Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

feet swelling after beginning use of orthotics??

Posted by Sharon B on 5/08/02 at 01:13 (082940)

It's been almost a year since the PF symptoms began and was dx in July 2001. Not long ago I had a cast for 4 weeks to keep my foot at a 90 degree angle, which was followed with the use of a night splint and custom-made orthotics. I am now having a lot of ankle swelling after being on my feet with the use of the orthotics. Anyone else experience this problem? The worse foot now feels like I have had a bad sprain when I try to move my foot in a circular motion...perhaps it's from the swelling. Every time I have tried a new treatment the condition has seemed to get worse. I have to be on my feet a lot in my occupation. Any suggestions, advice, similar experiences? Thanks so much!

Re: feet swelling after beginning use of orthotics??

Carole C in NOLA on 5/08/02 at 12:37 (083066)

Sharon, did you break in your orthotics? Apparently they often need to be worn only an hour or so the first day, and then add a half hour each day.

Rest, ice, anti-inflammatories, and putting your feet up may help. But as a nurse you don't have much opportunity for rest and putting your feet up, except after work. Be sure to ice, and to increase the time they're worn gradually (I'd suggest that you decrease how long you wear them until the swelling becomes less, and break them in by increasing the time gradually). I hope this problem goes away!

Carole C

Re: feet swelling after beginning use of orthotics??

Carole C in NOLA on 5/08/02 at 12:37 (083066)

Sharon, did you break in your orthotics? Apparently they often need to be worn only an hour or so the first day, and then add a half hour each day.

Rest, ice, anti-inflammatories, and putting your feet up may help. But as a nurse you don't have much opportunity for rest and putting your feet up, except after work. Be sure to ice, and to increase the time they're worn gradually (I'd suggest that you decrease how long you wear them until the swelling becomes less, and break them in by increasing the time gradually). I hope this problem goes away!

Carole C