Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

anyone who's had ESWT

Posted by Carmen on 5/09/02 at 08:17 (083198)

Okay guys...tell me what to expect. I understand the shot for numbing the foot is marcaine?? Is this true? If so I have had this shot before...and it hurts like hell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: anyone who's had ESWT

Pete R on 5/09/02 at 11:46 (083219)

Carmen, think yourself lucky you are having an anethestic, I've just had ESWT with 2700 shocks and no anethestic.......and it hurt !!! However, pain passes very quickly once treatment finishes. Sure you'll be fine.

Brendan F on 5/09/02 at 12:12 (083220)

I've had it 2X. It doesn't hurt much at all....it's annoying - but I'd gladly put up with the annoyance. I didn't have any shots for numbing

dave on 5/09/02 at 13:15 (083230)

wow, i had it done and there is no way that i could of gone through the whole procedure without the block. It was still painful with the block. Dont be a tough guy. I had the procedure done at dr. z's office with the Dornier high power machine. that was 6 weeks ago. I am doing ok. Part of my heels feel better and part of it is about 10% worse. I believe that this is part of the heeling process. At least i hope it is. i still have a long way to go before i can say if it has helped or not. I will however have it done again if i dont see results after 16 weeks. Be very careful Carmen. You will feel better the first couple of days. Dont over due it.You have waited this long you can wait another 16 weeks to see the results.

AmyM on 5/09/02 at 13:36 (083234)

Pete R
Glad to hear you had the ESWT and that the pain passed quickly! Fingers crossed....

DavidP on 5/09/02 at 14:11 (083237)

I had ESWT performed by Dr. Z last week, and the injection for the local anesthesia did not hurt - Dr. Z was very gentle. Before ESWT, my pain level was a base 10. The night after the procedure, the level rose temporarily to a 13-14, but subsided shortly thereafter to a 10. Overall, the pain hasn't improved yet, but it has only been one week.

JudyS on 5/09/02 at 16:11 (083255)

Carmen, I had a numbing injection by Dr. Z - it pretty much blocked all feeling in my feet. And I don't remember the shot itself hurting much unless I'm in denial!

Re: Thanks all

Carmen on 5/09/02 at 17:51 (083270)

I will have two toddlers running about for a week about 4 days after the treatment. I am worried that I will be in worse pain after the treatment. I can not have that. CAN'T.

BrianG on 5/09/02 at 18:47 (083287)

Carmen,

Get the treatment, worry about the kids later. This is your big chance, go for it. The pain injection was nothing like cortisone shots I've had in the past, it was almost painless. Plus, you can ask the doc to spray a little 'freeze' on your skin first.

Good luck
BrianG

AndrewS on 5/09/02 at 19:07 (083294)

I had it by Dr. Z 6 weeks ago. I watched MaryBeth go before me and saw her get a shot and thought ' I won't need one.' After a few hundred pulses, I thought differently!!!!

Get the shot. Its nothing. I felt it even after the shot, and could NOT have done without it.

PS: I had the procedure done on the O machine.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 21:11 (083307)

Carmen, rent a few video tapes that they will really want to see. Get them toys or something to keep them busy. It's only money, and for a few bucks you can find something to keep them occupied. Consider it part of the cost of surgery. Also, get a friend to help babysit them while you are recovering. You probably will not need it, but like the boy scouts you might as well be prepared. You can do this!

Carole C

Julie on 5/10/02 at 02:22 (083324)

Carmen, you'll probably be perfectly ok and able to cope, but mightn't it be a good idea to re-schedule the toddlers? That sounds like bad timing. And like something I would need all my strength, health, faculties etc for.

JudyS on 5/10/02 at 06:59 (083338)

Carmen, I think John h is in email touch with the Dornier expert in Australia - maybe you could email him to get an idea of what to expect post-treatment.

Carmen on 5/10/02 at 07:29 (083343)

Not even remotely possible. They are coming from 10 1/2 hours away....my sister and her husband are going away for their 10th anniversary....
They based their whole vacation (reservations and all on My and hubby taking the kids.)
The GOOD thing is....they are toddlers now and don't need to be picked up all the time.
oh well...

john h on 5/10/02 at 11:45 (083399)

Carmen: send me your email address and I will send you Brains address in Australia. Brian has operated the Dornier for some years and really knows his stuff. He will be glad to answer your questions. (email removed)

Jen R on 5/13/02 at 19:28 (083748)

Carmen,

I had ESWT done twice by Dr. Z. The first time I had the shots to numb my foot. The shots were a piece of cake but the feeling of both feet being numb was really wierd. It was like standing on two blocks of stone that weren't connected to my body. The second time was without anesthetic. Piece of cake. I had my ESWT done with the O and every once in awhile I'd get a pretty good zap which made me jump. But for the most part, I'd do it that way again if I had another treatment. Maybe the Dornier is more powerful but you'd have to ask Dr. Z that question.

