Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Snake Lady

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 5/04/02 at 18:51 (082438)

The skin on the bottoms of my feet got too soft after months of inactivity and massaging with lotion, etc. Now that I'm walking more, suddenly this morning I'm shedding my skin like a snake! It's coming off the bottom of my feet in great huge pieces. It's hilarious (and doesn't hurt; it's just the soft outer layer).

It almost seems like I'm shedding my winter skin now that the hot summer sun is here, just like some reptiles do. Just call me the Snake Lady of New Orleans. (grin)

Carole C

Re: Snake Lady

Lisa G on 5/04/02 at 19:35 (082442)

lol...heyyyyyy snake lady...

lisa

Suzanne D on 5/04/02 at 20:10 (082447)

Hi, Carole! That's funny...:-) Before we began our ocean animal study at school, we studied reptiles. I really had to make myself show enthusiasm for those animals (never been a lover of snakes), but it is fascinating to learn about any animal!

Speaking of having to muster up courage for the children's sake...I have a VERY bright little first grade girl who won 1st place in our science fair last week with her 'Mice Mummies' project. She has been fascinated with Egyptology and mummies and read about this all year. So, at home she mummified two mice over a period of 40 days, doing all the rituals she read about. There were pictures of her with gloves on, weighing the heart, stuffing the body cavity, etc. She even made a little sarcophagus for each! And there were the mice in all their glory. But, I HAD to be show enthusiasm, and I was proud of her, but I thought I might get sick when I looked at those mice!

Who knows, perhaps she will grow up and discover some medical secrets to help us all some day!

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/04/02 at 20:37 (082450)

Wow! That's amazing for a first grader, Suzanne! I'll bet she's a sweetie pie even if her project was a little macabre.

Carole C

Lisa G on 5/04/02 at 21:17 (082453)

wow suzanne...mummified mice...that had to be really interesting...even if a bit macabre...how did they turn out?

lisa

Suzanne D on 5/04/02 at 21:33 (082455)

Yes, Lisa and Carole, the project WAS interesting even if it was a little morbid! It turned out quite well, and the kids were impressed. I realized later that some of them did not really grasp what she had done as I heard a little girl say something about those 'fake mice'! :-)

And she is a sweetie pie, too. She's interested in missing teeth and other things that first graders find important while she reads on a high school level and ponders issues concerning the terrorists and the September 11th attack. It's been a pleasant challenge to work with her this year. I'll miss her - as I will all my students - come May 28, our last day of school!

Re: Mummified mice

Sharon W on 5/04/02 at 23:55 (082463)

Suzanne,

Very smart girl! She sounds like she might make a great archeologist, or perhaps a forensic pathologist, someday.

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 05:29 (082469)

I was just reading a book on forensic pathology and forensic science in general at bedtime last night; not a technical book, just one for the general public describing some of the great achievements in forensic pathology and forensic detective work throughout history.

What a fascinating subject! (At least, from a distance! LOL)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 09:57 (082491)

The book is entitled, 'The Casebook of Forensic Detection' by Colin Evans, published by John Wiley & Sons, 1996, 309 pp.

Fascinating stuff!

Carole C

Sharon W on 5/05/02 at 10:57 (082497)

Carole,

Really sounds like a cool book!

I got my cane at the RenFaire yesterday, by the way.

It doesn't look like I did any real damage to my feet, going to the Faire. I wasn't in THAT much pain afterwards, although I did take a Darvocet and rub on some Voltaren cream and ice several times once I got home. I did get a ride up to the entrance, and I'm sure that helped.

Of course, sometimes when I've done something to my feet it doesn't hurt until a day or two LATER. I don't quite understand that phenomenon, but I've noticed it mentioned in a couple of posts and it seems to be true for me, sometimes. At least I can say, so far, so good! :))

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 11:59 (082503)

That's great! I'm so glad you found a good cane, and also that you are not feeling any pain so far. Sounds like you had a good time going to the Faire. Nobody can appreciate the joys of getting out, as much as the group here at heelspurs.com .

I've noticed the same thing. Whatever I do to my feet, or for my feet, seems to have a delayed effect. Probably it would be best to rest as much as you can today and tomorrow. It's possible that you won't feel any pain! But easy does it. LOL

Carole C

john h on 5/05/02 at 12:27 (082507)

I read a heartfelt story recently. After the volcano exploded in the west some years ago one of the first scientiest on the mountain a few days after it was safe found a petrifed blue jay on the ground with her wings spread out. He kicked over the bird and underneith were two tiny birds still alive. The mother had refused to fly away and had spread her wings to protect her young.

Re: Thanks Carole (eom)

Sharon W on 5/05/02 at 12:30 (082508)

-- Sharon

Re: John h

Sharon W on 5/05/02 at 12:34 (082509)

Thanks, John, for the tender but sad little story.

