Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Compression alternatives?

Posted by D.Thomas on 5/07/02 at 13:19 (082826)

I have been seeing a massage therspist the last week or so and she wants me to compress my feet after I ice when she gets done with her session to help stop fluid from returning into my feet. I think I am going to buy these:

http://www.roadrunnersports.com/cgi-bin/rrs/rrs/ProductPg.jsp?fromClearance=false&baseProdKey=RRPRO-004&catOID=-8890&BV_SessionID=@@@@0214939954.1020795353@@@@&BV_EngineID=gadceceljkjgbekgcgecfeedg.0

Any other ideas or suggestions?

Re: Compression alternatives?

Sharon W on 5/07/02 at 13:31 (082829)

That looks quite interesting; I hope you will post about this again later to report your results!

-- Sharon

Carmen on 5/07/02 at 14:19 (082838)

Can't you get the same resultsfrom taping? I would hate for you to spend more money....
Why would she want to stop 'fluid' and what 'fluid' is she talking about? BLOOD? You need blood flow to heal....I'm confused.

Just curious b/c your condition seems a lot like mine and I have followed your posts here and there....have you tried ART?

D.Thomas on 5/07/02 at 15:08 (082844)

Actually,

I really like this massage lady. She has been doing only feet for 20 years. She only accepts patients from two foot doctors. Luckly, one of the doctors is mine. She knows ART quite well but says her method is better. She told me why but I wouldn't be able to explain it without screwing it up. She is just trying to limit the fluid that is causing me pain and inflammation. She hopes thast if we limit it some more, that will give it a better chance to heal. I now you can also wear special socks to help lower the fluid by compression. The only taping that helps me is the low-dye method with a cambell strap beciuse it wraps the whole bottom part of the foot in tape which also creates compression. The problem is that the person who does the taping can't do it after my massage appoitments and I can't do this type of taping myself. So I must use something else. I think these things might work.

I can't really say much about the fluid. I'll ask her next time. I think the fluid is more than blood and helps create inflammation but don't quote me. Might be an interesting question for Dr. Ed or Z.

Re: Fluid?

Sharon W on 5/07/02 at 15:27 (082848)

The 'fluid' she is talking about also might be lymph edema, or simply inflammation. Perhaps Dr. Ed or Dr. Z could clarify.

-- Sharon

Re: Question for Dr. Ed or Dr. Z?

D.Thomas on 5/07/02 at 16:09 (082853)

What is up with fluid, PF, and inflammation? And how can compression help or make matters worse?

DR Zuckerman on 5/07/02 at 16:17 (082857)

Plantar faciitis is inflamaton of the plantar fascia . Compression can restrict motion and elongation of the plantar fascia which will sometimes rest the pf and get rid of pain Fluid is swelling which is inflamation which can cause pain

JudyS on 5/07/02 at 16:51 (082868)

D. Thomas - don't buy them! I have a pair I'll be glad to send you for free. I got them from my chiropractor but only used them twice because they imposed too much on my already-rigid arch.
(email removed)

Julie on 5/08/02 at 01:40 (082945)

I suspect, as Sharon suggests, that the fluid may be lymph accumulating in the inflamed area. If so, the compression is meant to force it back into the proper channels.

Women with lymphoedema following breast cancer surgery wear a compression sleeve for this purpose.

john h on 5/08/02 at 09:01 (083006)

Frequently the bodies response to injury is swelling and fluid buildup (not blood). The swelling prevents further movement as in the case of joints to prevent further injury. If the PF becomes irritated for what ever reason it is not unreasonable for swelling to occur in the area. Swelling can produce pain by creating pressure on a nerve. Baseball pitchers, QB's, and other athletes often ice their shoulders and arms after each and every game to keep the swelling down just from the exertion of playing the game.

D.Thomas on 5/08/02 at 09:41 (083016)

Thanks for the info guys! Judy I already bought them and they are on their way. Thanks for the offer. I will see how they work on me.

Sharon W on 5/07/02 at 13:31 (082829)

That looks quite interesting; I hope you will post about this again later to report your results!

-- Sharon

Carmen on 5/07/02 at 14:19 (082838)

Can't you get the same resultsfrom taping? I would hate for you to spend more money....
Why would she want to stop 'fluid' and what 'fluid' is she talking about? BLOOD? You need blood flow to heal....I'm confused.

Just curious b/c your condition seems a lot like mine and I have followed your posts here and there....have you tried ART?

D.Thomas on 5/07/02 at 15:08 (082844)

Actually,

I really like this massage lady. She has been doing only feet for 20 years. She only accepts patients from two foot doctors. Luckly, one of the doctors is mine. She knows ART quite well but says her method is better. She told me why but I wouldn't be able to explain it without screwing it up. She is just trying to limit the fluid that is causing me pain and inflammation. She hopes thast if we limit it some more, that will give it a better chance to heal. I now you can also wear special socks to help lower the fluid by compression. The only taping that helps me is the low-dye method with a cambell strap beciuse it wraps the whole bottom part of the foot in tape which also creates compression. The problem is that the person who does the taping can't do it after my massage appoitments and I can't do this type of taping myself. So I must use something else. I think these things might work.

I can't really say much about the fluid. I'll ask her next time. I think the fluid is more than blood and helps create inflammation but don't quote me. Might be an interesting question for Dr. Ed or Z.

Re: Fluid?

Sharon W on 5/07/02 at 15:27 (082848)

The 'fluid' she is talking about also might be lymph edema, or simply inflammation. Perhaps Dr. Ed or Dr. Z could clarify.

-- Sharon

D.Thomas on 5/07/02 at 16:09 (082853)

What is up with fluid, PF, and inflammation? And how can compression help or make matters worse?

DR Zuckerman on 5/07/02 at 16:17 (082857)

Plantar faciitis is inflamaton of the plantar fascia . Compression can restrict motion and elongation of the plantar fascia which will sometimes rest the pf and get rid of pain Fluid is swelling which is inflamation which can cause pain

JudyS on 5/07/02 at 16:51 (082868)

D. Thomas - don't buy them! I have a pair I'll be glad to send you for free. I got them from my chiropractor but only used them twice because they imposed too much on my already-rigid arch.
(email removed)

Julie on 5/08/02 at 01:40 (082945)

I suspect, as Sharon suggests, that the fluid may be lymph accumulating in the inflamed area. If so, the compression is meant to force it back into the proper channels.

Women with lymphoedema following breast cancer surgery wear a compression sleeve for this purpose.

john h on 5/08/02 at 09:01 (083006)

Frequently the bodies response to injury is swelling and fluid buildup (not blood). The swelling prevents further movement as in the case of joints to prevent further injury. If the PF becomes irritated for what ever reason it is not unreasonable for swelling to occur in the area. Swelling can produce pain by creating pressure on a nerve. Baseball pitchers, QB's, and other athletes often ice their shoulders and arms after each and every game to keep the swelling down just from the exertion of playing the game.

D.Thomas on 5/08/02 at 09:41 (083016)

Thanks for the info guys! Judy I already bought them and they are on their way. Thanks for the offer. I will see how they work on me.