Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

NEARLY FREE ESWT

Posted by Carmen on 5/06/02 at 15:47 (082679)

I have the opportunity to have ESWT FREE besides the doctors fees...the company doing it for my Pod ofice is doing free trials....the only fees I have are the 20% not covered by my insurance.
Whoopie!!!!
Pretty excited.. Whole thing would cost me about $450.00 for both feet.

Re: NEARLY FREE ESWT

David G. on 5/06/02 at 15:52 (082681)

Where did you have this done? Which machine? Please reply to (email removed).

john h on 5/06/02 at 16:38 (082687)

Great Carmen! Go for it! What machine will it be done with?

Carmen on 5/06/02 at 16:58 (082690)

sent.

Carmen on 5/06/02 at 16:58 (082691)

I will find out tomorrow....thank you!!! :o)

Sharon W on 5/06/02 at 19:50 (082717)

Carmen,

WOW! Congratulations! I sure hope you turn out to be one of the many success stories!

-- Sharon

LynK on 5/07/02 at 10:16 (082802)

Where is this doctor?? Where can I have ESWT for $450? I was quoted $2600 per foot in Rhode Island!!!

JudyS on 5/07/02 at 10:56 (082809)

Hot diggity Carmen! Go for it!

BrianG on 5/07/02 at 18:10 (082883)

Hi Carmen,

When you get more inormation, can you fill us in. Are these FDA trials? Hopefully another machine will soon be approved. There are so few machines out there, not everyone will have the chance to be treated. I hope this is whats happening. Good luck

BrianG

Suzanne D on 5/07/02 at 22:02 (082929)

How wonderful, Carmen! And how fitting that you get to be in the trials. You have researched SO much and shared your knowledge with everyone...If anyone deserves to have a chance in these trials, it is YOU! :-)

I don't faithfully read the ESWT board (not that I'm not interested, but I find my time limited and thus skip it sometimes), but I looked up your post after reading a mention of your nearly free ESWT in another message.

I will keep coming back here to learn of your experience!

Suzanne :-)

Re: ALL

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 07:50 (082994)

Thanks everyone!!! I am calling her tomorrow to set it up. I will ask questions about the machine then. I DO know that they currently use another machine and it is a 'mobile' machine...which means most insurance won't cover it because it's considered an out of network item (b/c it's mobile) so all the time I was waiting to be approved I found out I WAS approved by getting the codes and calling the insurance co. TWICE and lo and behold.....the day Iwas going to schedule the treatment the lady called and said I would have to pay out of network charges for that machine. ALL their doctors charges were covered...but I would have to pay for the machines charges.....(ALMOST $4000.00). Needless to say I CANCELLED that and said I'd walk around on nubs before I could afford that.
She understood my dilemma and when this opportunity popped up she called me. She said they found a new company wanting to work with them that would significantly lower the cost of treatment for sufferers and the trial period is two days next week. That's why they are doing it free....to get in the door with the Pod's office.
Here is a link on the doctor who performs it.....he works with about 7 more doctors at Marietta Podiatry in Atlanta. May not have anything about ESWT but a little history on him if anyone lives nearby and needs a Pod.
http://www.millennium-design.com/ci-bios.asp?name=Tony

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 07:51 (082995)

Lyn~

You have to be a current patient and it's only a two day trial. This isn't a walk in type of thing.
Sorry.......wish I could help.

Pauline on 5/08/02 at 11:48 (083049)

Carmen, it sounds like they owned a mobile Mr 'O' which with out FDA approval would not be covered by insurance because of it FDA status. The Ossatron would certainly pop a $4000 cost at you with a surgical center involved. My guess is since it's only a two day trial the physician is considering purchasing a Dornier Espo's to replace his former Mr 'O'. Some trial patients are needed for demonatration purposes, and you had perfect timing.

Good luck and I hope the treatment help you.

Julie on 5/08/02 at 12:59 (083073)

EPOS. Not Espo.

DR Zuckerman on 5/08/02 at 13:33 (083079)

Its the dornier epos. This is being done in various parts of the country for a posssbile sale. I don't know where this being done so I can't tell you when where but the how is the testing for a sale.

