Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Best Ice Packs, anyone?

Posted by EKC on 5/09/02 at 12:21 (083221)

Can anyone reccommend some (brand-name) ice packs which will chill through very thick post-op bandages?
Also, they must not get the bandages wet! I'm having foot surgery next week and need to get them soon.

Re: Best Ice Packs, anyone?

Karen G. on 5/09/02 at 12:44 (083223)

I have had a lot of success with the Tru-Fit hot cold wraps. I used them constantly after my PF and TTS. My bandage stayed dry at all times and the cold did get through my thick compression bandages. Good luck!

john h on 5/10/02 at 11:48 (083404)

Chilling through a thick layer of bandages will be tought. Most drugstores have Ace type ice packs that are elastic and use velcro tape and are big enough to go around a bandage. Only cost a few dollars and you can put them just about any place on your foot and they will stay there.

Kevin I on 5/10/02 at 12:30 (083416)

EKC: I used the ACE re-freezable packs that John mentioned. I bought a couple of the large ones $9-$10 each I think. I really couldn't get the cold to the surgery area because the splint I'm in covered it. I just wrapped it on top of my foot and it still felt pretty good. The ACE PACK DID NOT SWEAT. However it's been a cool spring where I live.

Karen G. on 5/09/02 at 12:44 (083223)

I have had a lot of success with the Tru-Fit hot cold wraps. I used them constantly after my PF and TTS. My bandage stayed dry at all times and the cold did get through my thick compression bandages. Good luck!

john h on 5/10/02 at 11:48 (083404)

Chilling through a thick layer of bandages will be tought. Most drugstores have Ace type ice packs that are elastic and use velcro tape and are big enough to go around a bandage. Only cost a few dollars and you can put them just about any place on your foot and they will stay there.

Kevin I on 5/10/02 at 12:30 (083416)

EKC: I used the ACE re-freezable packs that John mentioned. I bought a couple of the large ones $9-$10 each I think. I really couldn't get the cold to the surgery area because the splint I'm in covered it. I just wrapped it on top of my foot and it still felt pretty good. The ACE PACK DID NOT SWEAT. However it's been a cool spring where I live.