such as the Texas Back Institute. There continues to be some Chiropractors of the old school that will treat stomach problems and about anything else.

Kathy G on 5/07/02 at 09:11 (082784)

You're so right, John. The first chiropractor I ever went to, an elderly gentleman who was wonderful, told me to 'run like hell from any chiropractor who says he can cure anything, including the common cold!' Wise words, indeed!