Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

long term effects of cortizone shots

Posted by Patricia C on 5/08/02 at 20:44 (083138)

I am currently seeing a podiatrist and have been for about one year on this paticular problem Plantar Facitis. I have had a total of about 6 cortizones shots in the heal which is very painful but the after effects works great for awhile. I also have been wearing arch supports for approximately 5 years and have recently had a new pair made. What are the long term effects of these shots? I would like to put off having surgery since I do not have an arch at all.

Thank you

Re: long term effects of cortizone shots

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/08/02 at 20:50 (083139)

Hi Patricia:

I personsally believe that multiple injections are not a good idea. Over time you actually weaken the band. I agree put off surgery but address your problem. Are you actively or passively stretching. Night splints work great. If not looking for surgery consider ESWT. The results are very high and it is non-invassive. If you would like information I will be happy to send it out to you. I hope this info helps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli

Re: long term effects of cortizone shots

Dr. John Cozzarelli on 5/08/02 at 20:50 (083139)

Hi Patricia:

I personsally believe that multiple injections are not a good idea. Over time you actually weaken the band. I agree put off surgery but address your problem. Are you actively or passively stretching. Night splints work great. If not looking for surgery consider ESWT. The results are very high and it is non-invassive. If you would like information I will be happy to send it out to you. I hope this info helps.

Dr. John Cozzarelli