Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

note to Rachel

Posted by Ellen J. on 5/09/02 at 07:10 (083190)

Hi Rachel,
Am posting an answer to your note here, as the thread has been pushed to the next page by now and I wasn't sure if you would see it.
Unless I have my information wrong, a supinator is one who typically has high arches and in addtion their feet tend to roll to the outside when they walk rather than to the inside, as an overpronater would do. Your pain is on the outside of the heel, and it made me wonder if that had anything to do with supination. Now again, I may be giving misinformation, so someone out there please correct me if I'm wrong: This is pure speculation, but if a person tends to supinate (which means they don't pronate enough), then would any orthotics be bad for that type of foot? I am presuming that orthotics correct an overpronation problem when I say this and again, could be wrong. If the orthotics are keeping you from pronating and your feet are already not pronating enough, then are they aggravating the situation? Anyway, I wonder if you discussed that with your pod, what they would say about that. I would also be interested to hear what any doctors on this board might think.
Re; your other question, I had the P.F. for 2 yrs and had been able to keep it at a moderate level once I found the right shoe/orthotic combo. It would flare up if I tried to wear any other shoes. At about the 2.5 year mark, I tried on yet another pair of shoes, hoping I could find something to wear to the gym and suddenly the P.F. was in my other foot. Then I was housebound for 2 weeks, got better, did something else that was wrong and was housebound for another 2 weeks. Then I tried Celebrex (normal doasage) and got symptoms resembling kidney damage. UTI symptoms and a mouthful of canker sores. I cannot eat much at all and feel lousy. Am going to the doctor this AM for kidney/liver workup. So it does certainly get depressing but I still feel there is a light at the end of the tunnel if we persist. No more pain meds for me, however. I would rather have my kidneys than my feet.
Ellen J.

Re: note to Rachel

Rachel W. on 5/09/02 at 08:53 (083202)

Ellen,

When I go the foot clinic on 14th May, in the letter they said that they will take roughly 40 minutes examining me and I'm to bring a pair of shorts, so hopefully they'll be able to detect what it is exactly.
It makes sense what you say as my problem started on the outside of my heel in the first foot then the pain spread all over the heel and now the arch hurts like bad cramp if I try to walk. And now the outside of the heel hurts in my second foot.
I've stopped taking my anti-inflammatory tablets as I too don't want to get any more problems with other parts of my body, like my kidneys or stomach, etc.

I hope you feel better soon. Take care.

Rachel.

Re: arches, etc.

Ellen J. on 5/09/02 at 14:35 (083240)

Great that the doctors are actually taking some time to check your feet thoroughly! Have you considered renting crutches from a medical supply store for now? I may do that next time I get a flare-up Ouch, I'm so sorry your feet hurt that much.
Ellen

Rachel W. on 5/10/02 at 03:18 (083328)

Ellen,

Good idea about the crutches. I live in the U.K. so I might be able to get them free off the NHS. No harm in trying.

Thanks.

Rachel.

Re: note to Rachel

Rachel W. on 5/09/02 at 08:53 (083202)

Ellen,

When I go the foot clinic on 14th May, in the letter they said that they will take roughly 40 minutes examining me and I'm to bring a pair of shorts, so hopefully they'll be able to detect what it is exactly.
It makes sense what you say as my problem started on the outside of my heel in the first foot then the pain spread all over the heel and now the arch hurts like bad cramp if I try to walk. And now the outside of the heel hurts in my second foot.
I've stopped taking my anti-inflammatory tablets as I too don't want to get any more problems with other parts of my body, like my kidneys or stomach, etc.

I hope you feel better soon. Take care.

Rachel.

Ellen J. on 5/09/02 at 14:35 (083240)

Great that the doctors are actually taking some time to check your feet thoroughly! Have you considered renting crutches from a medical supply store for now? I may do that next time I get a flare-up Ouch, I'm so sorry your feet hurt that much.
Ellen

Rachel W. on 5/10/02 at 03:18 (083328)

Ellen,

Good idea about the crutches. I live in the U.K. so I might be able to get them free off the NHS. No harm in trying.

Thanks.

Rachel.