Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

support sock

Posted by Rachel W. on 5/08/02 at 04:49 (082967)

My husband bought me this elasticated tubular support bandage. Can anyone give me any comments about it. Has anyone ever tried it? Could it be as good as taping?
Also, I thought I'd give you an update. Getting worse all the time. Walking around on knees now.

Re: support sock

Rachel W. on 5/08/02 at 04:56 (082968)

I must say though, I have stopped taking the Diclofenac since Monday. I felt a bit sick and faint on Monday and I thought it might be because of the pills. I don't like the thought of being on them all the time.

Steve M on 5/08/02 at 05:12 (082969)

Never heard of the support bandage being used for PF and I wouldn't think it would keep the foot as 'tight' as taping would. No doubt the Doc's will have a view.

Sorry to hear about your problem, do you find icing or stretching helps ?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/08/02 at 05:58 (082972)

Hi Rachel:

I have had patient's that have used a strapping with velcro on the top to hold it in place. This may fuction better. The tubular stocking may compress the extensor tendons yielding a tendonitis. I would be cautious. Have you been taking the Voltaren after meals?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Re: Sick?

Sharon W on 5/08/02 at 07:18 (082983)

Rachel,

Were you sick to your stomach?

-- Sharon

Rachel W. on 5/08/02 at 11:01 (083039)

Yes I have been taking the Diclofenac after meals and no I wasn't sick to the stomach. I felt more weak and dizzy than sick. It probably had nothing to do with it but I'm a bit frightened about the side effects of taking them. How long can I take them for? I mean if I go on like this for months or even years I would like to take something that won't damage another part of my body and make things worse for me.
As for the tubular sock I think my question has been answered. I'll go back to taping.
I'm icing and stretching. Doesn't seem to be helping though. Nothing does really but I suppose I should carry on anyway.

Re: cold leg and foot

Rachel W. on 5/08/02 at 15:49 (083101)

My left leg and foot, which isn't the original foot with PF, has become very cold in the past few hours. Is that normal? Do you still need to ice when that happens?

Re: Weak and dizzy

Sharon W on 5/09/02 at 02:13 (083161)

Rachel,

Can you not call your Dr. (or leave a message with his staff) that you quit taking the Diclofenac after meals because you've been feeling a bit weak and dizzy and you need to know if the Diclofenac could be at fault? While you're at it, you might as well ask how long he wants you to continue taking them, assuming he tells you it's safe to continue.

You've only been taking them for a few weeks, anyway, haven't you?

Yes, indeed, you may as well carry on in any case. It won't be too much longer now before you will hopefully receive a proper diagnosis and some effective treatment! And they may prescribe different medications for you at that time, as well.

-- Sharon

lisa k on 5/09/02 at 03:51 (083178)

hi Rachel, i recently ordered some ,should get them soon and will leet ya know my experience the round bandage type strap (ONE size) from otc drugstore hurt more than helped too tight i think

Rachel W. on 5/09/02 at 09:07 (083204)

Sharon,

A few weeks ago I spoke to my Doctor on the phone and told him that the Diclofenac didn't seem to be helping and that my foot was getting worse. He said that I should stop taking them as he was also concerned about the lining of my stomach. Anyway, a little while passed and my foot carried on getting worse so I started taking them again. The next Doctor I saw, which was last Friday, asked if I needed anymore. I said No, I still had enough, so I presumed it was safe to carry on taking them.
Since last Monday I stopped taking them again because of the dizzy and sicky feeling (probably nothing to do with the tablets) and I am still off them as I am paranoid that something else will go wrong with me.

Feeling a bit unlucky at the moment.

Rachel.

Carmen on 5/09/02 at 16:05 (083250)

Rachel
If a doctor tells you to stop taking something...you should stop completely and not go back on it until you make certain anyone dispensing medical advice knows what you felt like while you were taking the meds.
This could very well be your problem...on again off again....could be causing your issues.
Please keep us posted!!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 22:43 (083314)

I wonder if that's a bug that's going around. This morning as soon as the alarm rang I felt very dizzy and faint and couldn't even get dressed. I also had a slight sore throat. I had to call in sick because I couldn't even walk easily, much less drive like that. I couldn't sit up and had to lie down to keep the room from spinning. By the afternoon, I felt fine (and felt pretty stupid for calling in sick). I think maybe it was a virus that I shook off.

On the other hand, I completely understand your feelings about pills. I don't like taking them either if I don't have to.

