Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

D. Thomas

Posted by Carmen on 5/08/02 at 10:00 (083026)

Intersting information on fluid and inflammation

Inflammation

There are three phases of inflammation:

In the first phase, there is an increase in capillary permeability in the area of injury. This increase in permeability causes a corresponding increase in osmotic pressure, resulting in movement of protein and fluid from the blood vessels to the area of injury. This protective mechanism inhibits further tissue damage. (4)
In the next phase, fibrin begins to coagulate and becomes trapped resulting in fluid retention. This process, if continued, inhibits the bodies ability to initiate healing.(4)
In the final phase, fibrin and its cofactors break down. As a result osmotic pressure is decreased, this in turn decreases the associated pain. Obviously it is advantageous to reduce inappropriate inflammatory responses to break the pain cycle and initiate remodeling of connective tissue. (3,4)

Re: D. Thomas

D.Thomas on 5/08/02 at 11:51 (083051)

Thanks Carmen!

I am probabaly stuck in phase 2 and that is why I need to use compression.

Interesting about phase 2.

I can feel my feet getting new blood during and after my massage. I can also feel the increased flexibiltity. The next couple of days after the massage the pain gets worse probably resulting from the fluid retention. And this process inhibits the body from healing.

Sounds reasonable.

Andrue on 5/08/02 at 12:20 (083062)

I can't help wondering if I'm stuck in phase 2 as well. The worst of my PF was prior to Christmas when it affected my ability to walk somewhat. These days I just have to be slightly careful about pressure on the inside of my heel. I also found that an Epsom salt soak helped and the chiropodist that recommended it said it helped draw out excess fluid.

D.Thomas on 5/08/02 at 11:51 (083051)

Thanks Carmen!

I am probabaly stuck in phase 2 and that is why I need to use compression.

Interesting about phase 2.

I can feel my feet getting new blood during and after my massage. I can also feel the increased flexibiltity. The next couple of days after the massage the pain gets worse probably resulting from the fluid retention. And this process inhibits the body from healing.

Sounds reasonable.

Andrue on 5/08/02 at 12:20 (083062)

I can't help wondering if I'm stuck in phase 2 as well. The worst of my PF was prior to Christmas when it affected my ability to walk somewhat. These days I just have to be slightly careful about pressure on the inside of my heel. I also found that an Epsom salt soak helped and the chiropodist that recommended it said it helped draw out excess fluid.