Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

801's, 804, 805, 854's -New Balance opinion

Posted by Carmen on 5/05/02 at 19:01 (082542)

Boy do they feel good so far! New Balance 801's...so Far have tried the 804, 805, 854 and 801 and they are all great shoes.

Re: 801's, 804, 805, 854's -New Balance opinion

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 19:42 (082546)

What nifty shoes! I just read about them and here's what I'm finding (you probably already know all this, Carmen, but I think it's interesting):

The 805: This is an attractive trail running shoe which Roadrunner says is suited to the runner with 'small- to medium-frame build and medium to low arches' (that might be you but it's not me, drat!). It is listed as a 'supportive cushioning shoe'. It has that SL-1 last which I prefer and has the stability web which should provide some arch support. There were only five feedback comments about it at Roadrunner, but they led me to believe it runs narrow.

The 854: Well, you probably know what I think about this shoe. It's listed as a stability/motion control shoe. I think it's a great shoe but it messes with my gait too much. Probably it's better for those who pronate more than I do. The comfort of the shoe on the foot can't be beat. If only they would make it more neutral, it would be the shoe for me.

The 801: Now this is listed as a supportive cushioning trail running shoe. It has the SL-1 last which I prefer, and the white leather looks nice. Roadrunner doesn't seem to have it, and neither do three other big sites (including the NB Catalog Center). I don't know, what gives?

The 804: This shoe is not listed by NB any more, so I guess they are no longer making it.

It's interesting that the 801 and 805 are both supportive cushioning trail running shoes (for people with mild to moderate pronation) but the 854 is a stability/motion control shoe (for people with moderate to severe pronation) not for trail running, and yet they all work for you.

These look like good shoes but they don't look like they'd be right for me. I'll post on three of the NB shoes I'm interested in this week, in another post.

Carole C

Re: Supportive cushioning with SL-1 last: NB 1040, 991, and 498

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 19:43 (082548)

Speaking of supportive cushioning... :)

I am in no big rush, but I am thinking of trying on three New Balance 'supportive cushioning' shoes with the SL-1 last. These are:

The 1040: This one has the fancy N-ergy system, and Roadrunner says it's for medium to large framed runners with medium to high arches. Sounds like me! Plus Donna mentioned them and she knows her stuff. Feedback at Roadrunner from people that wear them includes some who think they are not well cushioned, and others who think the extra firmness in the heel is great for those with narrow heels (me!) and supinators.

The 991: Roadrunner says this is for the heavy runner (me! if they mean body weight, not me if they mean how much the person runs). Feedback at Roadrunner from people that wear them includes lots of positive letters. Several say their knee pain was alleviated by wearing them.

The 498: This is sort of a mystery because Roadrunner doesn't seem to have it. It looks good and it is about $50 cheaper than the other two.

I have already tried on the 715, which is another supportive cushioning shoe. According to Roadrunner, this shoe is best for small to medium framed runners with medium to low arches, and that's not me.

Carole C

Re: Question about the NB 1121

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 19:55 (082549)

OK, here's New Balance's description of their 1121:

http://www.newbalance.com/productbrowser/product_details.html?g11n.enc=ISO-8859-1&feature=&gender=Women&segment=&product=W1121MC&product_type=shoe&sport=Running

Basically, it has lots of bells and whistles including the TPU post, which is touted as 'providing both pronation and supination control'. It also has the graphite rollbar, which is supposed to 'provide exceptional rearfoot stability'.

My question is this: Do they mean that this shoe would work for either an overpronator or an underpronator, and basically takes whatever your gait is and makes it nice and neutral??? It is listed as a stability/motion control shoe and I thought that implied it was for overpronators.

I'm still looking for one to try on. The men's 1121 is available everywhere and the women's seems to be rarer than hen's teeth, around here.

Carole C

Carmen on 5/06/02 at 07:40 (082589)

Whew! Do you ever do your homework!
I know...I think it's odd too that they all work for me.
These orthoptics have been working out pretty well for me....a lot of my symptoms are gone since starting to wear them.
Hmmm...still don't want to jinx this.
I am starting the ART treatments as soon as I get an appt. I really think these treatments are going to do wonders for my hamstrings, feet and back. I talked to one of the Dr. lady's the other day and she was VERY optimistic after hearing my history.....