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 12:42 (082511)

Aw! That is so sweet. As a mother I know I felt that way about my daughter when she was little, and I still do.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 5/05/02 at 13:27 (082512)

Yes, I read that story, too, John, in an e-mail someone sent me awhile back. I thought it was a great example of a mother's love for her children.

Lisa G on 5/04/02 at 19:35 (082442)

lol...heyyyyyy snake lady...

lisa

Suzanne D on 5/04/02 at 20:10 (082447)

Hi, Carole! That's funny...:-) Before we began our ocean animal study at school, we studied reptiles. I really had to make myself show enthusiasm for those animals (never been a lover of snakes), but it is fascinating to learn about any animal!

Speaking of having to muster up courage for the children's sake...I have a VERY bright little first grade girl who won 1st place in our science fair last week with her 'Mice Mummies' project. She has been fascinated with Egyptology and mummies and read about this all year. So, at home she mummified two mice over a period of 40 days, doing all the rituals she read about. There were pictures of her with gloves on, weighing the heart, stuffing the body cavity, etc. She even made a little sarcophagus for each! And there were the mice in all their glory. But, I HAD to be show enthusiasm, and I was proud of her, but I thought I might get sick when I looked at those mice!

Who knows, perhaps she will grow up and discover some medical secrets to help us all some day!

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/04/02 at 20:37 (082450)

Wow! That's amazing for a first grader, Suzanne! I'll bet she's a sweetie pie even if her project was a little macabre.

Carole C

Lisa G on 5/04/02 at 21:17 (082453)

wow suzanne...mummified mice...that had to be really interesting...even if a bit macabre...how did they turn out?

lisa

Suzanne D on 5/04/02 at 21:33 (082455)

Yes, Lisa and Carole, the project WAS interesting even if it was a little morbid! It turned out quite well, and the kids were impressed. I realized later that some of them did not really grasp what she had done as I heard a little girl say something about those 'fake mice'! :-)

And she is a sweetie pie, too. She's interested in missing teeth and other things that first graders find important while she reads on a high school level and ponders issues concerning the terrorists and the September 11th attack. It's been a pleasant challenge to work with her this year. I'll miss her - as I will all my students - come May 28, our last day of school!

Sharon W on 5/04/02 at 23:55 (082463)

Suzanne,

Very smart girl! She sounds like she might make a great archeologist, or perhaps a forensic pathologist, someday.

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 05:29 (082469)

I was just reading a book on forensic pathology and forensic science in general at bedtime last night; not a technical book, just one for the general public describing some of the great achievements in forensic pathology and forensic detective work throughout history.

What a fascinating subject! (At least, from a distance! LOL)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 09:57 (082491)

The book is entitled, 'The Casebook of Forensic Detection' by Colin Evans, published by John Wiley & Sons, 1996, 309 pp.

Fascinating stuff!

Carole C

Sharon W on 5/05/02 at 10:57 (082497)

Carole,

Really sounds like a cool book!

I got my cane at the RenFaire yesterday, by the way.

It doesn't look like I did any real damage to my feet, going to the Faire. I wasn't in THAT much pain afterwards, although I did take a Darvocet and rub on some Voltaren cream and ice several times once I got home. I did get a ride up to the entrance, and I'm sure that helped.

Of course, sometimes when I've done something to my feet it doesn't hurt until a day or two LATER. I don't quite understand that phenomenon, but I've noticed it mentioned in a couple of posts and it seems to be true for me, sometimes. At least I can say, so far, so good! :))

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 11:59 (082503)

That's great! I'm so glad you found a good cane, and also that you are not feeling any pain so far. Sounds like you had a good time going to the Faire. Nobody can appreciate the joys of getting out, as much as the group here at heelspurs.com .

I've noticed the same thing. Whatever I do to my feet, or for my feet, seems to have a delayed effect. Probably it would be best to rest as much as you can today and tomorrow. It's possible that you won't feel any pain! But easy does it. LOL

Carole C

john h on 5/05/02 at 12:27 (082507)

I read a heartfelt story recently. After the volcano exploded in the west some years ago one of the first scientiest on the mountain a few days after it was safe found a petrifed blue jay on the ground with her wings spread out. He kicked over the bird and underneith were two tiny birds still alive. The mother had refused to fly away and had spread her wings to protect her young.

Re: Thanks Carole (eom)

Sharon W on 5/05/02 at 12:30 (082508)

-- Sharon

Re: John h

Sharon W on 5/05/02 at 12:34 (082509)

Thanks, John, for the tender but sad little story.

-- Sharon

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 12:42 (082511)

Aw! That is so sweet. As a mother I know I felt that way about my daughter when she was little, and I still do.

Carole C

Suzanne D on 5/05/02 at 13:27 (082512)

Yes, I read that story, too, John, in an e-mail someone sent me awhile back. I thought it was a great example of a mother's love for her children.