Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Nancy S

Posted by wendyn on 5/06/02 at 07:37 (082588)

Hi Nancy...since you asked about snow in the email:

This is from this morning.

==DISCUSSION==
A STRONG SPRING STORM CONTINUES TO PRODUCE HEAVY SNOW ALONG THE
ALBERTA FOOTHILLS AS WELL AS IN THE CALGARY AND IN PARTS OF THE
DRUMHELLER REGION. IT IS DIFFICULT TO SAY HOW MUCH SNOW HAS ALREADY
FALLEN AS IT IS HEAVY AND WET AND LIKELY MELTED ON CONTACT WITH THE
GROUND, AT LEAST AT FIRST, BUT INDICATIONS ARE THAT AS MUCH AS 15
CENTIMETRES HAD FALLEN BY EARLY MORNING. AS THE DAY PROGRESSES, THE
HEAVY SNOW AREA WILL DRIFT SOUTHWARD INTO THE LETHBRIDGE, MEDICINE
HAT AND SOUTHERN CROWSNEST REGIONS. WEATHER RADAR SHOWS WEAKENING
TAKING PLACE FARTHER NORTH IN THE ROCKY MOUNTAIN HOUSE REGION, SO THE
WARNING HAS ENDED THERE. CONDITIONS IN EXTREME SOUTHERN ALBERTA ARE
NOT EXPECTED TO IMPROVE UNTIL TUESDAY, BUT THEY WILL START TO IMPROVE
FARTHER NORTH TODAY.

CONDITIONS WILL BEGIN TO IMPROVE LATE MONDAY.

PLEASE REFER TO THE LATEST PUBLIC FORECASTS FOR FURTHER DETAILS.

**I am sitting and sipping my coffee trying to decide if I can even get into work today. We didn't have much snow for the wedding but it started up yesterday and hasn't let up. I can hardly see my van outside.

If I hadn't just taken a day off on Friday I'd definetly say forget it...guess I'll go watch the news to see if they're shutting schools. Maybe I will get to spend a day in my jammies visiting heelspurs.com?

Re: Wendy

Carole C in NOLA on 5/06/02 at 08:05 (082592)

Wow, that's amazing! What a crummy weather forecast, and what a lot of snow.

Even more amazing is that you are thinking of taking the day off, despite being so used to snow. I guess this is a lot even for a Canadian. I am envious of you with your day off for snow.

Oh well, at least we get Mardi Gras off even if we never have snow days.

Carole C

Re: To Nancy S

john h on 5/06/02 at 09:35 (082605)

Sgt Preston of the Yukon would have no problem with this forcast.

nancy s. on 5/06/02 at 11:38 (082628)

that's a lovely report, wendy. you poor dear! geez what weather luck you've had this year. i hope you got to skip work and sit around in your pj's. i'm sitting around and taking it easy today myself. that's why i've posted about ten times more than usual today -- so far. the day is young.
nancy

wendyn on 5/06/02 at 13:08 (082643)

No such luck. They asked everyone to stay off the roads..but they left the schools open.

Go figure.

Took me an hour to get the 16 year old to school, then he called me an hour after that and told me he's going home because there's hardly anyone there.

Kids.

So I made it in in one piece, but I'm not sure how I'm going to get home!! Can't go to the gym either, so I'm stuck inside for lunch. Oh well, it will give me a chance to catch up on the board.

My aunt is in from Boston for the wedding, I think she's had it with the weather. She was smart though - she brought winter boots!

Re: Carole

wendyn on 5/06/02 at 13:17 (082648)

Thanks Carole - but I never did get the day off. Actually, I only recall 1 official snow day in the last 20 years where they shut the schools in the city. Today all of the rural schools are closed, and attendance will be way down in the city...but I am at work, and one of my kids is still at school.

I think we are supposed to have 50 cm by supper - not sure how much that is in inches. Too much.

Re: to Wendy...

Suzanne D on 5/06/02 at 15:31 (082676)

My goodness, Wendy! I just cannot imagine all the snow that you have had throughout the past months! That had to be frustrating - taking your son to school only to find out an hour later that he was ready to go home.

School here is usually dismissed whenever the roads are covered (although that isn't very often) due to hilly, curvy roads and not much snow removal equipment. If yours closed like ours do, the children would never complete school, and teachers like me would have to find new jobsl! :-)

I really do hope spring arrives for you shortly! Be careful on those roads. I'm thinking of you!

(And I hope this doesn't double-post like the last one I sent did!)

Suzanne :-)

Re: That's 19 1/2 inches!!!!

Julie on 5/06/02 at 17:08 (082693)

wendyn on 5/06/02 at 20:28 (082723)

Thanks Suzanne. The snow has stopped for now. A lot of is has melted (maybe half) so now it's very WET!

Re: Wendy

Carole C in NOLA on 5/06/02 at 08:05 (082592)

Wow, that's amazing! What a crummy weather forecast, and what a lot of snow.

Even more amazing is that you are thinking of taking the day off, despite being so used to snow. I guess this is a lot even for a Canadian. I am envious of you with your day off for snow.

Oh well, at least we get Mardi Gras off even if we never have snow days.

Carole C

john h on 5/06/02 at 09:35 (082605)

Sgt Preston of the Yukon would have no problem with this forcast.

nancy s. on 5/06/02 at 11:38 (082628)

that's a lovely report, wendy. you poor dear! geez what weather luck you've had this year. i hope you got to skip work and sit around in your pj's. i'm sitting around and taking it easy today myself. that's why i've posted about ten times more than usual today -- so far. the day is young.
nancy

wendyn on 5/06/02 at 13:08 (082643)

No such luck. They asked everyone to stay off the roads..but they left the schools open.

Go figure.

Took me an hour to get the 16 year old to school, then he called me an hour after that and told me he's going home because there's hardly anyone there.

Kids.

So I made it in in one piece, but I'm not sure how I'm going to get home!! Can't go to the gym either, so I'm stuck inside for lunch. Oh well, it will give me a chance to catch up on the board.

My aunt is in from Boston for the wedding, I think she's had it with the weather. She was smart though - she brought winter boots!

Re: Carole

wendyn on 5/06/02 at 13:17 (082648)

Thanks Carole - but I never did get the day off. Actually, I only recall 1 official snow day in the last 20 years where they shut the schools in the city. Today all of the rural schools are closed, and attendance will be way down in the city...but I am at work, and one of my kids is still at school.

I think we are supposed to have 50 cm by supper - not sure how much that is in inches. Too much.

Suzanne D on 5/06/02 at 15:31 (082676)

My goodness, Wendy! I just cannot imagine all the snow that you have had throughout the past months! That had to be frustrating - taking your son to school only to find out an hour later that he was ready to go home.

School here is usually dismissed whenever the roads are covered (although that isn't very often) due to hilly, curvy roads and not much snow removal equipment. If yours closed like ours do, the children would never complete school, and teachers like me would have to find new jobsl! :-)

I really do hope spring arrives for you shortly! Be careful on those roads. I'm thinking of you!

(And I hope this doesn't double-post like the last one I sent did!)

Suzanne :-)

Re: That's 19 1/2 inches!!!!

Julie on 5/06/02 at 17:08 (082693)

wendyn on 5/06/02 at 20:28 (082723)

Thanks Suzanne. The snow has stopped for now. A lot of is has melted (maybe half) so now it's very WET!