Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need a show of feet, er ... hands.

Posted by NickR on 5/08/02 at 10:32 (083035)

On an earlier posting, I mentioned that my surgeon had me start a running program 39 days after performing an open partial PF release on my foot. Has anyone else either had a doctor recommend this rehab or do you know anyone else who has tried it? What was their outcome? Thanks for your input. Docs ... what do you think of this?

Re: Need a show of feet, er ... hands.

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 11:33 (083044)

I posted earlier....I can't imagine why anyone would have you run after this procedure...can't imagine it!

Pam B on 5/08/02 at 13:10 (083075)

Well, I cant imagine this type rehab either :( I had the same procedure done in Feb and am just now starting PT....if someone would have told me I had to run, I would have laughed in their face :) no way, no how, not in this lifetime.....I have enough trouble walking :) Good Luck to you

Carole C in NOLA on 5/08/02 at 16:26 (083107)

That doctor who wants you to run so soon is a goofball!!

Well, just an opinion.... (smile)

Might I suggest that you seek a second opinion from another DPM? A third?

Carole C

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 18:35 (083121)

p.s. Ask HIM why he had you run. Get it in writing.

Re: Okay, so it didn't work so well.

NickR on 5/08/02 at 20:01 (083132)

I do know why he wanted me to run; he wanted to try a new rehab technique that he thought up all by himself. His thinking was that, by putting my weight on my PF, it would stretch it/flatten it out. Unfortunately, I have had catastrophic results from his little test. My foot will never be the same and I have already had additional surgery to try and correct it (by another doctor). I will forever be haunted by this whole thing (obviously -- my foot will never be normal). But more than that, I am very curious to know if anyone, anywhere has ever had a surgeon recommend this type of rehab. It was -- walk on my foot the first day of surgery; start running on it 39 days later. Interestingly enough, although I had been a runner for many years in my 20's/30's, I hadn't run for about 10 years. It wasn't like I was begging him to let me do it. Has anyone else tried this or had it recommended to them by their surgeon? Thanks to everyone for their input.

Julie on 5/09/02 at 03:08 (083166)

Nick, I remembered that you told us in your first post a few days ago that the results of this goofy rehab idea had been disastrous. I can't answer your question, but I can tell you that in almost two years of reading almost every post at heelspurs.com I don't think I have ever read one from someone who was told to bear weight (walking) immediately following surgery, and on a running programme so soon. If there was one, I missed it. It sounds totally stupid. Did this doctor screw up the surgery too, or can't you tell?

And when did all this happen? Are you really quite sure that your foot will never be normal? I'm tempted to say 'don't give up hope', but as I don't know the full extent of your injuries I'll refrain from saying anything that might raise false hopes.

I feel extremely sad for you. But perhaps it is some tiny comfort to know that your experience, posted here, may be of some help to others.

lisa k on 5/09/02 at 03:45 (083177)

second and third that i tore major part of fascia and detachment just from overestretching......when they finally figured this out put me immobilized cam cast 24/7 w NO activies so it could heal proper places sounds strange to run right after a surgical procedure dont ya think lis k.

Re: Thanks for your thoughts, Julie

NickR on 5/09/02 at 10:42 (083210)

I have since had two additional operations on this foot; the last one a total reconstruction. Seven months postop for that one, I'm in more pain now than ever and am taking meds to control it. I've been to 12 different docs -- last one told me there is nothing more that can be done other than learn to deal with it and increase my medication. I'm not a meds kind of person, so am refusing to do so until it gets so bad I can't take it any more. Hopefully, my posting this will be remembered by others who ever have a surgeon push their recovery the way mine did to me.

Re: IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE??

NickR on 5/09/02 at 17:35 (083262)

Could I please get a doctor's opinion regarding this posting (please read the thread). I really appreciate your taking the time to let me know your thoughts and experience related to this type of rehabilitation. Have you ever heard of it and/or tried it on any of your patients? If so, could you let me know how they did? Thank you!

Julie on 5/10/02 at 01:24 (083319)

Hi Nick

I am really sorry to hear this, and you have my sympathies. It does sound as though you now have to learn to deal with chronic pain, and it isn't easy. But there is help with that.

First: no, you're not a meds person, and that's quite a 'hump' to get over, but maybe a little lateral thinking about that would be a good idea. Brian G. who posts here, is our expert on pain management, and has been very helpful to people in the past. If you can keep the pain at a certain acceptable, or at least tolerable, level, through regular use of medication, you'll be better able to carry on with your life and avoid depression. It's worth thinking about.

Also, there are pain management clinics - have you investigated that?