Pauline on 5/08/02 at 15:31 (083094)

It sure would be nice if they would just tell the patients the truth about what they are doing instead of making up 'out of network' stories.

In my book there is a big difference between telling a patient that a procedure would not be covered by medical insurance because it is truly being done out of network, and telling a patient that medical coverage is denied because the treatment being offered to the patient is being performed on a medical device which has not yet received FDA approval for the treatment being offered.

Why is it so difficult just to be up front and honest about it to patients?

BrianG on 5/08/02 at 17:17 (083115)

I guess what I don't understand, if it is the Dornier Epos, how can they still be doing trials? It's already approved by the FDA. No? Could it be a trial 'payment' by an insurnce company? Can't wait for you to get more info, Carmen.

BrianG

john h on 5/08/02 at 18:54 (083125)

Julie: I am glad it was not me that posted Espo!

Re: To Brian

Pauline on 5/08/02 at 19:56 (083130)

Brian,
It's a two day trial, not for FDA testing purposes but simply for show and tell so to speak. If you want to sell a product you've got to demonstrate it, thus the two day trial. The physician and Dornier Tech need patients to treat and Carmen had great timing. Chances are Dornier is providing free treatment, and the cost to the insurance company will be physician fees etc.

A simple process of elimination said it had to be a test trial of the Dornier machine. Ossatron is used in surgical centers, and a two day trial would not be enough for a new ESWT machine going for FDA approval.

I hope Carmen gets great results from her treatment. It's beyond me why patients have to get made up stories about out of network insurance coverage for machines that would not have been covered in the first place. Personally, I don't think it's anything to hide it's merely a fact. By the way, how are your feet since your treatment?

Re: I had the Mighty Zap, now it's natures turn :*)

BrianG on 5/08/02 at 23:21 (083157)

I'm still in the wait, and see, mode. I have some pain, like bruising, where the shocks entered my heels, but no discoloration. That doesn't bother me, as I know the Dornier packs a real punch! Soon that pain should be gone, and my heels will commence to healing. This was no overnight success for me, but after 8-9 years, I didn't expect it to be. It's been just over 3 weeks, so I can't get too impatient right now. I'm staying off the feet as much as possble, and expect the healing will beging in the next month, or so. It would make for a great 4th of July celebration :*) I'm not even going to think about a second treatment until at least 12 weeks, probably more. I'm not sure what the protocol is for a second treatment, as the trials were all done with one, high dose zap, which is supposed to begin the healing process. Time, it's on my side, as I'm out of work indefinatly.

BrianG

DR Zuckerman on 5/08/02 at 23:45 (083158)

My post is a guess that it is the epos .

Julie on 5/09/02 at 03:20 (083170)

John, see your emails.

Re: Pauline

Carmen on 5/09/02 at 07:41 (083195)

Hi there! Thank you for your words of encouragement...I wanted to make sure I cleared something up though....
They aren't making up stories about out of network coverage etc. I actually called the insurance company I use and they wouldn't cover the Mobile unit b/c of the out of network status of the machine....all information I got about it and why the other machine wasn't covered was from the insurance company themselves.
The Pod is trying out this machine (as far as I know) so it stays in the office and there will be no out of network problems...Does that mske more sense?
if the machine stays there...than 80% will be covered as oppsed to nothing.
I am supposed to talk to her today (I was gone all day yesterday) so I can get more information about whattype of machine.....

Re: MACHINE

Carmen on 5/09/02 at 08:19 (083199)

Yes it's the Dornier....I am only having the right foot done...the left doesn't hurt 99% of the time.
They are doing it for patient awareness....

BrianG on 5/09/02 at 22:39 (083313)

I think there is a big difference between 'Free trials' and 'Patient awareness'. Do they think no one would know the difference! But, no matter what it's called, you are very lucky to get the Dornier. Just tell them you would like to be treated with the FDA protocol, as they are the people who approved the machine to be used in this country for PF. Do you know if the Dornier tech will be there?

Good luck
BrianG

Carmen on 5/10/02 at 07:31 (083344)

Not sure if the Dornier tech will be here. I iwll find out more Monday when I go for Pre op stuff.