Cross your fingers!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/06/02 at 12:13 (082636)

I am so glad to hear that your orthotics are working that well! How long do you wear them each day? How about the nerve tweaking near your big toe, did that stop? Are they completely broken in yet? if they are, I think you have 'a winner' and you will be healing quickly. Maybe when you put them in the NB, that makes the NB do what you need for a shoe to do.

Let us know how the ART goes! :)

I am wearing my Birkenstock Fuldas at work today, because if I wear my NB for too many days in a row, my knees hurt too much. The NB are fine for, say, 2 days out of 3, so I think that is how I will use them. When I can wear them, they can't be beat! I love the cushioning protection, the feeling that I am not just SLAMMING my feet on the sidewalk when I walk.

I am thinking that the supportive cushioning ones have a little overpronation control (even the arch support provided by the stability web might keep me from overpronating, and some are posted to do that) and that this might help my knees. But for now, my NB are satisfactory so I'm not in a giant rush. I want to actually try these supportive cushioning shoes on, and walk around the store with them on, before I purchase them, if that is possible.

I also want to try on the Rockport that Donna was talking about. However, the Rockport is pretty ugly and looks like a bowling shoe. It might be ugly enough to inspire me to find a NB that will work for me, since my shoe situation is liveable right now. Or, it might feel so good that I wouldn't care about how ugly it is. It might look better with matching laces and pretty socks.

Carole C

Carmen on 5/07/02 at 09:54 (082798)

Yes the big toe is still tweking my nerve...irritating to say the least! ugh.
BUT NEW development. the 801's are KILLING me today. OFF with them and back to the store for some new 805's!!!!!!
Geezz...what happened? I don't know but they hurt!!!!
SO. I put on the 805's and 'ahhhhhh' my feet said.
This PF stuff is a bear. BUT you know what? I went for a hike in the woods Sunday AND I wore a pair of CUTE as hell shoes alllll night Saturday night (stood almost the whole time!!!) and they didn't hurt my feet! The kicker? They were sandals!!!!
'Zante' brand. My mother in law had Heelspurs nad PF for THREE years and she has tons of cute comfy shoes so I got to try them all on and wear those for the night. (We had a party to go to I wasn't aware of until last minute...so of course...no shoes to wear.)
Anyway...that's my weekend...I didn't want to post about the hike....shhh...I seem to jinx my self when I do that!
Did you see I am possibly getting ESWT for NOTHING??

Carole C in NOLA on 5/07/02 at 12:31 (082819)

That is fabulous! have you found out yet what machine they will use, and when they can do it? It sure sounds like the way to go, especially for free.

I'm so glad you were able to hike in the woods. It's experiences like that which we learn to miss so much during the more rugged periods with PF. I'm so glad that you were able to do all that without pain! These new orthotics must be really good. Next time you see the person who made them, maybe they can do an adjustment to alleviate that a little.

A change in shoes can make a big difference. Keep those 801's; they might be better some other week. I'm glad the 805's are working so well, though! I really want to try the three models of NB that I mentioned, and the 1121. It's really aggravating to try to find particular models of NB in a store, though. It is ridiculous to have to order shoes online just for the privilege of trying them on, so I'm holding out for a real store to carry the models in which I'm interested.

I never heard of 'Zante' sandals. Sounds like they worked pretty well for you, though. I have a closet full of Birkenstocks, so I may not need any more sandals for years. Yesterday and today I decided that my NB were hurting my knees too much, so I wore my Birkenstock high arch Tatami Fulda's to work both days. Those are my favorite Birkenstocks. Birkenstock sandals look a lot more reasonable on days like today, when it's 94F and sunny outside, than when it's 28F and sleeting (like it was last winter when I had to wear them to work).

Carole C

Re: Carole and Carmen...

Suzanne D on 5/07/02 at 22:13 (082931)

You two should work together as shoe consultants! Carole and Carmen...sounds nice together! :-) You have researched SO MUCH and have so much information to share. Of course Donna does, too, and Julie, and others.

It makes me feel better to read experiences about this shoe feeling better one day, another the next. I would think I was losing my mind if I didn't read about others' experiences along these lines.

