Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can I cure this?

Posted by Pam M on 5/05/02 at 15:56 (082522)

I am 22 years old. When I was 19, I backpacked in Europe for 2 months in bad footwear. As a result, my arches fell and I began experiencing pain in the bottom of my feet. The pain would come and go, so I continued playing soccer, dancing and running occasionally. When I was 21, the pain got worse and I was forced to rest. I now visit a physiotherapist, pediatrist regularly, and I wear custom fit orthotics. I do not do any activity other than swimming now and I stay off my feet as much as possible. I am aware of all the treatment methods, but I am afraid this will be a problem for ever. I am quite young and some day hope to run around and play soccer with kids of my own. Will this be possible for me?

Re: Can I cure this?

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 16:19 (082525)

Pam, I found out from the doctors on this board that most people with PF do recover completely.

I am thrilled about this because I am nearly completely recovered already and it looks like I'm going to make it all the way, to 100% recovery. Julie, who also posts on this board, is nearly completley recovered also. Naturally those who are completely recovered tend to disappear from this message board.

Right now, I am well enough that I could play soccer with kids even though I'm 53 (I doubt I'd win, but I would be able to play without pain). Yesterday I went to a half dozen stores, including big ones like Sports Authority and Linens 'N' Things, and the grocery store, and did this after at least 4 hours of housework and laundry. That's a lot of activity and my feet don't feel any worse.

It is possible to recover from this. Read the heel pain book, if you haven't already, and start doing the things it suggests. Rest, gentle stretching, ice, orthotics, anti-inflammatories, never going barefoot... all these are important to your recovery. Be sure to post and ask any questions you may have; I have found these message boards also provide me with understanding support when things get to me.

Carole C

Re: Can I cure this?

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 16:19 (082525)

Pam, I found out from the doctors on this board that most people with PF do recover completely.

I am thrilled about this because I am nearly completely recovered already and it looks like I'm going to make it all the way, to 100% recovery. Julie, who also posts on this board, is nearly completley recovered also. Naturally those who are completely recovered tend to disappear from this message board.

Right now, I am well enough that I could play soccer with kids even though I'm 53 (I doubt I'd win, but I would be able to play without pain). Yesterday I went to a half dozen stores, including big ones like Sports Authority and Linens 'N' Things, and the grocery store, and did this after at least 4 hours of housework and laundry. That's a lot of activity and my feet don't feel any worse.

It is possible to recover from this. Read the heel pain book, if you haven't already, and start doing the things it suggests. Rest, gentle stretching, ice, orthotics, anti-inflammatories, never going barefoot... all these are important to your recovery. Be sure to post and ask any questions you may have; I have found these message boards also provide me with understanding support when things get to me.

Carole C