Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

3rd opinion...(also posted on social/support)

Posted by Lisa G on 5/06/02 at 07:50 (082590)

hi everyone...i started posting here on tuesday...and through a bunch of disjointed posts...i think you may be getting to know me...i'm not sure...my messages may be too 'all over the place'

on monday...i had a second opinion about having surg for my PF...the second podiatrist agreed with the first...that surg is really the only option left open to me...after doing all kinds of phys therapy...orthotics, etc...

on friday...i had a 3rd opinion...and he said i don't have PF...that my feet pain is all due to the fibro and 'whatever else' is going on with me health wise...my feet pain will not get better til everything else is resolved...and until then i need to have HIS orthotics...uh huh...ok...right......i'm sure every person who walks into his office needs HIS orthotics...whether they have foot pain or not...

i have a hard time believing that...i know my body...and i really think that my feet pain is PF...that it is a seperate issue than my fibro...i do think that the fibro complicates the PF...

so now i think i'll go back to dr number 2...ask him some of the questions that i have thought of since coming here and reading what you all and the doctors have said...and see what he says...if he gives me satisfactory answers...i'll make my decision based on that...

my questions are in regards to:
1. night splints...which i tried once...but am willing to try again...

2. injections...pod #1 gave me one set...he didn't do a set of 3...so should i have a set of 3 done...

3. scar tissue...my rheumatologist is very concerned about scar tissue because of the fibro and lupus...

4. EPF vs open procedure...

5. my tight achilles tendons and calves...

any other advice you have would be greatly appreciated...

lisa

Re: 3rd opinion...(also posted on social/support)

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/06/02 at 18:18 (082704)

Be very cautious about a PF release if you have fibromyalgia and lupus.
I prefer the minimal incison approach to the open plantar fascial release but prefer the open release to EPF.

If you know for a fact that you have a tight gastreosoleus achilles complex, then the night splints can be very helpful and should try them again.
Ed

Re: risks of surg

Lisa G on 5/07/02 at 21:12 (082921)

what are the risks of fascia release in regards to the fibro and lupus?

lisa

Re: 3rd opinion...(also posted on social/support)

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/06/02 at 18:18 (082704)

Be very cautious about a PF release if you have fibromyalgia and lupus.
I prefer the minimal incison approach to the open plantar fascial release but prefer the open release to EPF.

If you know for a fact that you have a tight gastreosoleus achilles complex, then the night splints can be very helpful and should try them again.
Ed

Re: risks of surg

Lisa G on 5/07/02 at 21:12 (082921)

what are the risks of fascia release in regards to the fibro and lupus?

lisa