Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Nancy S.

Posted by Carmen on 5/05/02 at 18:37 (082540)

Nancy~

I didn't read all the replies to your post...I have spent the last 5 hours driving from Tenn. (in my NEW car! yippee!) and I am sooo tired BUT wanted to mention something.
A lot of what you wrote....reminded me of me. A LOT. Maybe not all of it now...but at one point if you can recall I was in a lot of pain....my back was burning (upper and lower) I had pain in my wrists (was told it was carpal tunnel), knee pain, hip pain, glutes were on fire...just a lot of the same types of things...not to mention bilateral PF. I read into fibro....asked about it...but never really believed it was Fibro. I just wanted to make 'sure' (as sure as you can with something so hard to diagnose).
SO what I wanted to mention is that in all the reading...studying...research on what ALL of these things could be I believe it has boiled down to this for me...simple (not really and sure doesn't feel that way!!!) back and feet issues causing EVERYThing else.
I'll tell you why I feel this way. Not one of my MRI's, XRAYS, BLOOD tests came back with anything wrong and my symptoms and trigger point areas were inconsistent with Fibro findings AND now this is the big reason....the kinesiologist I saw ONE time treated me and my wrists, glutes, lower back and feet improved (ALL but feet were 99% better immediately. With continued stretching and healthy living I rarely have flare ups. I had one a week or so ago...but I over did it and caused my back to react. so I know the origin of the pain. You may want to read into biomechanics and some of the archived articles on the magazine web site on how everything relates....you may change your thoughts on the fibro. I HOPE you don't have it.....but more and more I am hearing such mixed diagnosis and opinions on it. I am not saying this Joe character is right...not saying he was right at all in saying what he did....(he could have had some tact) but I HAVE been told MANY MANY times by (orthopedics, Rheum., GP, Physiatrist etc) that Fibro is most of the time...not fibro. That there are biomechanical things causing tightness, causing spasms, which affect EVERYthing about your body and the way you walk, sit stand etc.....which can affect nerves, muscles, tendons, the overall fascia of the human body is apt to react to certain pain....
SO anyway...with a yawn and a sigh....and a prayer for you I hope you find the cause of your pain...I hope you don't take any offense about what I repeated I have been told. It's simply their opinion due to experience with their recent patients...that's all. This post is meant for you so if anyone starts slamming me for just stating simply what I have been told in the last 10 months I am going to ignore it....
I wish the best best best for you...for your to start feeling better.
Check out Andrew Weil's book 'Spontaneous Healing' if you like to read...it's an amazing book with wonderful insight.

Re: Nancy S. -- to carmen and all others concerned

nancy s. on 5/06/02 at 04:17 (082579)

thanks, carmen, for describing your experience -- i value almost all of the experiences i've read (ahem), and that includes yours.

my mind has gone in the 'wondering about fibro' direction because, like you, all my other tests -- and i've had many in the past few years because of feet and shoulders, including much bloodwork , x rays, and an mri -- have been negative for any other systemic illness. i have not had a trigger points exam, so i do think that should be next on the agenda.

however, in the past two days, a strange thing has happened: the knee pain i've had for months, and the especially bad back & leg pain i've had for several weeks, have vanished. for two whole days and nights. i don't get it! it's now been over 48 hours that i've woken up with no pain (just my usual, a little bit painful feet stiffness, plus shoulders) and stayed that way through the day. maybe the big winds we've had here the last few days blew them away, i don't know.

i have to admit that now i don't feel inspired to call the doctor and pay out of pocket for a visit when i'm not suffering. all my friends here who have been worried about my suffering lately -- i have to say, please don't worry, because it's gone for now. i don't get it. it's as though someone waved a magic wand and took it away in one moment. ok, who did it?

maybe i overdid things in working on my store -- i didn't think so, but maybe i was flying high and didn't keep aware enough of what i was doing.

anyway, i'm feeling much better. if i don't see my doctor this week, i still plan to get trigger-points-tested the next time i see him, for anything.

thanks everyone, for everything.
nancy

nancy s. on 5/06/02 at 04:22 (082580)

why is it that a person can type what looks like a fairly short post in the box scott provides, and then when it appears on the board it comes out as this long-winded ramble? i thought my above post would take up about three inches on the screen.