My SAS shoes with the Birk inserts feel best on most days, but the other day somehow they didn't feel as good. I thought to myself, 'Oh, no! Not these, too! What am I going to wear next?' I tried on my Arizonas, and somehow they felt o.k. that day. Sort of like they used to feel! So now I try on shoes in the morning before I decide what I am going to wear. Then I take another pair with me, just in case, and know I'll probably end up looking mis-matched before the day is over. Oh, well! :-)

I really wish I understood why we need to change shoes and why they don't keep feeling good after they seem like 'the shoe'...And why one pair makes my arches feel good but my knees hurt, another makes my steps more 'springy'...etc.

I guess I'll just keep them all in the closet and try to find excitement in the adventure of which shoe for which day!

Take care,
Suzanne :-)

RACHAEL T. on 5/07/02 at 23:00 (082932)

I love your thoughts - adventure in the shoe hunt in your closet - daily!! haha
Today was cold, damp, rainy - & the feet are feeling ouchy - first time in a while that my pain level has escalated above a 2. Lots of ice tonight - prop them up high & hope for the best tomorrow & YES! I too - am on the shoe hunt as today, my riding boots (Ariats) w/ custom orth. didn't feel good at all! Tomorrow, hopefully will bring a better foot day!

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 09:25 (083008)

Suzanne~

I feel the exact same way! I run around in jeans and shorts almost all the time b/c of the tennis shoes being the only thing Ican wear right now!
Iwear birks at night ONLY on carpet....just for a break from the orthotics.
this whole thing is just wearing on a persons spirit...isn't it?

Re: Rachel...

Suzanne D on 5/08/02 at 13:59 (083087)

Hope today HAS been a better day for you! I think the cool and rainy weather seems to make the pain worse for some reason. At least for me...But then sometimes there seems to be no reason! It seems that right after I posted that I was improving, my feet have felt a little worse! Or maybe I am just more conscious of it. I don't know. Sometimes I just try to get them off my mind as much as possible. When I've done all I can, then I just get tired of thinking about it all. Have you ever felt like that?

Take care!
Suzanne

Donna SL on 5/08/02 at 16:13 (083104)

The 801 trail shoe is not a good shoe. It's an older model NB just brought back in leather. I don't know if the 802, or 803 were much better. The 801 just fit nicer. Most true runners hated it, and it was known more as a fashion shoe. I showed my pod the 801 several months ago, and he bent it in half very easily, and said it had very little midfoot support. My foot felt wobbly in it, and started to hurt just wearing it at home. There's not much stability in it. The 804 (discontinued), and 805 have better midfoot support, but be careful with the 805 if you have a tendency to over supinate. The lateral sides of the heels are cut in slightly in the 805. You can see this if you place the shoe on a flat surface, and view it from the back. IMO this was a stupid thing to do since trail running requires lateral support for any foot type

Donna

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 18:36 (083122)

Awesome input! Thank you!

RACHAEL T. on 5/08/02 at 22:55 (083156)

Yes, Suzanne - I get tired of 'thinking' of my feet; & I really get tired of 'caretaking' my feet....between touring the closet for 'which shoes today?' - ice packing, warm epsom baths, 'budgeting' my daily amount of work, fun, & just normal walking....UGH! I know you all know what I mean when I describe these facets of our life. But, I as you - must realize we are better off than last year this time. Last May, I was limping & wrapping both feet in order to 'hobble!' So, we've handled it this long, I guess we can handle it a bit longer & we must encourage each other that we are somewhat better! But, do you also worry about the long-term damage we may be dealing with - in regards to the anti-inflamm. pills daily! & yes, I DOOOOO them!!! (-: I used to try to do w/o them or take only a certain amt. - Now, though, I just take them as I want to mentally feel better - & I know that painful days play havoc with my emotions!!! How about you?

Re: Shoe changing

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 12:46 (083224)

I know just what you mean about the 'adventure of which shoe for which day'! LOL

Here's something humorous. If I know that I want to wear a particular shoe on a particular day, I will avoid wearing that shoe in the days preceding that day.

Sometimes I want to wear my NB on a Saturday because I'll be walking through a lot of stores that day, so I make a point of wearing my SAS or Birkenstocks on Wednesday and Thursday. I can wear the NB on Friday and still have them feel good on Saturday, but three days might be pushing it.

If I know that I want to wear my SAS shoes because they will look better at a meeting at work on a Thursday, for example, I'd wear something else to work on Monday and Tuesday.

