Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

new stretching info?

Posted by paula on 5/07/02 at 08:25 (082773)

i was careening around wheeless textbook and came upon this concept while looking for ways to strech. feet should be inverted or toed inward (not clear to me exactly which) while trying to stretch calf and heel cord. maybe some of you really smart folks here can look it up and help us figure it out. it insures the correct area of ankle and lower leg is dorsiflexed. since my feet are charlie chaplin turned out it never occurred to me to toe in when i stretch. the part i'm not sure about is it toeing in or tilting foot. and if so tilting which way? it was stressed that this is really important

Re: new stretching info?

Carmen on 5/07/02 at 09:43 (082793)

My PT had me stretching the calves kind of like that in order to not overstretch the fascia while trying to heal.
Couldn't tell you if it made a difference....

Julie on 5/07/02 at 10:10 (082800)

Paula, 'inverting' does mean pointing the toes in. The opposite is 'everting' (toeing out, like Charlie Chaplin).

Please be careful, though, with any weight-bearing stretching. Non-weight-bearing exercise is much safer for PF.

john h on 5/07/02 at 18:20 (082885)

Paula: Just thumbing around in the Wheeless Textbook of Orthobepics huh? I guess it beats 'War and Peace'.

rose w. on 5/31/02 at 19:37 (085950)

There are some excellent on-line exercises at feldenkrais.com especially the one on 'flexible feet' Other good exercises for leg alignment, tight hamstrings, etc.

Carmen on 5/07/02 at 09:43 (082793)

My PT had me stretching the calves kind of like that in order to not overstretch the fascia while trying to heal.
Couldn't tell you if it made a difference....

Julie on 5/07/02 at 10:10 (082800)

Paula, 'inverting' does mean pointing the toes in. The opposite is 'everting' (toeing out, like Charlie Chaplin).

Please be careful, though, with any weight-bearing stretching. Non-weight-bearing exercise is much safer for PF.

john h on 5/07/02 at 18:20 (082885)

Paula: Just thumbing around in the Wheeless Textbook of Orthobepics huh? I guess it beats 'War and Peace'.

rose w. on 5/31/02 at 19:37 (085950)

There are some excellent on-line exercises at feldenkrais.com especially the one on 'flexible feet' Other good exercises for leg alignment, tight hamstrings, etc.