And, as a yoga teacher, I would encourage you to learn relaxation techniques, and a few simple breathing exercises. These things can help enormously to deal with pain, and indeed any big life challenge. Briefly, they calm the sympathetic nervous system and help enormously to restore balance and peace of mind.

Please let me know if I can be of any more help. You can email me if you like at (email removed), but I always think it's better to keep discussions on the board, because you never know who else they might be useful to.

Re: Nick: PS

Julie on 5/10/02 at 01:27 (083320)

Nick, if you want a doctor's response, I think you ought to re-post your question on a new thread. Sometimes, if they're away or just not around for a day or so, they miss a post. It's very easy to do now that there are so many!

If you're going to do this, re-tell the whole story, so that it's clear what you've been through and what you want to know.

But I seriously doubt that any of them will tell you that 'rehab' idea was a good one, or that they have ever recommended it themselves.

Re: You have certainly been through a lot

BrianG on 5/10/02 at 15:27 (083450)

Hi NickR,

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's an accident that no doctors will answer this particular question. It is too close to to being a malpractice case. There are Podiatrists that can be hired as expert witness's, if you decide to go that route. I don't think there is a person reading this, that would agree with your original doctor. I think you have to ask yourself how far you want to proceed with this. You haven't mentioned malpractice, but surely you must have thought about it, no?

About the pain meds, there is a big difference between NSAID's and narcotic type medication. If the pain has not completely taken over your life, I don't blame you for not wanting to take anything. I'm one of the people that finally reached a point where I could not go on without help from daily pain meds. If you want to talk, I have plenty of time. I do have access to quite a few websites that can help you with the decision making process. Please remember, chronic pain can, and will lead to depression. How long you wait for help, is up to you. Good luck

BrianG

DR Zuckerman on 5/10/02 at 17:02 (083456)

The obvious is the obvious. If you think you have an action you obtain a lawyer with an reputation as one that only takes a case that is true malpractice and then preceed with what you feel is justice

Tammie on 5/11/02 at 18:01 (083561)

Julie, I was told to bear weight when I got up the day after surgery.Just Not total weight and he expected me to be walking fine in 10 days. He said that is his normal time that people can walk or return to life as normal! I was not a runner ,but I dont believe he would have told me to run that soon. Tho he did say walking on it was very important so scar tissue would not build up. He seemed to be as worried about possible scar tissue as he was of popping stitches inside my foot. He reminded me often that they were there even if I didnt see them they were inside!

I think Nick that someone somewhere didnt fully understand the what ifs or is it worth expiermenting on Your foot! He had a lot of nerve to do something that could have and seems to have done much more damage! I hope you get some answers so that this does not happen to any other person!

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 11:33 (083044)

I posted earlier....I can't imagine why anyone would have you run after this procedure...can't imagine it!

Pam B on 5/08/02 at 13:10 (083075)

Well, I cant imagine this type rehab either :( I had the same procedure done in Feb and am just now starting PT....if someone would have told me I had to run, I would have laughed in their face :) no way, no how, not in this lifetime.....I have enough trouble walking :) Good Luck to you

Carole C in NOLA on 5/08/02 at 16:26 (083107)

That doctor who wants you to run so soon is a goofball!!

Well, just an opinion.... (smile)

Might I suggest that you seek a second opinion from another DPM? A third?

Carole C

Carmen on 5/08/02 at 18:35 (083121)

p.s. Ask HIM why he had you run. Get it in writing.

NickR on 5/08/02 at 20:01 (083132)

I do know why he wanted me to run; he wanted to try a new rehab technique that he thought up all by himself. His thinking was that, by putting my weight on my PF, it would stretch it/flatten it out. Unfortunately, I have had catastrophic results from his little test. My foot will never be the same and I have already had additional surgery to try and correct it (by another doctor). I will forever be haunted by this whole thing (obviously -- my foot will never be normal). But more than that, I am very curious to know if anyone, anywhere has ever had a surgeon recommend this type of rehab. It was -- walk on my foot the first day of surgery; start running on it 39 days later. Interestingly enough, although I had been a runner for many years in my 20's/30's, I hadn't run for about 10 years. It wasn't like I was begging him to let me do it. Has anyone else tried this or had it recommended to them by their surgeon? Thanks to everyone for their input.

Julie on 5/09/02 at 03:08 (083166)

Nick, I remembered that you told us in your first post a few days ago that the results of this goofy rehab idea had been disastrous. I can't answer your question, but I can tell you that in almost two years of reading almost every post at heelspurs.com I don't think I have ever read one from someone who was told to bear weight (walking) immediately following surgery, and on a running programme so soon. If there was one, I missed it. It sounds totally stupid. Did this doctor screw up the surgery too, or can't you tell?

