Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Laurie Info

Posted by Pam B on 5/07/02 at 19:03 (082901)

Hi guys...just wanted to let you all know that from what I understand, Laurie's doc said it was bad but not as bad as he had expected...she was expecting a visit this afternoon from the home health care nurse to check on the catheter, pump and meds...my understanding is she is taking this all like a trooper :)

Many thanks to Julie for the help she has given to Laurie with regard to her panic and anxiety...I also have a copy of the tape she listens to and it is very relaxing...thanks Julie...Laurie has come so far in such a short time listening to your tape and reading, she has learned so much :)

If I hear anything further, I will let you all know :)I am just glad that hopefully this will be the beginning of the end to most of her suffering...and I am relieved that the surgery went so well as I know we all are...

Take care and God Bless

Re: Pam B

Sharon W on 5/07/02 at 19:06 (082902)

You mentioned a home health nurse -- is Laurie recovering at home, then? I had assumed that with all her surgery involved, she would be staying a night in the hospital.

-- Sharon

Pam B on 5/07/02 at 19:22 (082905)

Yes Sharon, she is home...I could not believe it but that is how it is in this world today, you got to be half dead for them to keep you in the hospital...she was not even in the hospital, she was in a surgi center, so she could not have even stayed there...I was like you and I thought she would at least spend the nite, but she told me no.....but they did set up the nurse and she is supposed to be going there three to four times a week to assist with the pump and catheter...Rico took off this week to be home with her and her mom lives right in her neighborhood, so hopefully she is set up for a bit...she is brave to do it this way, if it were me, I would have raised enough H--L that they would have kept me at least overnite...my prayers are for there to be no complications now that the surgery is over...I am sure the angels are looking out for her :)

Sharon W on 5/07/02 at 19:29 (082906)

Pam,

Yes, that IS how things are in this world today, but that doesn't make it RIGHT. I really think it's dangerous, in a complicated situation like hers, to send her home for the first night. There are so many urgent things that could happen, she really should have trained medical personnel to monitor her for at least the first 24 hours!

Oh, well, I don't rule the world...

-- Sharon

Pam B on 5/07/02 at 19:54 (082907)

I totally agree with you Sharon, I was really angry when she told me how it was gonna be....it is no wonder there are so many botched surgeries with the care you get today...I used to run an ambulance company and I can tell you that things need to be revamped in the medical world....I am just hoping there will be no complications that Rico cant handle....he has been to most all of her appts and was with her today, so I know he has been versed in what to expect....and I would imagine that the nurse will also leave her number for them just in case....my prayers are with her as I know yours are too :)

BrianG on 5/07/02 at 20:50 (082920)

On the other hand, there may be much less chance of infection at her house, than in the surgi-center, I'm sure it will all work out for the best. And the ambulance is only a 911 call away. Good luck Laurie!

BrianG

Sharon W on 5/07/02 at 19:06 (082902)

You mentioned a home health nurse -- is Laurie recovering at home, then? I had assumed that with all her surgery involved, she would be staying a night in the hospital.

-- Sharon

Pam B on 5/07/02 at 19:22 (082905)

Yes Sharon, she is home...I could not believe it but that is how it is in this world today, you got to be half dead for them to keep you in the hospital...she was not even in the hospital, she was in a surgi center, so she could not have even stayed there...I was like you and I thought she would at least spend the nite, but she told me no.....but they did set up the nurse and she is supposed to be going there three to four times a week to assist with the pump and catheter...Rico took off this week to be home with her and her mom lives right in her neighborhood, so hopefully she is set up for a bit...she is brave to do it this way, if it were me, I would have raised enough H--L that they would have kept me at least overnite...my prayers are for there to be no complications now that the surgery is over...I am sure the angels are looking out for her :)

Sharon W on 5/07/02 at 19:29 (082906)

Pam,

Yes, that IS how things are in this world today, but that doesn't make it RIGHT. I really think it's dangerous, in a complicated situation like hers, to send her home for the first night. There are so many urgent things that could happen, she really should have trained medical personnel to monitor her for at least the first 24 hours!

Oh, well, I don't rule the world...

-- Sharon

Pam B on 5/07/02 at 19:54 (082907)

I totally agree with you Sharon, I was really angry when she told me how it was gonna be....it is no wonder there are so many botched surgeries with the care you get today...I used to run an ambulance company and I can tell you that things need to be revamped in the medical world....I am just hoping there will be no complications that Rico cant handle....he has been to most all of her appts and was with her today, so I know he has been versed in what to expect....and I would imagine that the nurse will also leave her number for them just in case....my prayers are with her as I know yours are too :)

BrianG on 5/07/02 at 20:50 (082920)

On the other hand, there may be much less chance of infection at her house, than in the surgi-center, I'm sure it will all work out for the best. And the ambulance is only a 911 call away. Good luck Laurie!

BrianG