Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Donna and Sharon W

Posted by Carmen on 5/07/02 at 11:58 (082816)

Wondering Donna are you still experienceing relief from ART and Sharon did you ever try it?
I am going tomorrow...first session. I have had NST done on my feet and the results were amazing....but they got me to a point and now I am stuck at this level. I figure if the NST helped as much as it did he ART will do even better.
For tight hamstrings as well...which pulls on the lower back which affects the feet...etc etc...and the knee bone is connnected to the...

Re: Carmen: ART

Sharon W on 5/07/02 at 13:19 (082825)

Carmen,

No, I haven't tried ART (although I haven't ruled the idea out), and I will be really interested to hear how it goes for you! (The same for the ESWT - how exciting that you got in on an 'almost free' trial!!)

Pardon my ignorance -- but what is NST?

It's strange that you would bring ART up because I have been thinking a lot about it lately. I mentioned it to my physical therapist and she didn't know what it is, so yesterday I brought in some information on it from the web. (I don't know if she is really interested, though.) She did say there is another therapist there at the hospital's outpatient rehab who IS certified for some kind of myofacial massage, and I figured I would ask my pod about that, see if she thinks I could benefit from it.

Back to ART -- I did find a practicioner, certified in both spine and lower extremities, who has his practice 78 miles from here. I e-mailed him and eventually got a message back; he says he treats a lot of atheletes at the university. (But of course I doubt very much if my insurance would pay anything toward it...)

-- Sharon

Carmen on 5/07/02 at 14:17 (082837)

My insurance is only paying after I meet my deductible of 300 for out of network....but I honestly do not care...I am getting it done. It just makes sense...especially since I used to be very athletic and all of this happened while I was active...and now here I sit a big marshmallow!
I mean think about this.....I have tried all conservative treatments...ALL ofit...had success but not 100%...what's the missing link? the fascia is still tight as a drum no matter what stretches I do...no matter what therapy I have. The ART works on soft tissue which surround nerves, tendons ligaments etc....the fascia is probably just bearing down on all of those things causiong them to hurt from being inflamed for so long.
I just feel good about it...and I haven't felt good about ANYthing I have tried before I tried it. Does that make sense?
The NST seems similar (Australian origin)and really gave me relief from the burning when it was BAD.
I went in barely able to step on my foot...and walked out with MINIMAL discomfort. That to me was a miracle at that time in my treatment.
NST (Neurostructural Technique) you can read about here on these links....easier to understand if you read on it rather than me explain it:
(It's been told to work miracles on Fibro)
http://www.mercola.com/nst/explain.htm

http://www.centerfornaturalhealth.net/nst.html

I hope this is helpful to satisfy your inquiry...you're not ignorant at all. it's relatively new in the USA....
MOST PT's don't know a thing about NST or ART....so I am not surprised yours didn't know...and didn't seem to care. Mine either.
Oh well....we are more educated all the better for knowing. :o)
I'll keep you posted on the ART.

Re: Carmen: ART & NST

Sharon W on 5/07/02 at 14:38 (082842)

Carmen,

Typical -- there is no NST practicioner in my 'neck of the woods,' either. But there is one in Temple, Texas, about an hour away... I'll give it some thought. (It actually sounds like it might do more to treat nerve problems than the ART...?)

I DEFINITELY understand where you're coming from when you say you've tried ALL the conservative treatments... and had success but not 100%. The air cast was far more helpful in treating my TTS than I ever imagined it would be (I've had a LOT less 'shooting' nerve pain since then), but I am terribly afraid to increase my activity level too much because I'm afraid I will quickly regress back to where I was before! And as for PF, the ultrasound I'm doing at PT is supposed to help it, but so far I think it might actually be making it WORSE. At least, every time I go to PT I seem to have more inflammation, and therefore more pain, for the rest of the day. And my feet have been becoming increasingly RED since I started it; the PT tells me that is NOT a 'normal' reaction to the ultrasound. I end up spending the rest of the morning and all of the afternoon icing, or doing contrast baths, to recover from the effects of PT! But at least it is NOT nerve pain I get after PT, in fact the nerve pain SEEMS to be continuing to improve, so that part is good.