And when did all this happen? Are you really quite sure that your foot will never be normal? I'm tempted to say 'don't give up hope', but as I don't know the full extent of your injuries I'll refrain from saying anything that might raise false hopes.

I feel extremely sad for you. But perhaps it is some tiny comfort to know that your experience, posted here, may be of some help to others.

lisa k on 5/09/02 at 03:45 (083177)

second and third that i tore major part of fascia and detachment just from overestretching......when they finally figured this out put me immobilized cam cast 24/7 w NO activies so it could heal proper places sounds strange to run right after a surgical procedure dont ya think lis k.

NickR on 5/09/02 at 10:42 (083210)

I have since had two additional operations on this foot; the last one a total reconstruction. Seven months postop for that one, I'm in more pain now than ever and am taking meds to control it. I've been to 12 different docs -- last one told me there is nothing more that can be done other than learn to deal with it and increase my medication. I'm not a meds kind of person, so am refusing to do so until it gets so bad I can't take it any more. Hopefully, my posting this will be remembered by others who ever have a surgeon push their recovery the way mine did to me.

Re: IS THERE A DOCTOR IN THE HOUSE??

NickR on 5/09/02 at 17:35 (083262)

Could I please get a doctor's opinion regarding this posting (please read the thread). I really appreciate your taking the time to let me know your thoughts and experience related to this type of rehabilitation. Have you ever heard of it and/or tried it on any of your patients? If so, could you let me know how they did? Thank you!

Julie on 5/10/02 at 01:24 (083319)

Hi Nick

I am really sorry to hear this, and you have my sympathies. It does sound as though you now have to learn to deal with chronic pain, and it isn't easy. But there is help with that.

First: no, you're not a meds person, and that's quite a 'hump' to get over, but maybe a little lateral thinking about that would be a good idea. Brian G. who posts here, is our expert on pain management, and has been very helpful to people in the past. If you can keep the pain at a certain acceptable, or at least tolerable, level, through regular use of medication, you'll be better able to carry on with your life and avoid depression. It's worth thinking about.

Also, there are pain management clinics - have you investigated that?

And, as a yoga teacher, I would encourage you to learn relaxation techniques, and a few simple breathing exercises. These things can help enormously to deal with pain, and indeed any big life challenge. Briefly, they calm the sympathetic nervous system and help enormously to restore balance and peace of mind.

Please let me know if I can be of any more help. You can email me if you like at (email removed), but I always think it's better to keep discussions on the board, because you never know who else they might be useful to.

Re: Nick: PS

Julie on 5/10/02 at 01:27 (083320)

Nick, if you want a doctor's response, I think you ought to re-post your question on a new thread. Sometimes, if they're away or just not around for a day or so, they miss a post. It's very easy to do now that there are so many!

If you're going to do this, re-tell the whole story, so that it's clear what you've been through and what you want to know.

But I seriously doubt that any of them will tell you that 'rehab' idea was a good one, or that they have ever recommended it themselves.

BrianG on 5/10/02 at 15:27 (083450)

Hi NickR,

I could be wrong, but I don't think it's an accident that no doctors will answer this particular question. It is too close to to being a malpractice case. There are Podiatrists that can be hired as expert witness's, if you decide to go that route. I don't think there is a person reading this, that would agree with your original doctor. I think you have to ask yourself how far you want to proceed with this. You haven't mentioned malpractice, but surely you must have thought about it, no?

About the pain meds, there is a big difference between NSAID's and narcotic type medication. If the pain has not completely taken over your life, I don't blame you for not wanting to take anything. I'm one of the people that finally reached a point where I could not go on without help from daily pain meds. If you want to talk, I have plenty of time. I do have access to quite a few websites that can help you with the decision making process. Please remember, chronic pain can, and will lead to depression. How long you wait for help, is up to you. Good luck

BrianG

DR Zuckerman on 5/10/02 at 17:02 (083456)

The obvious is the obvious. If you think you have an action you obtain a lawyer with an reputation as one that only takes a case that is true malpractice and then preceed with what you feel is justice

Tammie on 5/11/02 at 18:01 (083561)

Julie, I was told to bear weight when I got up the day after surgery.Just Not total weight and he expected me to be walking fine in 10 days. He said that is his normal time that people can walk or return to life as normal! I was not a runner ,but I dont believe he would have told me to run that soon. Tho he did say walking on it was very important so scar tissue would not build up. He seemed to be as worried about possible scar tissue as he was of popping stitches inside my foot. He reminded me often that they were there even if I didnt see them they were inside!

I think Nick that someone somewhere didnt fully understand the what ifs or is it worth expiermenting on Your foot! He had a lot of nerve to do something that could have and seems to have done much more damage! I hope you get some answers so that this does not happen to any other person!