My guess as to why we need to change shoes, is that our feet are still not completely healed so they need TLC. The different shoes may meet different needs, and none of them is totally perfect. My NB are wonderfully cushioned but my knees hurt if I wear them too much. My Birkenstocks have those great orthotics and arch support, but they are not well cushioned. And so on and so on. So, by changing shoes we are sort of averaging their qualities. Maybe? LOL who knows!

Carole C

Suzanne D on 5/10/02 at 20:26 (083485)

I certainly can relate to what you are saying, Rachel! Yes, I am thankful to be better than last year. Actually, it's almost a year now since my PF began. You're right: encouraging one another does help.

I had been not taking the anti-inflammatory medicine in the last couple of months since I have really been seeing improvement. Then last week the SAS shoes and Birk inserts didn't feel quite so good, and it seemed I needed a little change, and I wore my Arizonas a couple of days - all day. I don't know if that was what caused it or not, but I have gone downhill a little since then. I have begun taking Naproxin again.

Today my class had a field trip to a museum and historical site, and of course that meant walking and standing. I wore my SAS shoes and did fairly well, but my feet hurt, and I have been icing tonight.

And, yes, painful days play havoc with my emotions, too. I think it's inevitable that that happens. It is what we do with the negative feelings that counts, I think. If we can vent to those who understand, if we keep trying to learn and practice healing things for our feet and keep up hope, then we can get through the negative times.

Take care! I hope you have a good weekend!

Suzanne D on 5/10/02 at 20:33 (083486)

You sound like quite an organized person, Carole! Good thinking!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/10/02 at 20:53 (083488)

Did the museum have terrazo or marble floors, possibly? I think a museum sounds very difficult to handle. All that standing, and the hard floors, and in your case all the children to look after.... yikes!

Suzanne, have you ever tried New Balance? I can't remember if you ever did. My NB have a lot more cushioning than my SAS shoes and I like to wear them if I'm shopping in big stores with hard floors and so on.

Carole C

RACHAEL T. on 5/10/02 at 22:19 (083494)

I am sorry that the school field trip gave your feet the present soreness. I hope that your additional meds (nap.) does the trick....& yes, do the ice. I too, feel like as long as I do things to help myself, I am better mentally. Thus, I ice, stretch, & yes - shop for more Birkenstocks (like the ones that arrived today via UPS)! (-: Since you are a teacher, you have the weekend off - use the weekend to TLC the feet! Take care - as we all try to do!!!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 19:42 (082546)

What nifty shoes! I just read about them and here's what I'm finding (you probably already know all this, Carmen, but I think it's interesting):

The 805: This is an attractive trail running shoe which Roadrunner says is suited to the runner with 'small- to medium-frame build and medium to low arches' (that might be you but it's not me, drat!). It is listed as a 'supportive cushioning shoe'. It has that SL-1 last which I prefer and has the stability web which should provide some arch support. There were only five feedback comments about it at Roadrunner, but they led me to believe it runs narrow.

The 854: Well, you probably know what I think about this shoe. It's listed as a stability/motion control shoe. I think it's a great shoe but it messes with my gait too much. Probably it's better for those who pronate more than I do. The comfort of the shoe on the foot can't be beat. If only they would make it more neutral, it would be the shoe for me.

The 801: Now this is listed as a supportive cushioning trail running shoe. It has the SL-1 last which I prefer, and the white leather looks nice. Roadrunner doesn't seem to have it, and neither do three other big sites (including the NB Catalog Center). I don't know, what gives?

The 804: This shoe is not listed by NB any more, so I guess they are no longer making it.

It's interesting that the 801 and 805 are both supportive cushioning trail running shoes (for people with mild to moderate pronation) but the 854 is a stability/motion control shoe (for people with moderate to severe pronation) not for trail running, and yet they all work for you.

These look like good shoes but they don't look like they'd be right for me. I'll post on three of the NB shoes I'm interested in this week, in another post.

Carole C

Re: Supportive cushioning with SL-1 last: NB 1040, 991, and 498

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 19:43 (082548)

Speaking of supportive cushioning... :)

I am in no big rush, but I am thinking of trying on three New Balance 'supportive cushioning' shoes with the SL-1 last. These are:

The 1040: This one has the fancy N-ergy system, and Roadrunner says it's for medium to large framed runners with medium to high arches. Sounds like me! Plus Donna mentioned them and she knows her stuff. Feedback at Roadrunner from people that wear them includes some who think they are not well cushioned, and others who think the extra firmness in the heel is great for those with narrow heels (me!) and supinators.