Pete R on 5/09/02 at 11:46 (083219)

Carmen, think yourself lucky you are having an anethestic, I've just had ESWT with 2700 shocks and no anethestic.......and it hurt !!! However, pain passes very quickly once treatment finishes. Sure you'll be fine.

Brendan F on 5/09/02 at 12:12 (083220)

I've had it 2X. It doesn't hurt much at all....it's annoying - but I'd gladly put up with the annoyance. I didn't have any shots for numbing

dave on 5/09/02 at 13:15 (083230)

wow, i had it done and there is no way that i could of gone through the whole procedure without the block. It was still painful with the block. Dont be a tough guy. I had the procedure done at dr. z's office with the Dornier high power machine. that was 6 weeks ago. I am doing ok. Part of my heels feel better and part of it is about 10% worse. I believe that this is part of the heeling process. At least i hope it is. i still have a long way to go before i can say if it has helped or not. I will however have it done again if i dont see results after 16 weeks. Be very careful Carmen. You will feel better the first couple of days. Dont over due it.You have waited this long you can wait another 16 weeks to see the results.

AmyM on 5/09/02 at 13:36 (083234)

Pete R
Glad to hear you had the ESWT and that the pain passed quickly! Fingers crossed....

DavidP on 5/09/02 at 14:11 (083237)

I had ESWT performed by Dr. Z last week, and the injection for the local anesthesia did not hurt - Dr. Z was very gentle. Before ESWT, my pain level was a base 10. The night after the procedure, the level rose temporarily to a 13-14, but subsided shortly thereafter to a 10. Overall, the pain hasn't improved yet, but it has only been one week.

JudyS on 5/09/02 at 16:11 (083255)

Carmen, I had a numbing injection by Dr. Z - it pretty much blocked all feeling in my feet. And I don't remember the shot itself hurting much unless I'm in denial!

Carmen on 5/09/02 at 17:51 (083270)

I will have two toddlers running about for a week about 4 days after the treatment. I am worried that I will be in worse pain after the treatment. I can not have that. CAN'T.

BrianG on 5/09/02 at 18:47 (083287)

Carmen,

Get the treatment, worry about the kids later. This is your big chance, go for it. The pain injection was nothing like cortisone shots I've had in the past, it was almost painless. Plus, you can ask the doc to spray a little 'freeze' on your skin first.

Good luck
BrianG

AndrewS on 5/09/02 at 19:07 (083294)

I had it by Dr. Z 6 weeks ago. I watched MaryBeth go before me and saw her get a shot and thought ' I won't need one.' After a few hundred pulses, I thought differently!!!!

Get the shot. Its nothing. I felt it even after the shot, and could NOT have done without it.

PS: I had the procedure done on the O machine.

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 21:11 (083307)

Carmen, rent a few video tapes that they will really want to see. Get them toys or something to keep them busy. It's only money, and for a few bucks you can find something to keep them occupied. Consider it part of the cost of surgery. Also, get a friend to help babysit them while you are recovering. You probably will not need it, but like the boy scouts you might as well be prepared. You can do this!

Carole C

Julie on 5/10/02 at 02:22 (083324)

Carmen, you'll probably be perfectly ok and able to cope, but mightn't it be a good idea to re-schedule the toddlers? That sounds like bad timing. And like something I would need all my strength, health, faculties etc for.

JudyS on 5/10/02 at 06:59 (083338)

Carmen, I think John h is in email touch with the Dornier expert in Australia - maybe you could email him to get an idea of what to expect post-treatment.

Carmen on 5/10/02 at 07:29 (083343)

Not even remotely possible. They are coming from 10 1/2 hours away....my sister and her husband are going away for their 10th anniversary....
They based their whole vacation (reservations and all on My and hubby taking the kids.)
The GOOD thing is....they are toddlers now and don't need to be picked up all the time.
oh well...

john h on 5/10/02 at 11:45 (083399)

Carmen: send me your email address and I will send you Brains address in Australia. Brian has operated the Dornier for some years and really knows his stuff. He will be glad to answer your questions. (email removed)

Jen R on 5/13/02 at 19:28 (083748)

Carmen,

I had ESWT done twice by Dr. Z. The first time I had the shots to numb my foot. The shots were a piece of cake but the feeling of both feet being numb was really wierd. It was like standing on two blocks of stone that weren't connected to my body. The second time was without anesthetic. Piece of cake. I had my ESWT done with the O and every once in awhile I'd get a pretty good zap which made me jump. But for the most part, I'd do it that way again if I had another treatment. Maybe the Dornier is more powerful but you'd have to ask Dr. Z that question.