Carmen on 5/06/02 at 07:10 (082583)

Well I am glad this had gotten better for now....and hopefully it will stay away. Muscular pain is odd...you never know what will happen.
Keep us posted.

Barbara S on 5/06/02 at 07:27 (082586)

Nancy S. Please be carefull on how much activity you start to do. Fibro can move around and people have good days and bad days. When the good days come you feel like you can lift the world,but then might pay for it days later. This has happened to me. So take care hope everything turns out right for you. God Bless. Barbara S.

john h on 5/06/02 at 09:26 (082604)

nacy s: that is because ladies not only type that way but talk that way. touche!!!

Re: Nancy S.

Lisa G on 5/06/02 at 09:40 (082606)

hi carmen...i would agree with what you have found in the last 10 months...that often times fibro is not fibro...it is unfortunate that so many people are diagnosed with this condition...when in fact they do not have it...and THINK they should have all the symptoms...so do then have the symptoms...

i'm very pleased to hear that you do not have it! and have found something that has helped with your pain!!

to your continued good health...lisa

ps...what kind of car did you buy?

nancy s. on 5/06/02 at 10:56 (082616)

i'm sure you're right, barbara. many thanks for the reminder! i seem always to need them.
nancy

nancy s. on 5/06/02 at 10:57 (082617)

good one, john, i have to admit. maybe i'll come up with a good whopper in return in another year or two; it would take that long to match yours.
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 5/06/02 at 11:47 (082631)

Nancy, just out of curiousity... are you wearing different shoes?

I know, I know, some of us here including me tend to be a little foot and shoe oriented. But I've noticed my knee pain disappeared altogether with my custom orthotics, and re-appeared with my New Balance 879's along with some sharp hip pain/cramping. And wearing NB 854's for two hours (before returning them) made me feel such acute back pain that it was like someone had stuck a spear in my back.

(None of this is meant to even hint that you don't have fibromyalgia too, which I regard as very real.)

Carole C

Carmen on 5/06/02 at 11:53 (082633)

Thanks Lisa!!! I am feeling reat right now. Besides the usual bout of PMS...ugh.
mean carmen. ;-)
I got a 99 Tahoe, loaded with a v8 engine and all leather interior...I LOVE it. LOVE it LOVE it!
:o)

nancy s. on 5/06/02 at 20:44 (082727)

what an interesting question, carole ... as a matter of fact, for a while there i went from my birks to a hiking boot with a huge toebox i found for six bucks. into these things i parked some birks inserts with way higher arches than i'm used to, and covered them with some other inserts to lessen the 3/4 drop-off point.

this was an effort to keep my feet warmer during a cold spell. i think i wore them more often than not for about three or four weeks. then several weeks ago i went back solely (heh heh) to birks (new ones -- tatami coopers -- i love them).

your question makes me ponder the timing of these things. i believe my back and leg pain started somewhere around the time i stopped wearing the high-arch hikers! i wonder if that was it??? the sudden drop back down, which is kind of how it felt (and it was a relief as far as my feet went). your question made me remember that a friend who needed orthotics a few years ago went to pick them up at her doctor's office, put them into her shoes while there, and threw her back completely out while walking across the parking lot to her car.

there's still the nagging question of why i've had so many tendon problems in wrists, feet, and shoulders. but if my back isn't going to join that club permanently, i'll be a very happy camper. i think you just made my day.

thanks!
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 5/06/02 at 21:34 (082734)

Great! At least it's something to think about... :) I hope maybe it helps.

Carole C

john h on 5/06/02 at 21:59 (082739)

Nancy your post about boots brings to mind something I have been thinking about the last several weeks and that is why not try wearing hiking boots. Who knows? Maybe tha added support to the ankle,etc might just have an effect on PF.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/07/02 at 06:31 (082760)

John, it is worth a try. Changing shoes now and then is still very helpful for me and it might be for you! I know nothing about hiking boots, but get some good ones if you decide to try them. :)

Carole C

Re: New Tahoe and moving!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/07/02 at 06:50 (082761)

How wonderful to have a new Tahoe to start off your new life in Tennessee! :) I love all leather interiors like that.

D-day for the move must be coming up pretty soon. I'm glad your orthotics are working because with the stress and hard work of the move your feet will need extra TLC (like good orthotics!)