The 991: Roadrunner says this is for the heavy runner (me! if they mean body weight, not me if they mean how much the person runs). Feedback at Roadrunner from people that wear them includes lots of positive letters. Several say their knee pain was alleviated by wearing them.

The 498: This is sort of a mystery because Roadrunner doesn't seem to have it. It looks good and it is about $50 cheaper than the other two.

I have already tried on the 715, which is another supportive cushioning shoe. According to Roadrunner, this shoe is best for small to medium framed runners with medium to low arches, and that's not me.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/05/02 at 19:55 (082549)

OK, here's New Balance's description of their 1121:

http://www.newbalance.com/productbrowser/product_details.html?g11n.enc=ISO-8859-1&feature=&gender=Women&segment=&product=W1121MC&product_type=shoe&sport=Running

Basically, it has lots of bells and whistles including the TPU post, which is touted as 'providing both pronation and supination control'. It also has the graphite rollbar, which is supposed to 'provide exceptional rearfoot stability'.

My question is this: Do they mean that this shoe would work for either an overpronator or an underpronator, and basically takes whatever your gait is and makes it nice and neutral??? It is listed as a stability/motion control shoe and I thought that implied it was for overpronators.

I'm still looking for one to try on. The men's 1121 is available everywhere and the women's seems to be rarer than hen's teeth, around here.

Carole C

Carmen on 5/06/02 at 07:40 (082589)

Whew! Do you ever do your homework!
I know...I think it's odd too that they all work for me.
These orthoptics have been working out pretty well for me....a lot of my symptoms are gone since starting to wear them.
Hmmm...still don't want to jinx this.
I am starting the ART treatments as soon as I get an appt. I really think these treatments are going to do wonders for my hamstrings, feet and back. I talked to one of the Dr. lady's the other day and she was VERY optimistic after hearing my history.....

Cross your fingers!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/06/02 at 12:13 (082636)

I am so glad to hear that your orthotics are working that well! How long do you wear them each day? How about the nerve tweaking near your big toe, did that stop? Are they completely broken in yet? if they are, I think you have 'a winner' and you will be healing quickly. Maybe when you put them in the NB, that makes the NB do what you need for a shoe to do.

Let us know how the ART goes! :)

I am wearing my Birkenstock Fuldas at work today, because if I wear my NB for too many days in a row, my knees hurt too much. The NB are fine for, say, 2 days out of 3, so I think that is how I will use them. When I can wear them, they can't be beat! I love the cushioning protection, the feeling that I am not just SLAMMING my feet on the sidewalk when I walk.

I am thinking that the supportive cushioning ones have a little overpronation control (even the arch support provided by the stability web might keep me from overpronating, and some are posted to do that) and that this might help my knees. But for now, my NB are satisfactory so I'm not in a giant rush. I want to actually try these supportive cushioning shoes on, and walk around the store with them on, before I purchase them, if that is possible.

I also want to try on the Rockport that Donna was talking about. However, the Rockport is pretty ugly and looks like a bowling shoe. It might be ugly enough to inspire me to find a NB that will work for me, since my shoe situation is liveable right now. Or, it might feel so good that I wouldn't care about how ugly it is. It might look better with matching laces and pretty socks.

Carole C

Carmen on 5/07/02 at 09:54 (082798)

Yes the big toe is still tweking my nerve...irritating to say the least! ugh.
BUT NEW development. the 801's are KILLING me today. OFF with them and back to the store for some new 805's!!!!!!
Geezz...what happened? I don't know but they hurt!!!!
SO. I put on the 805's and 'ahhhhhh' my feet said.
This PF stuff is a bear. BUT you know what? I went for a hike in the woods Sunday AND I wore a pair of CUTE as hell shoes alllll night Saturday night (stood almost the whole time!!!) and they didn't hurt my feet! The kicker? They were sandals!!!!
'Zante' brand. My mother in law had Heelspurs nad PF for THREE years and she has tons of cute comfy shoes so I got to try them all on and wear those for the night. (We had a party to go to I wasn't aware of until last minute...so of course...no shoes to wear.)
Anyway...that's my weekend...I didn't want to post about the hike....shhh...I seem to jinx my self when I do that!
Did you see I am possibly getting ESWT for NOTHING??

