Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Need a show of feet, er ... hands.

Posted by NickR on 5/08/02 at 10:33 (083037)

On an earlier posting to the physicians' board, I mentioned that my surgeon had me start a running program 39 days after performing an open partial PF release on my foot. Has anyone else either had a doctor recommend this rehab or do you know anyone else who has tried it? What was their outcome? Thanks for your input.

Re: Need a show of feet, er ... hands.

john h on 5/08/02 at 11:38 (083048)

Did it work Nick? Sounds crazy to me but if it worked for you then maybe the Doc is a wise man.

Kevin I on 5/08/02 at 12:36 (083065)

Holy cow Nick. That's great if it works. I'll be darn happy if I'm walking close to normal in 39 days. I have seen other posts where people have said they started running / aerobics etc. I don't remember the time frame but 39 days seems shorter than most of the posts I recall reading. Just keep digging back in the dates and you'll find others exercising rather quickly. I would imagine if you're young, light weight, atheletic, and a very fast healer this might be Okay.

Re: No, it didn't work.

NickR on 5/08/02 at 12:41 (083069)

I had additional surgery after this 'rehab'. My foot is far worse now than it ever was prior to the original surgery, and will likely never be normal. I personally don't recommend this to anyone. Why am I asking this question to begin with? Hint: Starts with the letter 'L'. I am curious to know if this is within the standard of anyone's care.

john h on 5/08/02 at 19:07 (083127)

I would be very supprised if it was in anyone's standard of care Nick.

Julie on 5/09/02 at 03:23 (083171)

Kevin, please see the other thread Nick started, where he reminded us that his foot was totally messed up by this idiotic 'rehab' programme. It is not OK. DON'T get your hopes up. Healing from surgery can take up to a year. Please give your healing all the time it needs, and don't expect to be 'walking normally' in 39 days.

Karen G. on 5/09/02 at 07:05 (083189)

I had mine done on March 4th, 2002. I was told to not even consider playing golf until mid June! I was told I could swing a golf club next week, which is more than 2 months post surgery. I really want to play, but I agree with his course of treatment. Did you get a return of your presurgery pain?
Good Luck.

john h on 5/09/02 at 10:15 (083208)

Karen I love golf but have really not played much since PF. Do be careful because as you know when you swing you you rise up on one foot and are on your toes on the other foot. You then torque your feet on follow through. I guess you could play flatfooted but you will look like a sissy golfer. WE have a new golf store in town named 'Women's Empowered Golf'. Sounds like a place you would like to visit. If you play be sure and stay out of the sand traps, woods, and water and beware up hill and down hill lies. Now go play golf Karen and hit one for me.

Karen G. on 5/09/02 at 12:41 (083222)

Hey John, thanks for the info. I really can't play till after June 11th, providing my Dr. visit that day goes well. Next week I can swing the club, but in my back yard! At times, now 2 months post surgery, I do experience the same kind of pain I had before the PF and TTS. It does, however, go away. I guess it's ok as long as it doesn't last. Has that happened to you at all?

trish e on 5/09/02 at 13:08 (083228)

great ! i had the tss and the fassia done 2/26/2002 and i had to go in yesterday and he now has me in a air cast 24/7.hope things continue going well.

J. King on 5/10/02 at 09:04 (083364)

Now I am convinced that PF surgery is a bad idea. My feet hurt like hell
but I am not going to let anyone cut on them. This disability helped get me kicked out of the postal service but I don't want to be worse off than I am now. PF is an inflamation type disease. The more you walk, run, stand the more inflamed your PF gets. How is cutting going to help that? I have heard alot of folks on this list say that surgery has made them worse and few who say it made them better.

Re: Surgery is the last resort, but there are successful surgeries. J King

Julie on 5/10/02 at 10:42 (083380)

...but don't forget that we don't hear the success stories. There are successful surgeries, but the people who have had them aren't posting here any more, they've gone back to their lives and are - hopefully - enjoying themselves.

john h on 5/08/02 at 11:38 (083048)

Did it work Nick? Sounds crazy to me but if it worked for you then maybe the Doc is a wise man.

Kevin I on 5/08/02 at 12:36 (083065)

Holy cow Nick. That's great if it works. I'll be darn happy if I'm walking close to normal in 39 days. I have seen other posts where people have said they started running / aerobics etc. I don't remember the time frame but 39 days seems shorter than most of the posts I recall reading. Just keep digging back in the dates and you'll find others exercising rather quickly. I would imagine if you're young, light weight, atheletic, and a very fast healer this might be Okay.

NickR on 5/08/02 at 12:41 (083069)

I had additional surgery after this 'rehab'. My foot is far worse now than it ever was prior to the original surgery, and will likely never be normal. I personally don't recommend this to anyone. Why am I asking this question to begin with? Hint: Starts with the letter 'L'. I am curious to know if this is within the standard of anyone's care.

john h on 5/08/02 at 19:07 (083127)

I would be very supprised if it was in anyone's standard of care Nick.

Julie on 5/09/02 at 03:23 (083171)

Kevin, please see the other thread Nick started, where he reminded us that his foot was totally messed up by this idiotic 'rehab' programme. It is not OK. DON'T get your hopes up. Healing from surgery can take up to a year. Please give your healing all the time it needs, and don't expect to be 'walking normally' in 39 days.

Karen G. on 5/09/02 at 07:05 (083189)

I had mine done on March 4th, 2002. I was told to not even consider playing golf until mid June! I was told I could swing a golf club next week, which is more than 2 months post surgery. I really want to play, but I agree with his course of treatment. Did you get a return of your presurgery pain?
Good Luck.

john h on 5/09/02 at 10:15 (083208)

Karen I love golf but have really not played much since PF. Do be careful because as you know when you swing you you rise up on one foot and are on your toes on the other foot. You then torque your feet on follow through. I guess you could play flatfooted but you will look like a sissy golfer. WE have a new golf store in town named 'Women's Empowered Golf'. Sounds like a place you would like to visit. If you play be sure and stay out of the sand traps, woods, and water and beware up hill and down hill lies. Now go play golf Karen and hit one for me.

Karen G. on 5/09/02 at 12:41 (083222)

Hey John, thanks for the info. I really can't play till after June 11th, providing my Dr. visit that day goes well. Next week I can swing the club, but in my back yard! At times, now 2 months post surgery, I do experience the same kind of pain I had before the PF and TTS. It does, however, go away. I guess it's ok as long as it doesn't last. Has that happened to you at all?

trish e on 5/09/02 at 13:08 (083228)

great ! i had the tss and the fassia done 2/26/2002 and i had to go in yesterday and he now has me in a air cast 24/7.hope things continue going well.

J. King on 5/10/02 at 09:04 (083364)

Now I am convinced that PF surgery is a bad idea. My feet hurt like hell
but I am not going to let anyone cut on them. This disability helped get me kicked out of the postal service but I don't want to be worse off than I am now. PF is an inflamation type disease. The more you walk, run, stand the more inflamed your PF gets. How is cutting going to help that? I have heard alot of folks on this list say that surgery has made them worse and few who say it made them better.

Re: Surgery is the last resort, but there are successful surgeries. J King

Julie on 5/10/02 at 10:42 (083380)

...but don't forget that we don't hear the success stories. There are successful surgeries, but the people who have had them aren't posting here any more, they've gone back to their lives and are - hopefully - enjoying themselves.