Carole C

Re: Carmen

Rachel W. on 5/10/02 at 03:24 (083330)

Well, I'm staying off them now for good. I'm still icing and taping and just waiting for my appointment on the 14th May. Then maybe there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.

Rachel W. on 5/08/02 at 04:56 (082968)

I must say though, I have stopped taking the Diclofenac since Monday. I felt a bit sick and faint on Monday and I thought it might be because of the pills. I don't like the thought of being on them all the time.

Steve M on 5/08/02 at 05:12 (082969)

Never heard of the support bandage being used for PF and I wouldn't think it would keep the foot as 'tight' as taping would. No doubt the Doc's will have a view.

Sorry to hear about your problem, do you find icing or stretching helps ?

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/08/02 at 05:58 (082972)

Hi Rachel:

I have had patient's that have used a strapping with velcro on the top to hold it in place. This may fuction better. The tubular stocking may compress the extensor tendons yielding a tendonitis. I would be cautious. Have you been taking the Voltaren after meals?

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Sharon W on 5/08/02 at 07:18 (082983)

Rachel,

Were you sick to your stomach?

-- Sharon

Rachel W. on 5/08/02 at 11:01 (083039)

Yes I have been taking the Diclofenac after meals and no I wasn't sick to the stomach. I felt more weak and dizzy than sick. It probably had nothing to do with it but I'm a bit frightened about the side effects of taking them. How long can I take them for? I mean if I go on like this for months or even years I would like to take something that won't damage another part of my body and make things worse for me.
As for the tubular sock I think my question has been answered. I'll go back to taping.
I'm icing and stretching. Doesn't seem to be helping though. Nothing does really but I suppose I should carry on anyway.

Re: cold leg and foot

Rachel W. on 5/08/02 at 15:49 (083101)

My left leg and foot, which isn't the original foot with PF, has become very cold in the past few hours. Is that normal? Do you still need to ice when that happens?

Sharon W on 5/09/02 at 02:13 (083161)

Rachel,

Can you not call your Dr. (or leave a message with his staff) that you quit taking the Diclofenac after meals because you've been feeling a bit weak and dizzy and you need to know if the Diclofenac could be at fault? While you're at it, you might as well ask how long he wants you to continue taking them, assuming he tells you it's safe to continue.

You've only been taking them for a few weeks, anyway, haven't you?

Yes, indeed, you may as well carry on in any case. It won't be too much longer now before you will hopefully receive a proper diagnosis and some effective treatment! And they may prescribe different medications for you at that time, as well.

-- Sharon

lisa k on 5/09/02 at 03:51 (083178)

hi Rachel, i recently ordered some ,should get them soon and will leet ya know my experience the round bandage type strap (ONE size) from otc drugstore hurt more than helped too tight i think

Rachel W. on 5/09/02 at 09:07 (083204)

Sharon,

A few weeks ago I spoke to my Doctor on the phone and told him that the Diclofenac didn't seem to be helping and that my foot was getting worse. He said that I should stop taking them as he was also concerned about the lining of my stomach. Anyway, a little while passed and my foot carried on getting worse so I started taking them again. The next Doctor I saw, which was last Friday, asked if I needed anymore. I said No, I still had enough, so I presumed it was safe to carry on taking them.
Since last Monday I stopped taking them again because of the dizzy and sicky feeling (probably nothing to do with the tablets) and I am still off them as I am paranoid that something else will go wrong with me.

Feeling a bit unlucky at the moment.

Rachel.

Carmen on 5/09/02 at 16:05 (083250)

Rachel
If a doctor tells you to stop taking something...you should stop completely and not go back on it until you make certain anyone dispensing medical advice knows what you felt like while you were taking the meds.
This could very well be your problem...on again off again....could be causing your issues.
Please keep us posted!!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 22:43 (083314)

I wonder if that's a bug that's going around. This morning as soon as the alarm rang I felt very dizzy and faint and couldn't even get dressed. I also had a slight sore throat. I had to call in sick because I couldn't even walk easily, much less drive like that. I couldn't sit up and had to lie down to keep the room from spinning. By the afternoon, I felt fine (and felt pretty stupid for calling in sick). I think maybe it was a virus that I shook off.

On the other hand, I completely understand your feelings about pills. I don't like taking them either if I don't have to.

Carole C

Re: Carmen

Rachel W. on 5/10/02 at 03:24 (083330)

Well, I'm staying off them now for good. I'm still icing and taping and just waiting for my appointment on the 14th May. Then maybe there will be a light at the end of the tunnel.