Carole C in NOLA on 5/07/02 at 12:31 (082819)

That is fabulous! have you found out yet what machine they will use, and when they can do it? It sure sounds like the way to go, especially for free.

I'm so glad you were able to hike in the woods. It's experiences like that which we learn to miss so much during the more rugged periods with PF. I'm so glad that you were able to do all that without pain! These new orthotics must be really good. Next time you see the person who made them, maybe they can do an adjustment to alleviate that a little.

A change in shoes can make a big difference. Keep those 801's; they might be better some other week. I'm glad the 805's are working so well, though! I really want to try the three models of NB that I mentioned, and the 1121. It's really aggravating to try to find particular models of NB in a store, though. It is ridiculous to have to order shoes online just for the privilege of trying them on, so I'm holding out for a real store to carry the models in which I'm interested.

I never heard of 'Zante' sandals. Sounds like they worked pretty well for you, though. I have a closet full of Birkenstocks, so I may not need any more sandals for years. Yesterday and today I decided that my NB were hurting my knees too much, so I wore my Birkenstock high arch Tatami Fulda's to work both days. Those are my favorite Birkenstocks. Birkenstock sandals look a lot more reasonable on days like today, when it's 94F and sunny outside, than when it's 28F and sleeting (like it was last winter when I had to wear them to work).

Carole C

Suzanne D on 5/07/02 at 22:13 (082931)

You two should work together as shoe consultants! Carole and Carmen...sounds nice together! :-) You have researched SO MUCH and have so much information to share. Of course Donna does, too, and Julie, and others.

It makes me feel better to read experiences about this shoe feeling better one day, another the next. I would think I was losing my mind if I didn't read about others' experiences along these lines.

My SAS shoes with the Birk inserts feel best on most days, but the other day somehow they didn't feel as good. I thought to myself, 'Oh, no! Not these, too! What am I going to wear next?' I tried on my Arizonas, and somehow they felt o.k. that day. Sort of like they used to feel! So now I try on shoes in the morning before I decide what I am going to wear. Then I take another pair with me, just in case, and know I'll probably end up looking mis-matched before the day is over. Oh, well! :-)

I really wish I understood why we need to change shoes and why they don't keep feeling good after they seem like 'the shoe'...And why one pair makes my arches feel good but my knees hurt, another makes my steps more 'springy'...etc.

I guess I'll just keep them all in the closet and try to find excitement in the adventure of which shoe for which day!

Take care,

RACHAEL T. on 5/07/02 at 23:00 (082932)

I love your thoughts - adventure in the shoe hunt in your closet - daily!! haha
Today was cold, damp, rainy - & the feet are feeling ouchy - first time in a while that my pain level has escalated above a 2. Lots of ice tonight - prop them up high & hope for the best tomorrow & YES! I too - am on the shoe hunt as today, my riding boots (Ariats) w/ custom orth. didn't feel good at all! Tomorrow, hopefully will bring a better foot day!

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 09:25 (083008)

Suzanne~

I feel the exact same way! I run around in jeans and shorts almost all the time b/c of the tennis shoes being the only thing Ican wear right now!
Iwear birks at night ONLY on carpet....just for a break from the orthotics.
this whole thing is just wearing on a persons spirit...isn't it?

Suzanne D on 5/08/02 at 13:59 (083087)

Hope today HAS been a better day for you! I think the cool and rainy weather seems to make the pain worse for some reason. At least for me...But then sometimes there seems to be no reason! It seems that right after I posted that I was improving, my feet have felt a little worse! Or maybe I am just more conscious of it. I don't know. Sometimes I just try to get them off my mind as much as possible. When I've done all I can, then I just get tired of thinking about it all. Have you ever felt like that?

Take care!
Suzanne

Donna SL on 5/08/02 at 16:13 (083104)

The 801 trail shoe is not a good shoe. It's an older model NB just brought back in leather. I don't know if the 802, or 803 were much better. The 801 just fit nicer. Most true runners hated it, and it was known more as a fashion shoe. I showed my pod the 801 several months ago, and he bent it in half very easily, and said it had very little midfoot support. My foot felt wobbly in it, and started to hurt just wearing it at home. There's not much stability in it. The 804 (discontinued), and 805 have better midfoot support, but be careful with the 805 if you have a tendency to over supinate. The lateral sides of the heels are cut in slightly in the 805. You can see this if you place the shoe on a flat surface, and view it from the back. IMO this was a stupid thing to do since trail running requires lateral support for any foot type

Donna

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 18:36 (083122)

Awesome input! Thank you!