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to 'vent'.

Yes, please do keep me (and all of us) posted on how it goes! (You know I wish you the very best of luck with both treatments, of course...)

-- Sharon

Sharon W on 5/07/02 at 14:48 (082843)

Carmen:

One more comment about the ART: you said you felt good about it, and you haven't really felt good about ANYTHING else before you tried it.

Well, I think that's a good sign, a sign that the 'wise woman' inside you LIKES the idea. I know this sounds like mumbo-jumbo but I am a strong believer in intuition and when I get a 'feeling' like that about something, I know I'd BETTER follow it or I will eventually be muttering my regrets!

-- Sharon

Carmen on 5/07/02 at 16:02 (082851)

You SAID IT! I am the intuition QUEEN!!!! My husband always laughs at me and my 'ESP' nd my 'feelings' about things.
You are right on the money about that Sharon!

On another note....I would quit getting the ultrasound...(if you haven't already) if you think this is causing the redness....it does increase bloodflow to the area...which may be increasing your inflammation?
Just a thought....take CARE. :o)

Re: Thanks, Carmen

Sharon W on 5/07/02 at 16:09 (082852)

Do you also have a 'feeling' about ESWT?

Thanks, Carmen, for all the information. I am always interested in learning more about this stuff. And I'll be watching closely for your posts about how it all works out!

-- Sharon

Re: Re:Intuition...

Julie on 5/08/02 at 01:36 (082944)

...should always be followed. It might occasionally be wrong, but that's how it gets 'trained' and over time it makes fewer errors and gets more and more intelligent.

Go for it, Carmen!

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 07:29 (082985)

I don't have as 'much' of a feeling about ESWT.....b/c the major complaints i have are in morethan my feet and I know they are muscular and from overuse. The eswt will help withthe injured fascia but if I don't get the ART to loosen up my hamstrings and everything else the eswt won't make adifference. Does that make sense?
I got at 4 today it will take me about an hour 15 min in Atlanta to get there....
but in my new car I won't care!!!! :o)
Can you tell I am excited?

Sharon W on 5/08/02 at 07:36 (082989)

Carmen,

I'm excited FOR you; you're right, if you have things in your foot/ankle that need to be loosened up, ART sounds like just the treatment to make you better.

Congrats on the new car, by the way... It sounds lovely, and fun to drive!

-- Sharon

Re: Donna and Sharon W NST,ART

Barbara S on 5/08/02 at 09:14 (083007)

Hi I must have missed something here. I printed the article on NST, but what is ART. THese both sound like something I might like to try. I,m going to ask my Massage THerapist if she knows any of this. I go twice a month for my Fibro. Thanks Barbara S

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 09:47 (083019)

Barbara~

We didn't post the link...here's one. It will lead you to info about the origin of it by Dr. Leahy as well....just click on his name. MOST PT's don't do this...the person has to be certified in ART...there will be a place to find someone who is listed on the site. You can call Dr. Leahy's facility too adn they will help...very nice staff.
http://www.drabelson.com/ARTPage.htm

Re: Carmen- ART

Donna SL on 5/08/02 at 19:40 (083129)

Hi Carmen,

I'm still experiencing relief from ART. I still have some ups and downs, but I'm so much better than I was last year. I'm still not back to being able to walk hours upon hours like I used to (6-8 hrs) yet without a rest, but I can stand/walk anywhere from around 2 to 4 hours (sometimes more) comfortably most of the time. I'm also not currently wearing any orthotics.

If on occassion I have a flare up I'll either go for an acupuncture, or Art session, or just take some pain meds. I had some strange rebound pain, at he beginning of April after totally discontinuing vioxx, and nortriptyline abruptly after taking them for a year (I was developing some bad side effects from the vioxx), but everything seemed to calm down after a couple of acupuncture treatments.

Each new treatment you try hopefully will take you one step further towards your recovery, and sometimes combining several therapies at once helps even more. The Pilates I began recently has been very beneficial for not only my feet, but my entire body, and hopefully will help permanently retain the flexibility achieved by the ART treatments.

