Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Interesting statement on adhesions-mat explain tingling for some people.

Posted by Carmen on 5/08/02 at 09:49 (083021)

What are Adhesions?

Our bodies contain special protein structures called Fascia (connective tissue). Fascial tissue inter-connects all the components of your body, and acts as a flexible skeleton. When this tissue is healthy, it is smooth and slippery, allowing the muscles, nerves, blood vessels, or organs to move freely and function properly. Imagine a piece of scotch tape, the smooth side is healthy fascia, the sticky side is scar tissue or unhealthy fascia. Try rubbing both sides of the tape along your skin. The smooth side slips easily across your skin. The sticky side drags across your skin. The drag that you feel, the 'pulling' sensation is how an adhesion affects the smooth functioning of your body. Adhesions attach to muscles, decreasing their ability to work properly. You know you have an adhesion on a nerve if you get many abnormal sensations like numbness, tingling, or pain

Re: Interesting statement on adhesions-mat explain tingling for some people.

Julie on 5/08/02 at 09:56 (083023)

Carmen

That's a good explanation of adhesions. Where does it come from?

I love the scotch tape analogy. I'm always looking for ways of explaining stuff about the body to people/students, and this sort of thing helps a lot. I shall file scotch tape away in my mind for future use.

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 10:23 (083031)

eeeekkk. I should have written it down. I will let you know if I run across it again....It was from an ART search...
sorry I just search so fast I forget to keep track some times.

Sharon W on 5/08/02 at 12:17 (083057)

Julie,

Look at Carmen's post below (after Barbara's) under 'Donna and Sharon W: NST and ART'. There is a link there about ART. That quote is from the link. (It's a very interesting article on ART...)

-- Sharon

Re: Thanks Carmen :)

Pam B on 5/08/02 at 15:33 (083095)

Carmen, you sure do give us good and detailed info, what would we do without you??? I for one hope we never have to find out :)

How is that new truck of yours?????? lucky woman......I want an SUV but finances wont allow it right now so on down the road I go with my Intrepid :) I was also happy to hear you are fianlly going to be with hubby after all this time......I know that makes you happy :) you have my best wishes for a safe and happy move to go ole Tennessee :) GO VOLS GO !!!

Take care...Pam

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 18:22 (083118)

Thank you for the kind words...soemtimes I feel overwhelmed by how many times I see my name on here...but I just see so much in my searching that I think and hope will help my friends here I can't help to not post!!! :o)
I love the new 'rig'...love it! I used to drive a 95 Sentra....nicknamed the Frog for it's color andthe way I could hop hop hop into tiny little spaces, zip around the interstate of Atlanta zoom zoom!
NOW?
'I just gun it and say get out of my way! Here comes the Blue Goose!'

Trust me I drove that thing for 7 years...it took good care of me and not having payments was GREAT for a few years...but it was time for a new one.
Yes...hubby's new job is making a lot of things possible for us now.

Re: Good things to good people Carmen

Pam B on 5/08/02 at 20:17 (083135)

That is what I have always been told.......I bet the size difference takes some getting used to huh???? but it is an easy transition I'm sure :) you be careful out there......Blue Goose or not, crazy people on the roads today......

FYI.....your posts are always full of useful information.....keep em coming :)

Julie on 5/08/02 at 09:56 (083023)

Carmen

That's a good explanation of adhesions. Where does it come from?

I love the scotch tape analogy. I'm always looking for ways of explaining stuff about the body to people/students, and this sort of thing helps a lot. I shall file scotch tape away in my mind for future use.

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 10:23 (083031)

eeeekkk. I should have written it down. I will let you know if I run across it again....It was from an ART search...
sorry I just search so fast I forget to keep track some times.

Sharon W on 5/08/02 at 12:17 (083057)

Julie,

Look at Carmen's post below (after Barbara's) under 'Donna and Sharon W: NST and ART'. There is a link there about ART. That quote is from the link. (It's a very interesting article on ART...)

-- Sharon

Pam B on 5/08/02 at 15:33 (083095)

Carmen, you sure do give us good and detailed info, what would we do without you??? I for one hope we never have to find out :)

How is that new truck of yours?????? lucky woman......I want an SUV but finances wont allow it right now so on down the road I go with my Intrepid :) I was also happy to hear you are fianlly going to be with hubby after all this time......I know that makes you happy :) you have my best wishes for a safe and happy move to go ole Tennessee :) GO VOLS GO !!!

Take care...Pam

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 18:22 (083118)

Thank you for the kind words...soemtimes I feel overwhelmed by how many times I see my name on here...but I just see so much in my searching that I think and hope will help my friends here I can't help to not post!!! :o)
I love the new 'rig'...love it! I used to drive a 95 Sentra....nicknamed the Frog for it's color andthe way I could hop hop hop into tiny little spaces, zip around the interstate of Atlanta zoom zoom!
NOW?
'I just gun it and say get out of my way! Here comes the Blue Goose!'

Trust me I drove that thing for 7 years...it took good care of me and not having payments was GREAT for a few years...but it was time for a new one.
Yes...hubby's new job is making a lot of things possible for us now.

Re: Good things to good people Carmen

Pam B on 5/08/02 at 20:17 (083135)

That is what I have always been told.......I bet the size difference takes some getting used to huh???? but it is an easy transition I'm sure :) you be careful out there......Blue Goose or not, crazy people on the roads today......

FYI.....your posts are always full of useful information.....keep em coming :)