I've been thinking about your move and the stresses it will bring to your feet. If I were moving, I'd make a foot care kit to take with me in the car. It would include things like my Birkenstocks (or whatever shoes you wear in your leisure time), my shower shoes, anti-inflammatories, lotion, and some ziplocks for ice (in case I didn't have access to a freezer but could buy ice instead). Or, maybe a small foot-sized ice chest for ice water. Icing your feet every evening during the move may help a whole lot.

So, are you excited? I love the adventure aspects of moving, though the work part can be staggering. It's such fun to see all my prized possessions in new surroundings, though, and to re-arrange them and so on. I think that's a type of fun that is limited mainly to women. Not many men enjoy re-arranging furniture. LOL

And then, exploring a new neighborhood can be exciting too! You never know what interesting shops and restaurants you might discover.

Carole

Re: P.S.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/07/02 at 06:58 (082762)

P.S. - - If you don't have a small dollie, now might be the time to run over to Home Depot and get one. Movers put things in approximately the right place, but sometimes a person changes their mind while unpacking. A dollie will only cost about fifty bucks or so, and will be so useful, especially if your husband is at work while you're trying to get things in order in your new home. Of course I'm a lot older than you, but I use mine every week for something, it seems.

Carole C

nancy s. on 5/07/02 at 08:19 (082771)

i do think hiking boots can have their benefits. just remember, john, that the key word in carole's agreement is *good*. don't go for $6 hiking boots at your local crummy department store that's great for buying ribbon and cheap sunglasses -- like i did!

i don't think i was having a smart day when i did that. it must have been a bad brain day.

nancy

Carmen on 5/07/02 at 08:32 (082774)

Hi Carole!! Well we have about 3 weeks until we know for sure if the buyers are going to qualify to assume our loan....crossing fingers and toes.
I love my new car...love it! We are having a moving company move us and also have friends nad family at the destination in Tenn to help unpack and move things around so my feet won't know the difference! :o)
I will be moving the animals up and we will be spending some overtime in the car (going back and forth for the closing)but other than that....it'll be easy going I think.
We will be renting for a year (ugh) so I am going to do the bare minimum as far as unpacking goes....and we're hopefully going to start building within a year and half....just need to find the land (in the country we hope) and get the architect to write up the plans.
We are very fortunate...Toby has friends that do that, that landscape, build, plumbing, etc etc.

Anyway....thanks for your thoughts....I am definitely looking forward to being up there...this past weekend was fun and I can't wait to be back with my husband.
I miss him. Thanks for your thoughts... I'll keep you posted.

Julie on 5/07/02 at 10:20 (082804)

Don't buy cheap sunglasses, either. Not good for the eyes.

john h on 5/07/02 at 18:40 (082894)

Some of the outdoor and hiking specialty stores have some interesting looking boots of which I know nothing about. The last boots I wore were what we called Brogans in the military or Flying Boots when I was flying. Yes Wendy I did wear Mukaluks in Alaska and Greenland.

john h on 5/07/02 at 18:42 (082896)

Julie all pilots wear cool and expensive sunglasses.

Re: John

Tammie on 5/07/02 at 18:52 (082899)

aviator glasses? I think they are so nice I liked when hubby wore them as they were hm thinking of what I would have said 20 years ago, maybe sophisticated or maybe sexy lol but in any case they were nice I wonder what hubby ever did with his hmmm .

john h on 5/07/02 at 21:47 (082927)

Tammie: If he ever puts them on again you better check out where he is headed.

nancy s. on 5/06/02 at 04:17 (082579)

thanks, carmen, for describing your experience -- i value almost all of the experiences i've read (ahem), and that includes yours.

my mind has gone in the 'wondering about fibro' direction because, like you, all my other tests -- and i've had many in the past few years because of feet and shoulders, including much bloodwork , x rays, and an mri -- have been negative for any other systemic illness. i have not had a trigger points exam, so i do think that should be next on the agenda.

however, in the past two days, a strange thing has happened: the knee pain i've had for months, and the especially bad back & leg pain i've had for several weeks, have vanished. for two whole days and nights. i don't get it! it's now been over 48 hours that i've woken up with no pain (just my usual, a little bit painful feet stiffness, plus shoulders) and stayed that way through the day. maybe the big winds we've had here the last few days blew them away, i don't know.