Re: Dornier rep.

BrianG on 5/10/02 at 16:50 (083454)

If it's Ellen, you'll be in good hands :*)

DR Zuckerman on 5/10/02 at 17:04 (083457)

Ellen Ray

David G. on 5/06/02 at 15:52 (082681)

Where did you have this done? Which machine? Please reply to (email removed).

john h on 5/06/02 at 16:38 (082687)

Great Carmen! Go for it! What machine will it be done with?

Carmen on 5/06/02 at 16:58 (082690)

sent.

Carmen on 5/06/02 at 16:58 (082691)

I will find out tomorrow....thank you!!! :o)

Sharon W on 5/06/02 at 19:50 (082717)

Carmen,

WOW! Congratulations! I sure hope you turn out to be one of the many success stories!

-- Sharon

LynK on 5/07/02 at 10:16 (082802)

Where is this doctor?? Where can I have ESWT for $450? I was quoted $2600 per foot in Rhode Island!!!

JudyS on 5/07/02 at 10:56 (082809)

Hot diggity Carmen! Go for it!

BrianG on 5/07/02 at 18:10 (082883)

Hi Carmen,

When you get more inormation, can you fill us in. Are these FDA trials? Hopefully another machine will soon be approved. There are so few machines out there, not everyone will have the chance to be treated. I hope this is whats happening. Good luck

BrianG

Suzanne D on 5/07/02 at 22:02 (082929)

How wonderful, Carmen! And how fitting that you get to be in the trials. You have researched SO much and shared your knowledge with everyone...If anyone deserves to have a chance in these trials, it is YOU! :-)

I don't faithfully read the ESWT board (not that I'm not interested, but I find my time limited and thus skip it sometimes), but I looked up your post after reading a mention of your nearly free ESWT in another message.

I will keep coming back here to learn of your experience!

Suzanne :-)

Re: ALL

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 07:50 (082994)

Thanks everyone!!! I am calling her tomorrow to set it up. I will ask questions about the machine then. I DO know that they currently use another machine and it is a 'mobile' machine...which means most insurance won't cover it because it's considered an out of network item (b/c it's mobile) so all the time I was waiting to be approved I found out I WAS approved by getting the codes and calling the insurance co. TWICE and lo and behold.....the day Iwas going to schedule the treatment the lady called and said I would have to pay out of network charges for that machine. ALL their doctors charges were covered...but I would have to pay for the machines charges.....(ALMOST $4000.00). Needless to say I CANCELLED that and said I'd walk around on nubs before I could afford that.
She understood my dilemma and when this opportunity popped up she called me. She said they found a new company wanting to work with them that would significantly lower the cost of treatment for sufferers and the trial period is two days next week. That's why they are doing it free....to get in the door with the Pod's office.
Here is a link on the doctor who performs it.....he works with about 7 more doctors at Marietta Podiatry in Atlanta. May not have anything about ESWT but a little history on him if anyone lives nearby and needs a Pod.
http://www.millennium-design.com/ci-bios.asp?name=Tony

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 07:51 (082995)

Lyn~

You have to be a current patient and it's only a two day trial. This isn't a walk in type of thing.
Sorry.......wish I could help.

Pauline on 5/08/02 at 11:48 (083049)

Carmen, it sounds like they owned a mobile Mr 'O' which with out FDA approval would not be covered by insurance because of it FDA status. The Ossatron would certainly pop a $4000 cost at you with a surgical center involved. My guess is since it's only a two day trial the physician is considering purchasing a Dornier Espo's to replace his former Mr 'O'. Some trial patients are needed for demonatration purposes, and you had perfect timing.

Good luck and I hope the treatment help you.

Julie on 5/08/02 at 12:59 (083073)

EPOS. Not Espo.

DR Zuckerman on 5/08/02 at 13:33 (083079)

Its the dornier epos. This is being done in various parts of the country for a posssbile sale. I don't know where this being done so I can't tell you when where but the how is the testing for a sale.

Pauline on 5/08/02 at 15:31 (083094)

It sure would be nice if they would just tell the patients the truth about what they are doing instead of making up 'out of network' stories.

