Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

3rd opinion

Posted by Lisa G on 5/05/02 at 20:38 (082558)

hi everyone...i started posting here on tuesday...and through a bunch of disjointed posts...i think you may be getting to know me...i'm not sure...my messages may be too 'all over the place'

on monday...i had a second opinion about having surg for my PF...the second podiatrist agreed with the first...that surg is really the only option left open to me...after doing all kinds of phys therapy...orthotics, etc...

on friday...i had a 3rd opinion...and he said i don't have PF...that my feet pain is all due to the fibro and 'whatever else' is going on with me health wise...my feet pain will not get better til everything else is resolved...and until then i need to have HIS orthotics...uh huh...ok...right......i'm sure every person who walks into his office needs HIS orthotics...whether they have foot pain or not...

i have a hard time believing that...i know my body...and i really think that my feet pain is PF...that it is a seperate issue than my fibro...i do think that the fibro complicates the PF...

so now i think i'll go back to dr number 2...ask him some of the questions that i have thought of since coming here and reading what you all and the doctors have said...and see what he says...if he gives me satisfactory answers...i'll make my decision based on that...

thanks for all your support...and 'listening' to me ramble...it is nice to be able to get all my thoughts out...and get some feedback...

hope everyone is well...take care

lisa

Re: 3rd opinion

Crystal S on 5/06/02 at 01:50 (082572)

Hi Lisa,
I have been keeping up with your posts and I completely understand that you have a very tough decision to make. I had PF surgery (open procedure) and a heel spur removal in Oct of 2001 at age 29. Well that was a complete failure. The reason it was a failure is because I had a really bad doctor which I did not know at the time. He did not have me non weight bearing and did not put me in a cam walker or cast or anything. Well because of this I had an enormous amount of scar tissue develop. I kept hurting after the surgery and did not get better so I changed docs. By this time I figured out that he is a quack. Well my new docs tried everything. Night splint, injection,physical therapy and finally suggested another surgery as a last resort to remove the scar tissue and recut the fascia which he suspected had grown back together with scar tissue. I just had this surgery on April 10,2002. I am now almost 4 weeks post op and I am totally non weight bearing and in a wheel chair for another 2-3 weeks. So far I do consider this surgery to be a complete success but of course I haven't walked on it except to hop to the bathroom. My foot feels different now though. Before it hurt to just sit still. It didn't ever NOT hurt and now I have no pain except the post op pain and I have 2 huge incisions and a total of 23 stitches. The point to this post to you is to tell you that I have been on both sides and I completely understand this hard decision that you have. I have been one of those that says no don't do it and I am now one of those saying hey this has worked pretty well.I know you have gotten alot of advice. Some say do it and some say don't. It has to be what is right for you though. I will say this though. If you do have the surgery then make sure that you know your docs post op wishes. Ask about being off of your foot and for how long. Make sure that you trust your doc and that he is just not some money hungry quack that wants to rush you to surgery to make a buck. I think being non weight wearing for at least 2-4 weeks is absolutely necessary for proper healing. My doctor explained it to me by saying everytime that you put your foot down on the floor and put weight on it then you are pulling that incision open and your bodies natural response is to fix itself by forming scar tissue. So being off of your foot is so extremely important. Then another thing to think about is when you are trying to walk on a very sore hurt foot you are limping and walking all wrong so it will eventually cause tendonitis,TTS and a whole new set of problems. So please be very careful after. Being off of your feet for a few weeks is nothing compared to months of pain and another surgery. I do indeed congratulate you on educating yourself and being informed of all of your options before making any decision. I unfortuantely did not have that luxury. I did not know heelspurs.com existed and I had never heard of PF and heel spurs. I went to the podiatrist hoping for an easy fix and ended up at the wrong office. I was not offered night splints,physical therapy, medications or anything except 1 injection in each foot. After the injections didn't work then I was told that surgery was the only option left for me. I now know that was not even remotely true. So at least you know what you are getting yourself in to. I wish you the best and if you would like to email me please feel free anytime.My email is (email removed). I hope I have helped any at all. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions that you can think of.

Take Care,
Crystal

lisa k on 5/06/02 at 13:24 (082652)

trust your gut and 'wise woman within' ,have a great day,lisa k

Crystal S on 5/06/02 at 01:50 (082572)

Hi Lisa,
I have been keeping up with your posts and I completely understand that you have a very tough decision to make. I had PF surgery (open procedure) and a heel spur removal in Oct of 2001 at age 29. Well that was a complete failure. The reason it was a failure is because I had a really bad doctor which I did not know at the time. He did not have me non weight bearing and did not put me in a cam walker or cast or anything. Well because of this I had an enormous amount of scar tissue develop. I kept hurting after the surgery and did not get better so I changed docs. By this time I figured out that he is a quack. Well my new docs tried everything. Night splint, injection,physical therapy and finally suggested another surgery as a last resort to remove the scar tissue and recut the fascia which he suspected had grown back together with scar tissue. I just had this surgery on April 10,2002. I am now almost 4 weeks post op and I am totally non weight bearing and in a wheel chair for another 2-3 weeks. So far I do consider this surgery to be a complete success but of course I haven't walked on it except to hop to the bathroom. My foot feels different now though. Before it hurt to just sit still. It didn't ever NOT hurt and now I have no pain except the post op pain and I have 2 huge incisions and a total of 23 stitches. The point to this post to you is to tell you that I have been on both sides and I completely understand this hard decision that you have. I have been one of those that says no don't do it and I am now one of those saying hey this has worked pretty well.I know you have gotten alot of advice. Some say do it and some say don't. It has to be what is right for you though. I will say this though. If you do have the surgery then make sure that you know your docs post op wishes. Ask about being off of your foot and for how long. Make sure that you trust your doc and that he is just not some money hungry quack that wants to rush you to surgery to make a buck. I think being non weight wearing for at least 2-4 weeks is absolutely necessary for proper healing. My doctor explained it to me by saying everytime that you put your foot down on the floor and put weight on it then you are pulling that incision open and your bodies natural response is to fix itself by forming scar tissue. So being off of your foot is so extremely important. Then another thing to think about is when you are trying to walk on a very sore hurt foot you are limping and walking all wrong so it will eventually cause tendonitis,TTS and a whole new set of problems. So please be very careful after. Being off of your feet for a few weeks is nothing compared to months of pain and another surgery. I do indeed congratulate you on educating yourself and being informed of all of your options before making any decision. I unfortuantely did not have that luxury. I did not know heelspurs.com existed and I had never heard of PF and heel spurs. I went to the podiatrist hoping for an easy fix and ended up at the wrong office. I was not offered night splints,physical therapy, medications or anything except 1 injection in each foot. After the injections didn't work then I was told that surgery was the only option left for me. I now know that was not even remotely true. So at least you know what you are getting yourself in to. I wish you the best and if you would like to email me please feel free anytime.My email is (email removed). I hope I have helped any at all. Please don't hesitate to ask any questions that you can think of.

Take Care,
Crystal

lisa k on 5/06/02 at 13:24 (082652)

trust your gut and 'wise woman within' ,have a great day,lisa k