Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

??? about ankle swelling after beginning use of orthotics

Posted by Sharon B on 5/08/02 at 01:22 (082942)

I started having foot pain last summer and was dx with PF last July. A few months ago I had a cast for 4 weeks to keep my foot at a 90 angle, which was followed with the use of a night splint and custom-made orthotics. I now have increased ankle swelling and 'discomfort' throughout the day with the use of the orthotics. My foot feels like I've had a bad sprain when I move it in a circular motion...perhaps from the swelling. Has anyone out there had this ankle swelling problem? I'm getting very frustrated. I have to be on my feet many hours each day at my job. It seems that the condition gets worse with each new treatment. I would appreciate any answers, advice, suggestions, etc. Thanks

Re: orthotics can mess up your ankles

Sandy H. on 5/08/02 at 01:41 (082946)

I had my ankles totally messed up with orthotics and now they are better because I am not wearing them and stick to motion control running shoes. Now I'm not saying that I have got rid of PF or that orthotics wouldn't help if they were proper but the ankle instability and shooting pain was just horrendous compared to the dull ache I get with PF and no orthotics. Get your orthotics reviewed and get a second opinion on whether you actually need them.

Re: ??? about ankle swelling after beginning use of orthotics

Julie on 5/08/02 at 04:08 (082958)

Sharon, see the practitioner who made your orthotics. It sounds as though they need adjustment. Also, remember that it takes time to break them in and to become accustomed to them.

R C on 5/08/02 at 08:09 (083000)

I also had 4 weeks of non-removable cast. Afterwards, I could not bear any weight on my foot because the achilles tendon was very tender, and because my leg didn't seem to meet the ankle comfortably. I was told by the doctor that this is not unusual, and that is why casting must be followed by physical therapy. After 4 weeks of physical therapy (and gradually weaning off crutches) and continued exercises on my own, I have fully recovered.

Looking back, I think that the cast + PT approach was successful in that the damaged plantar fascia had a chance to heal completely.

In Sharon's case I would suggest talking to the Dr. about follow up physical therapy, plus crutches to prevent re-injury in the mean time. And try to find some way to stay off your feet for a while longer.

As for orthotics, I haven't had great success (will post separately).

Re: orthotics can mess up your ankles

Sandy H. on 5/08/02 at 01:41 (082946)

I had my ankles totally messed up with orthotics and now they are better because I am not wearing them and stick to motion control running shoes. Now I'm not saying that I have got rid of PF or that orthotics wouldn't help if they were proper but the ankle instability and shooting pain was just horrendous compared to the dull ache I get with PF and no orthotics. Get your orthotics reviewed and get a second opinion on whether you actually need them.

Julie on 5/08/02 at 04:08 (082958)

Sharon, see the practitioner who made your orthotics. It sounds as though they need adjustment. Also, remember that it takes time to break them in and to become accustomed to them.

R C on 5/08/02 at 08:09 (083000)

I also had 4 weeks of non-removable cast. Afterwards, I could not bear any weight on my foot because the achilles tendon was very tender, and because my leg didn't seem to meet the ankle comfortably. I was told by the doctor that this is not unusual, and that is why casting must be followed by physical therapy. After 4 weeks of physical therapy (and gradually weaning off crutches) and continued exercises on my own, I have fully recovered.

Looking back, I think that the cast + PT approach was successful in that the damaged plantar fascia had a chance to heal completely.

In Sharon's case I would suggest talking to the Dr. about follow up physical therapy, plus crutches to prevent re-injury in the mean time. And try to find some way to stay off your feet for a while longer.

As for orthotics, I haven't had great success (will post separately).