i have to admit that now i don't feel inspired to call the doctor and pay out of pocket for a visit when i'm not suffering. all my friends here who have been worried about my suffering lately -- i have to say, please don't worry, because it's gone for now. i don't get it. it's as though someone waved a magic wand and took it away in one moment. ok, who did it?

maybe i overdid things in working on my store -- i didn't think so, but maybe i was flying high and didn't keep aware enough of what i was doing.

anyway, i'm feeling much better. if i don't see my doctor this week, i still plan to get trigger-points-tested the next time i see him, for anything.

thanks everyone, for everything.
nancy

nancy s. on 5/06/02 at 04:22 (082580)

why is it that a person can type what looks like a fairly short post in the box scott provides, and then when it appears on the board it comes out as this long-winded ramble? i thought my above post would take up about three inches on the screen.

Carmen on 5/06/02 at 07:10 (082583)

Well I am glad this had gotten better for now....and hopefully it will stay away. Muscular pain is odd...you never know what will happen.
Keep us posted.

Barbara S on 5/06/02 at 07:27 (082586)

Nancy S. Please be carefull on how much activity you start to do. Fibro can move around and people have good days and bad days. When the good days come you feel like you can lift the world,but then might pay for it days later. This has happened to me. So take care hope everything turns out right for you. God Bless. Barbara S.

john h on 5/06/02 at 09:26 (082604)

nacy s: that is because ladies not only type that way but talk that way. touche!!!

Lisa G on 5/06/02 at 09:40 (082606)

hi carmen...i would agree with what you have found in the last 10 months...that often times fibro is not fibro...it is unfortunate that so many people are diagnosed with this condition...when in fact they do not have it...and THINK they should have all the symptoms...so do then have the symptoms...

i'm very pleased to hear that you do not have it! and have found something that has helped with your pain!!

to your continued good health...lisa

ps...what kind of car did you buy?

nancy s. on 5/06/02 at 10:56 (082616)

i'm sure you're right, barbara. many thanks for the reminder! i seem always to need them.
nancy

nancy s. on 5/06/02 at 10:57 (082617)

good one, john, i have to admit. maybe i'll come up with a good whopper in return in another year or two; it would take that long to match yours.
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 5/06/02 at 11:47 (082631)

Nancy, just out of curiousity... are you wearing different shoes?

I know, I know, some of us here including me tend to be a little foot and shoe oriented. But I've noticed my knee pain disappeared altogether with my custom orthotics, and re-appeared with my New Balance 879's along with some sharp hip pain/cramping. And wearing NB 854's for two hours (before returning them) made me feel such acute back pain that it was like someone had stuck a spear in my back.

(None of this is meant to even hint that you don't have fibromyalgia too, which I regard as very real.)

Carole C

Carmen on 5/06/02 at 11:53 (082633)

Thanks Lisa!!! I am feeling reat right now. Besides the usual bout of PMS...ugh.
mean carmen. ;-)
I got a 99 Tahoe, loaded with a v8 engine and all leather interior...I LOVE it. LOVE it LOVE it!
:o)

nancy s. on 5/06/02 at 20:44 (082727)

what an interesting question, carole ... as a matter of fact, for a while there i went from my birks to a hiking boot with a huge toebox i found for six bucks. into these things i parked some birks inserts with way higher arches than i'm used to, and covered them with some other inserts to lessen the 3/4 drop-off point.

this was an effort to keep my feet warmer during a cold spell. i think i wore them more often than not for about three or four weeks. then several weeks ago i went back solely (heh heh) to birks (new ones -- tatami coopers -- i love them).

your question makes me ponder the timing of these things. i believe my back and leg pain started somewhere around the time i stopped wearing the high-arch hikers! i wonder if that was it??? the sudden drop back down, which is kind of how it felt (and it was a relief as far as my feet went). your question made me remember that a friend who needed orthotics a few years ago went to pick them up at her doctor's office, put them into her shoes while there, and threw her back completely out while walking across the parking lot to her car.

there's still the nagging question of why i've had so many tendon problems in wrists, feet, and shoulders. but if my back isn't going to join that club permanently, i'll be a very happy camper. i think you just made my day.

thanks!
nancy

Carole C in NOLA on 5/06/02 at 21:34 (082734)

Great! At least it's something to think about... :) I hope maybe it helps.

