Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fascia pain and Bone Spur

Posted by Donna C. on 5/04/02 at 15:47 (082411)

Doctor,
I have chronic plantar fascia pain, for more than six months, and have recently been diagnosed with a hook-shaped bone spur. The pain is incredible, the worst i have ever experienced anywhere on my body, I have had cortisone shots and am staying with the prescribed regimen of inactivity and exercises to stretch the tendon from my physician here in Florida. But I would like to know if you know a doctor in the Clearwater area of Florida who can perform an Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy so I could get an opinion about my condition relative to that procedure from them. I have read dozens of informational sites and hundreds of opinions on the subject and would like to have your opinion and referral if you have one. I understand the exercises are 90% effective and that the EPF procedure is highly disuaded if it can be avoided, but my pain is very intense and I would like an opinion from an EPF trained physician. Thank you for your time, Donna C. (email removed)

Re: Plantar Fascia pain and Bone Spur

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/04/02 at 17:14 (082419)

I hope that the exercises work for you. They are usually not used as the only treatment for plantar fasciitis though. Take some time to read Scott's Heel Pain Book to gain an understanding of the entire gamut of conservative treatment for plantar fasciitis. I would not consider surgical treatment until you have had appropriate conservative care. It sounds like a lot more needs to be done.
Ed

Vanessa G on 5/04/02 at 17:47 (082427)

Do everything you can before you consider surgery for your foot. I had the surgery a year ago and everything is much worse because of scar tisue from the operation. I am in constant pain and it is hard for me to walk even after much physical therepy so consider everything else first.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 5/05/02 at 06:32 (082476)

Hi Donna:

I agree with Dr. Davis that you need to do more than just stretching. Have you have physcial therapy, NSAIDS, night splints, shoe modification, ice? I would hold off on surgical management until you have exhausted all conservative means. I also think with the advent of ESWT, we seldomly performr EPF'S. I think technology changes and improves over time. Please let me know what has been done?

Dr. John Cozzareli

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/04/02 at 17:14 (082419)

I hope that the exercises work for you. They are usually not used as the only treatment for plantar fasciitis though. Take some time to read Scott's Heel Pain Book to gain an understanding of the entire gamut of conservative treatment for plantar fasciitis. I would not consider surgical treatment until you have had appropriate conservative care. It sounds like a lot more needs to be done.
Ed

Vanessa G on 5/04/02 at 17:47 (082427)

Do everything you can before you consider surgery for your foot. I had the surgery a year ago and everything is much worse because of scar tisue from the operation. I am in constant pain and it is hard for me to walk even after much physical therepy so consider everything else first.

Dr. Cozzarelli on 5/05/02 at 06:32 (082476)

Hi Donna:

I agree with Dr. Davis that you need to do more than just stretching. Have you have physcial therapy, NSAIDS, night splints, shoe modification, ice? I would hold off on surgical management until you have exhausted all conservative means. I also think with the advent of ESWT, we seldomly performr EPF'S. I think technology changes and improves over time. Please let me know what has been done?

Dr. John Cozzareli