Is the Art practitioner certified in lower body? Let me know how it went.

Donna

Carmen on 5/09/02 at 07:33 (083193)

Hi Donna!! Yes she is certified in lower extremity and spine..
I am getting back into Pilates as this gets bettter......
SO glad you are better...thank you for sharing your experience...makes me very hopeful!

Sharon W on 5/07/02 at 13:19 (082825)

Carmen,

No, I haven't tried ART (although I haven't ruled the idea out), and I will be really interested to hear how it goes for you! (The same for the ESWT - how exciting that you got in on an 'almost free' trial!!)

Pardon my ignorance -- but what is NST?

It's strange that you would bring ART up because I have been thinking a lot about it lately. I mentioned it to my physical therapist and she didn't know what it is, so yesterday I brought in some information on it from the web. (I don't know if she is really interested, though.) She did say there is another therapist there at the hospital's outpatient rehab who IS certified for some kind of myofacial massage, and I figured I would ask my pod about that, see if she thinks I could benefit from it.

Back to ART -- I did find a practicioner, certified in both spine and lower extremities, who has his practice 78 miles from here. I e-mailed him and eventually got a message back; he says he treats a lot of atheletes at the university. (But of course I doubt very much if my insurance would pay anything toward it...)

-- Sharon

Carmen on 5/07/02 at 14:17 (082837)

My insurance is only paying after I meet my deductible of 300 for out of network....but I honestly do not care...I am getting it done. It just makes sense...especially since I used to be very athletic and all of this happened while I was active...and now here I sit a big marshmallow!
I mean think about this.....I have tried all conservative treatments...ALL ofit...had success but not 100%...what's the missing link? the fascia is still tight as a drum no matter what stretches I do...no matter what therapy I have. The ART works on soft tissue which surround nerves, tendons ligaments etc....the fascia is probably just bearing down on all of those things causiong them to hurt from being inflamed for so long.
I just feel good about it...and I haven't felt good about ANYthing I have tried before I tried it. Does that make sense?
The NST seems similar (Australian origin)and really gave me relief from the burning when it was BAD.
I went in barely able to step on my foot...and walked out with MINIMAL discomfort. That to me was a miracle at that time in my treatment.
NST (Neurostructural Technique) you can read about here on these links....easier to understand if you read on it rather than me explain it:
(It's been told to work miracles on Fibro)
http://www.mercola.com/nst/explain.htm

http://www.centerfornaturalhealth.net/nst.html

I hope this is helpful to satisfy your inquiry...you're not ignorant at all. it's relatively new in the USA....
MOST PT's don't know a thing about NST or ART....so I am not surprised yours didn't know...and didn't seem to care. Mine either.
Oh well....we are more educated all the better for knowing. :o)
I'll keep you posted on the ART.

Sharon W on 5/07/02 at 14:38 (082842)

Carmen,

Typical -- there is no NST practicioner in my 'neck of the woods,' either. But there is one in Temple, Texas, about an hour away... I'll give it some thought. (It actually sounds like it might do more to treat nerve problems than the ART...?)

I DEFINITELY understand where you're coming from when you say you've tried ALL the conservative treatments... and had success but not 100%. The air cast was far more helpful in treating my TTS than I ever imagined it would be (I've had a LOT less 'shooting' nerve pain since then), but I am terribly afraid to increase my activity level too much because I'm afraid I will quickly regress back to where I was before! And as for PF, the ultrasound I'm doing at PT is supposed to help it, but so far I think it might actually be making it WORSE. At least, every time I go to PT I seem to have more inflammation, and therefore more pain, for the rest of the day. And my feet have been becoming increasingly RED since I started it; the PT tells me that is NOT a 'normal' reaction to the ultrasound. I end up spending the rest of the morning and all of the afternoon icing, or doing contrast baths, to recover from the effects of PT! But at least it is NOT nerve pain I get after PT, in fact the nerve pain SEEMS to be continuing to improve, so that part is good.

Oops, sorry, didn't mean to 'vent'.

Yes, please do keep me (and all of us) posted on how it goes! (You know I wish you the very best of luck with both treatments, of course...)

