Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Continue to run?

Posted by R C on 5/03/02 at 16:05 (082336)

(This message sort of replies to Stan P, but the thread below was getting off track.... Just to review: Stan got PF from running, recovered after a long period, then started getting pain again as he eased back into running.)

Stan, it is possible that the PF has come back because over the years of abuse (i.e., training for marathons) your feet have suffered biomechanical changes that predispose you to injury. My podiatrist claims reasonably that your feet change anyway as you age, and probably not for the better. Like yourself, I used to be a runner. Now after a 2 year battle with PF (caused by heavy lifting, however), I have decided that I will never again run for exercise: No way am I going to risk what I went through to beat this dreadful condition.

I now have a nice recumbent bike (installed in front of the TV!), and it is helping me to lose the 12 pounds I gain when my foot injury took me out of my exercise program. This apparatus does not require my feet to bear my full weight, so the risk for re-injury is minimal.

I humbly suggest you ask your podiatrist to examine your feet and your gait to determine whether you too are in a high risk group and therefore will need to turn to a different form of exercise.

Re: Continue to run?

Robin P on 5/04/02 at 13:20 (082405)

Recent clinical studies in leading Orthopaedic surgery jourals show that shockwave therapy is effective in treating plantar fasciitis. The therapy is available at the Hospital of St John and Elizabeth in London, England.

More details are available on http://www.genmedhealth.com

Re: Continue to run? RC

Stan_P on 5/05/02 at 06:08 (082471)

R C,

I'll check in with a Podiatrist, I haven't throughout the PF cycle. Always attended PT. I was 99.9% free of PF when I started running again. I ran in PT sessions without pain, continued still no pain. One day, not on a run day, over stretched my foot, and now its back.

What kind of heavy lifting? Weight training or other? I did start weight training and used the leg press. Thanks.

R C on 5/05/02 at 14:12 (082514)

The heavy lifting that triggered my PF was moving furniture and boxes of stuff -- up and down many flights of stairs - two years ago when I moved into my new house. I did not stretch out properly, nor was I conditioned for this amount of usage. I was predisposed for injury based on having very flat feet, and having been a runner all my life.

Modest strength training is probably a good idea as long as you stretch out well before and after and do a sensible amount of resistance (as we did in physical therapy).

Re: Robin

Carmen on 5/06/02 at 17:45 (082698)

This site is very informative about ESWT...probably more so than your link. Do a search on the ESWT on the bottom of the board for more info.

Re: Continue to run?

Robin P on 5/04/02 at 13:20 (082405)

Recent clinical studies in leading Orthopaedic surgery jourals show that shockwave therapy is effective in treating plantar fasciitis. The therapy is available at the Hospital of St John and Elizabeth in London, England.

More details are available on http://www.genmedhealth.com

Stan_P on 5/05/02 at 06:08 (082471)

R C,

I'll check in with a Podiatrist, I haven't throughout the PF cycle. Always attended PT. I was 99.9% free of PF when I started running again. I ran in PT sessions without pain, continued still no pain. One day, not on a run day, over stretched my foot, and now its back.

What kind of heavy lifting? Weight training or other? I did start weight training and used the leg press. Thanks.

R C on 5/05/02 at 14:12 (082514)

The heavy lifting that triggered my PF was moving furniture and boxes of stuff -- up and down many flights of stairs - two years ago when I moved into my new house. I did not stretch out properly, nor was I conditioned for this amount of usage. I was predisposed for injury based on having very flat feet, and having been a runner all my life.

Modest strength training is probably a good idea as long as you stretch out well before and after and do a sensible amount of resistance (as we did in physical therapy).

Re: Robin

Carmen on 5/06/02 at 17:45 (082698)

This site is very informative about ESWT...probably more so than your link. Do a search on the ESWT on the bottom of the board for more info.