In my book there is a big difference between telling a patient that a procedure would not be covered by medical insurance because it is truly being done out of network, and telling a patient that medical coverage is denied because the treatment being offered to the patient is being performed on a medical device which has not yet received FDA approval for the treatment being offered.

Why is it so difficult just to be up front and honest about it to patients?

BrianG on 5/08/02 at 17:17 (083115)

I guess what I don't understand, if it is the Dornier Epos, how can they still be doing trials? It's already approved by the FDA. No? Could it be a trial 'payment' by an insurnce company? Can't wait for you to get more info, Carmen.

BrianG

john h on 5/08/02 at 18:54 (083125)

Julie: I am glad it was not me that posted Espo!

Re: To Brian

Pauline on 5/08/02 at 19:56 (083130)

Brian,
It's a two day trial, not for FDA testing purposes but simply for show and tell so to speak. If you want to sell a product you've got to demonstrate it, thus the two day trial. The physician and Dornier Tech need patients to treat and Carmen had great timing. Chances are Dornier is providing free treatment, and the cost to the insurance company will be physician fees etc.

A simple process of elimination said it had to be a test trial of the Dornier machine. Ossatron is used in surgical centers, and a two day trial would not be enough for a new ESWT machine going for FDA approval.

I hope Carmen gets great results from her treatment. It's beyond me why patients have to get made up stories about out of network insurance coverage for machines that would not have been covered in the first place. Personally, I don't think it's anything to hide it's merely a fact. By the way, how are your feet since your treatment?

Re: I had the Mighty Zap, now it's natures turn :*)

BrianG on 5/08/02 at 23:21 (083157)

I'm still in the wait, and see, mode. I have some pain, like bruising, where the shocks entered my heels, but no discoloration. That doesn't bother me, as I know the Dornier packs a real punch! Soon that pain should be gone, and my heels will commence to healing. This was no overnight success for me, but after 8-9 years, I didn't expect it to be. It's been just over 3 weeks, so I can't get too impatient right now. I'm staying off the feet as much as possble, and expect the healing will beging in the next month, or so. It would make for a great 4th of July celebration :*) I'm not even going to think about a second treatment until at least 12 weeks, probably more. I'm not sure what the protocol is for a second treatment, as the trials were all done with one, high dose zap, which is supposed to begin the healing process. Time, it's on my side, as I'm out of work indefinatly.

BrianG

DR Zuckerman on 5/08/02 at 23:45 (083158)

My post is a guess that it is the epos .

Julie on 5/09/02 at 03:20 (083170)

John, see your emails.

Re: Pauline

Carmen on 5/09/02 at 07:41 (083195)

Hi there! Thank you for your words of encouragement...I wanted to make sure I cleared something up though....
They aren't making up stories about out of network coverage etc. I actually called the insurance company I use and they wouldn't cover the Mobile unit b/c of the out of network status of the machine....all information I got about it and why the other machine wasn't covered was from the insurance company themselves.
The Pod is trying out this machine (as far as I know) so it stays in the office and there will be no out of network problems...Does that mske more sense?
if the machine stays there...than 80% will be covered as oppsed to nothing.
I am supposed to talk to her today (I was gone all day yesterday) so I can get more information about whattype of machine.....

Carmen on 5/09/02 at 08:19 (083199)

Yes it's the Dornier....I am only having the right foot done...the left doesn't hurt 99% of the time.
They are doing it for patient awareness....

BrianG on 5/09/02 at 22:39 (083313)

I think there is a big difference between 'Free trials' and 'Patient awareness'. Do they think no one would know the difference! But, no matter what it's called, you are very lucky to get the Dornier. Just tell them you would like to be treated with the FDA protocol, as they are the people who approved the machine to be used in this country for PF. Do you know if the Dornier tech will be there?

Good luck
BrianG

Carmen on 5/10/02 at 07:31 (083344)

Not sure if the Dornier tech will be here. I iwll find out more Monday when I go for Pre op stuff.

BrianG on 5/10/02 at 16:50 (083454)

If it's Ellen, you'll be in good hands :*)

DR Zuckerman on 5/10/02 at 17:04 (083457)

Ellen Ray