Carole C

john h on 5/06/02 at 21:59 (082739)

Nancy your post about boots brings to mind something I have been thinking about the last several weeks and that is why not try wearing hiking boots. Who knows? Maybe tha added support to the ankle,etc might just have an effect on PF.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/07/02 at 06:31 (082760)

John, it is worth a try. Changing shoes now and then is still very helpful for me and it might be for you! I know nothing about hiking boots, but get some good ones if you decide to try them. :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/07/02 at 06:50 (082761)

How wonderful to have a new Tahoe to start off your new life in Tennessee! :) I love all leather interiors like that.

D-day for the move must be coming up pretty soon. I'm glad your orthotics are working because with the stress and hard work of the move your feet will need extra TLC (like good orthotics!)

I've been thinking about your move and the stresses it will bring to your feet. If I were moving, I'd make a foot care kit to take with me in the car. It would include things like my Birkenstocks (or whatever shoes you wear in your leisure time), my shower shoes, anti-inflammatories, lotion, and some ziplocks for ice (in case I didn't have access to a freezer but could buy ice instead). Or, maybe a small foot-sized ice chest for ice water. Icing your feet every evening during the move may help a whole lot.

So, are you excited? I love the adventure aspects of moving, though the work part can be staggering. It's such fun to see all my prized possessions in new surroundings, though, and to re-arrange them and so on. I think that's a type of fun that is limited mainly to women. Not many men enjoy re-arranging furniture. LOL

And then, exploring a new neighborhood can be exciting too! You never know what interesting shops and restaurants you might discover.

Carole

Re: P.S.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/07/02 at 06:58 (082762)

P.S. - - If you don't have a small dollie, now might be the time to run over to Home Depot and get one. Movers put things in approximately the right place, but sometimes a person changes their mind while unpacking. A dollie will only cost about fifty bucks or so, and will be so useful, especially if your husband is at work while you're trying to get things in order in your new home. Of course I'm a lot older than you, but I use mine every week for something, it seems.

Carole C

nancy s. on 5/07/02 at 08:19 (082771)

i do think hiking boots can have their benefits. just remember, john, that the key word in carole's agreement is *good*. don't go for $6 hiking boots at your local crummy department store that's great for buying ribbon and cheap sunglasses -- like i did!

i don't think i was having a smart day when i did that. it must have been a bad brain day.

nancy

Carmen on 5/07/02 at 08:32 (082774)

Hi Carole!! Well we have about 3 weeks until we know for sure if the buyers are going to qualify to assume our loan....crossing fingers and toes.
I love my new car...love it! We are having a moving company move us and also have friends nad family at the destination in Tenn to help unpack and move things around so my feet won't know the difference! :o)
I will be moving the animals up and we will be spending some overtime in the car (going back and forth for the closing)but other than that....it'll be easy going I think.
We will be renting for a year (ugh) so I am going to do the bare minimum as far as unpacking goes....and we're hopefully going to start building within a year and half....just need to find the land (in the country we hope) and get the architect to write up the plans.
We are very fortunate...Toby has friends that do that, that landscape, build, plumbing, etc etc.

Anyway....thanks for your thoughts....I am definitely looking forward to being up there...this past weekend was fun and I can't wait to be back with my husband.
I miss him. Thanks for your thoughts... I'll keep you posted.

Julie on 5/07/02 at 10:20 (082804)

Don't buy cheap sunglasses, either. Not good for the eyes.

john h on 5/07/02 at 18:40 (082894)

Some of the outdoor and hiking specialty stores have some interesting looking boots of which I know nothing about. The last boots I wore were what we called Brogans in the military or Flying Boots when I was flying. Yes Wendy I did wear Mukaluks in Alaska and Greenland.

john h on 5/07/02 at 18:42 (082896)

Julie all pilots wear cool and expensive sunglasses.

Tammie on 5/07/02 at 18:52 (082899)

aviator glasses? I think they are so nice I liked when hubby wore them as they were hm thinking of what I would have said 20 years ago, maybe sophisticated or maybe sexy lol but in any case they were nice I wonder what hubby ever did with his hmmm .

john h on 5/07/02 at 21:47 (082927)

Tammie: If he ever puts them on again you better check out where he is headed.