-- Sharon

Sharon W on 5/07/02 at 14:48 (082843)

Carmen:

One more comment about the ART: you said you felt good about it, and you haven't really felt good about ANYTHING else before you tried it.

Well, I think that's a good sign, a sign that the 'wise woman' inside you LIKES the idea. I know this sounds like mumbo-jumbo but I am a strong believer in intuition and when I get a 'feeling' like that about something, I know I'd BETTER follow it or I will eventually be muttering my regrets!

-- Sharon

Carmen on 5/07/02 at 16:02 (082851)

You SAID IT! I am the intuition QUEEN!!!! My husband always laughs at me and my 'ESP' nd my 'feelings' about things.
You are right on the money about that Sharon!

On another note....I would quit getting the ultrasound...(if you haven't already) if you think this is causing the redness....it does increase bloodflow to the area...which may be increasing your inflammation?
Just a thought....take CARE. :o)

Sharon W on 5/07/02 at 16:09 (082852)

Do you also have a 'feeling' about ESWT?

Thanks, Carmen, for all the information. I am always interested in learning more about this stuff. And I'll be watching closely for your posts about how it all works out!

-- Sharon

Re: Re:Intuition...

Julie on 5/08/02 at 01:36 (082944)

...should always be followed. It might occasionally be wrong, but that's how it gets 'trained' and over time it makes fewer errors and gets more and more intelligent.

Go for it, Carmen!

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 07:29 (082985)

I don't have as 'much' of a feeling about ESWT.....b/c the major complaints i have are in morethan my feet and I know they are muscular and from overuse. The eswt will help withthe injured fascia but if I don't get the ART to loosen up my hamstrings and everything else the eswt won't make adifference. Does that make sense?
I got at 4 today it will take me about an hour 15 min in Atlanta to get there....
but in my new car I won't care!!!! :o)
Can you tell I am excited?

Sharon W on 5/08/02 at 07:36 (082989)

Carmen,

I'm excited FOR you; you're right, if you have things in your foot/ankle that need to be loosened up, ART sounds like just the treatment to make you better.

Congrats on the new car, by the way... It sounds lovely, and fun to drive!

-- Sharon

Barbara S on 5/08/02 at 09:14 (083007)

Hi I must have missed something here. I printed the article on NST, but what is ART. THese both sound like something I might like to try. I,m going to ask my Massage THerapist if she knows any of this. I go twice a month for my Fibro. Thanks Barbara S

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 09:47 (083019)

Barbara~

We didn't post the link...here's one. It will lead you to info about the origin of it by Dr. Leahy as well....just click on his name. MOST PT's don't do this...the person has to be certified in ART...there will be a place to find someone who is listed on the site. You can call Dr. Leahy's facility too adn they will help...very nice staff.
http://www.drabelson.com/ARTPage.htm

Donna SL on 5/08/02 at 19:40 (083129)

Hi Carmen,

I'm still experiencing relief from ART. I still have some ups and downs, but I'm so much better than I was last year. I'm still not back to being able to walk hours upon hours like I used to (6-8 hrs) yet without a rest, but I can stand/walk anywhere from around 2 to 4 hours (sometimes more) comfortably most of the time. I'm also not currently wearing any orthotics.

If on occassion I have a flare up I'll either go for an acupuncture, or Art session, or just take some pain meds. I had some strange rebound pain, at he beginning of April after totally discontinuing vioxx, and nortriptyline abruptly after taking them for a year (I was developing some bad side effects from the vioxx), but everything seemed to calm down after a couple of acupuncture treatments.

Each new treatment you try hopefully will take you one step further towards your recovery, and sometimes combining several therapies at once helps even more. The Pilates I began recently has been very beneficial for not only my feet, but my entire body, and hopefully will help permanently retain the flexibility achieved by the ART treatments.

Is the Art practitioner certified in lower body? Let me know how it went.

Donna

Carmen on 5/09/02 at 07:33 (083193)

Hi Donna!! Yes she is certified in lower extremity and spine..
I am getting back into Pilates as this gets bettter......
SO glad you are better...thank you for sharing your experience...makes me very hopeful!