Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

hag;imds deformity

Posted by marilou g on 5/08/02 at 14:18 (083088)

I have been a walker for over 12 years and all of a sudden the podiatrist says I have Haglund's deformity and that surgery would make it worse. He told me to keep walking and use the shoe inserts. The pain is getting worse. It does not hurt when I walk but after sitting awhile or getting up first thing in the morning, the pain is excruciating. Please help.
Thank you,

Re: haglund's deformity

mary lou on 5/08/02 at 14:24 (083089)

I have been a 3 mi. a day walker for over 12 years and have now been diagnosed with haglund's deformity on my right foot. The doctor said surgery would make the condition worse. The pain is getting worse. It does not hurt when I walk, but afterwards after sitting awhile or getting up in the mornings - the pain is excruciating. Is surgery an option? Should I get another opinion? Should I do another form of excercise? Please help! Do I need another doctor's opinion?
Please help. Thank you.

Dr. J. Cione on 5/08/02 at 16:28 (083108)

I think a 2nd opinion would be very helpful. Your symptoms don't correlate with a Haglunds deformity, so I am a bit confused. If it is a Haglunds deformity, usually surgery is very helpful. Anyhow, I would exhaust all conservative treatment before any surgery is discussed.

lisa k on 5/09/02 at 03:37 (083175)

could you adress symptoms causes and age groups of this condition briefly, thanks :)

mary lou on 5/08/02 at 14:24 (083089)

I have been a 3 mi. a day walker for over 12 years and have now been diagnosed with haglund's deformity on my right foot. The doctor said surgery would make the condition worse. The pain is getting worse. It does not hurt when I walk, but afterwards after sitting awhile or getting up in the mornings - the pain is excruciating. Is surgery an option? Should I get another opinion? Should I do another form of excercise? Please help! Do I need another doctor's opinion?
Please help. Thank you.

Dr. J. Cione on 5/08/02 at 16:28 (083108)

I think a 2nd opinion would be very helpful. Your symptoms don't correlate with a Haglunds deformity, so I am a bit confused. If it is a Haglunds deformity, usually surgery is very helpful. Anyhow, I would exhaust all conservative treatment before any surgery is discussed.

lisa k on 5/09/02 at 03:37 (083175)

could you adress symptoms causes and age groups of this condition briefly, thanks :)