RACHAEL T. on 5/08/02 at 22:55 (083156)

Yes, Suzanne - I get tired of 'thinking' of my feet; & I really get tired of 'caretaking' my feet....between touring the closet for 'which shoes today?' - ice packing, warm epsom baths, 'budgeting' my daily amount of work, fun, & just normal walking....UGH! I know you all know what I mean when I describe these facets of our life. But, I as you - must realize we are better off than last year this time. Last May, I was limping & wrapping both feet in order to 'hobble!' So, we've handled it this long, I guess we can handle it a bit longer & we must encourage each other that we are somewhat better! But, do you also worry about the long-term damage we may be dealing with - in regards to the anti-inflamm. pills daily! & yes, I DOOOOO them!!! (-: I used to try to do w/o them or take only a certain amt. - Now, though, I just take them as I want to mentally feel better - & I know that painful days play havoc with my emotions!!! How about you?

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 12:46 (083224)

I know just what you mean about the 'adventure of which shoe for which day'! LOL

Here's something humorous. If I know that I want to wear a particular shoe on a particular day, I will avoid wearing that shoe in the days preceding that day.

Sometimes I want to wear my NB on a Saturday because I'll be walking through a lot of stores that day, so I make a point of wearing my SAS or Birkenstocks on Wednesday and Thursday. I can wear the NB on Friday and still have them feel good on Saturday, but three days might be pushing it.

If I know that I want to wear my SAS shoes because they will look better at a meeting at work on a Thursday, for example, I'd wear something else to work on Monday and Tuesday.

My guess as to why we need to change shoes, is that our feet are still not completely healed so they need TLC. The different shoes may meet different needs, and none of them is totally perfect. My NB are wonderfully cushioned but my knees hurt if I wear them too much. My Birkenstocks have those great orthotics and arch support, but they are not well cushioned. And so on and so on. So, by changing shoes we are sort of averaging their qualities. Maybe? LOL who knows!

Carole C

Suzanne D on 5/10/02 at 20:26 (083485)

I certainly can relate to what you are saying, Rachel! Yes, I am thankful to be better than last year. Actually, it's almost a year now since my PF began. You're right: encouraging one another does help.

I had been not taking the anti-inflammatory medicine in the last couple of months since I have really been seeing improvement. Then last week the SAS shoes and Birk inserts didn't feel quite so good, and it seemed I needed a little change, and I wore my Arizonas a couple of days - all day. I don't know if that was what caused it or not, but I have gone downhill a little since then. I have begun taking Naproxin again.

Today my class had a field trip to a museum and historical site, and of course that meant walking and standing. I wore my SAS shoes and did fairly well, but my feet hurt, and I have been icing tonight.

And, yes, painful days play havoc with my emotions, too. I think it's inevitable that that happens. It is what we do with the negative feelings that counts, I think. If we can vent to those who understand, if we keep trying to learn and practice healing things for our feet and keep up hope, then we can get through the negative times.

Take care! I hope you have a good weekend!

Suzanne D on 5/10/02 at 20:33 (083486)

You sound like quite an organized person, Carole! Good thinking!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/10/02 at 20:53 (083488)

Did the museum have terrazo or marble floors, possibly? I think a museum sounds very difficult to handle. All that standing, and the hard floors, and in your case all the children to look after.... yikes!

Suzanne, have you ever tried New Balance? I can't remember if you ever did. My NB have a lot more cushioning than my SAS shoes and I like to wear them if I'm shopping in big stores with hard floors and so on.

Carole C

RACHAEL T. on 5/10/02 at 22:19 (083494)

I am sorry that the school field trip gave your feet the present soreness. I hope that your additional meds (nap.) does the trick....& yes, do the ice. I too, feel like as long as I do things to help myself, I am better mentally. Thus, I ice, stretch, & yes - shop for more Birkenstocks (like the ones that arrived today via UPS)! (-: Since you are a teacher, you have the weekend off - use the weekend to TLC the feet! Take care - as we all try to do!!!