Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Pink area and slight bump in inner heel right before arch area

Posted by Mahatmelissama on 5/09/02 at 13:06 (083227)

I noticed this last night (my feet were really sore). I had the PT look at this today and he thought it might be the shoe rubbing against my foot, but we checked and it isn't. He did take some extra time to massage the area and use ultrasound (ahhhhhh) and it feels better.

I did over do the standing last weekend and sometimes this week...I just wonder if any of you have a pink tender area, sort of puffy like this. It may have always been there and I never noticed...I don't know.

Re: Pink area and slight bump in inner heel right before arch area

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 13:13 (083229)

I don't have anything like that. That's really strange. Maybe it's something your doctor should check out, if it doesn't go away soon.

Carole C

Re: on the other hand

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 13:21 (083231)

On the other hand, right in front of my heel from the outer (lateral) edge of the heel towards the middle, is a bump which I think may be the insertion point. It does swell and act up if I overdo and so on. But I got the impression you were talking about the inner (medial) side instead.

Carole C

Re: inner heel, about an inch or so below ankle bone

Ellen J. on 5/09/02 at 15:01 (083242)

When I've really overdone it, I get a swelling on the medial (inner) side of the heel below the ankle bone and it gets pretty sore. I have not noticed that it has gotten pink as much as just puffy there. Maybe the fact that it's pink just means it's super-inflamed?
Mine kept throbbing there last night--very annoying. I don't know if this is similar to what you have.
Ellen

Re: But I thought she meant the bottom of the heel. We need more info! :)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 15:16 (083244)

I thought she meant on the bottom of the heel, but Ellen it sounds like you mean the side of the heel. Now I'm not sure what Mahatmelissama meant!

Where exactly is the area you meant, Mahatmelissama? Thanks

Carole C

Andrue on 5/09/02 at 16:01 (083247)

I have that on both my feet. On the advice of a chiropodist I soak my feet in an epsom salt water solution and that has reduced the swelling a lot. The swelling is actually just above (and round from) where the worst of my pain is.

Mahatmelissama on 5/09/02 at 16:02 (083248)

Hmmm...if only I could draw here...

Left foot
(BIG TOE-other toes)
out mid end
out ARCH end <<--right here
out bottom end

Re: LAME QUESTION...where do I get epsom salts?

Mahatmelissama on 5/09/02 at 16:07 (083251)

Walgreens? I have never bought them before. I like Walgreens since i can march in, pick up the item and buy it quickly before major PF pain sets in. Can I sit in the tub with my feet (are epsom salts toxic)? I realise these are lame questions...so I ask in
cyber space so nobody can laugh in my face. ;)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 16:50 (083257)

well that sounds like Ellen's spot, all right! ignore my messages LOL

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 16:53 (083258)

They ought to have Epsom salts. You could call and ask. I have no idea but I wouldn't personally sit in epsom salts.

Carole C

Carmen on 5/09/02 at 17:43 (083263)

It won't hurt to sit in them. It's recommended for sore or overused muscles.
You can get them at Walgreens Eckerds etc...look in the hydrogen peroxide type areas....

Re: cluck cluck

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 17:47 (083267)

Just call me chicken, cluck cluck!! I would be concerned that sitting in them might encourage bladder or vaginal infections. I don't even sit in bubble bath, just water for me, thanks. Now that was more than you wanted to know, wasn't it! LOL

Carole C

Carmen on 5/09/02 at 17:54 (083272)

My spot there gts 'puffy' like a marshmallow when I over do it as well....pretty normal I believe.

Re: cluck cluck WOMEN only ;O)

Carmen on 5/09/02 at 18:06 (083275)

No Carole!!! I TOTALLY get it....totally. If you want to avoid infections and still luxuriate in a bath let me know and I'll send you via email a suggestion that works for me.
Epsom salts won't cause problems...but I like bubble bath (lavendar and tea tree please )
15 years of chronic Y infec. and I finally can take baths with no worries.

Tammie on 5/09/02 at 18:19 (083281)

Heh I would like the secrets also if you dont mind? My email is (email removed) I also love baths and would like bubbles and stuff but have the UTI troubles along with daughter who also is sensitive! Thanks Carmen , you are always helping with so many areas I cant believe how much you know! I work in with medical people and I have learned some but I find the internet is much more helpful! I love to do searches in medical stuff, I have learned alot since i have learned more about how computor works. LOL now I need to learn to spell and type without so many typos!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 18:25 (083282)

I don't remember your e-mail, but mine is (email removed) . I don't check it every day, but more like once or twice a week. Thanks!

Carole C

Rich on 5/10/02 at 07:55 (083352)

Here's my two cents too! Eating yogurt daily helps...if you like it! LOL

Seriously, I take acidolphilus when I have THE symptoms. 3-3x daily works for me, clears up in no time!

I buy from a Nature's Sunshine rep, but also available OTC, Walmart, Eckerd's, Walgreens....

P.S. I love a good soak in epsom salt! My mom makes us bath salts using this and perfume free washing powder! No irritation at all! I'll get the recipe is anyone wants it. She puts it in pretty jars with decorated lids, really creative and makes great gifts!

Richelle

john h on 5/10/02 at 10:36 (083377)

Hope you are wearing shoes that give you plenty of room. Make sure you try shoes on in the PM when your feet are largest (swelling) and do not be vain like so many of you sweet ladies are and recognize that your feet in fact do get larger as you age. (sorry ladies).

Re: The right size shoes

Julie on 5/10/02 at 11:03 (083382)

John, don't apologize: this is a really important point. With all the discussion about which shoes for which foot types, it's rarely mentioned here that buying the correct shoe size is vital. It's more difficult now since very few stores, even good ones (here in England anyway) have facilities for measuring feet.

Lots of women mind very much about their shoe size; others, like me, simply don't realize that their feet spread as they age. I did realize eventually, and my correct size is now a full size and a half larger than the one I wore 40 years ago. It's only a number.

Last summer I compared notes with a woman in Crete (we were trying on flip-flops) the same age as me, whose feet were exactly the same size as mine. She insisted that she was a size 5 and always had been.

I was once a 5, but am now a 6 1/2. I told her this, but it made no impression. In fact, I suspect she was offended. No doubt she is still walking around in shoes at least a size too small.

Re: feet expanding?

Carole C in NOLA on 5/10/02 at 11:29 (083387)

Gee, John, all this time I thought that the shoe manufacturers were just making the shoe sizes smaller. LOL!

I wear a full size larger than I did in my twenties, and my daughter wears a size larger than I do.

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 5/10/02 at 12:13 (083410)

You mean you sit in the bathtub (full body)? Just checkin'....

Mahatmelissama on 5/10/02 at 12:17 (083413)

I am a size 42 or is it 44?...size 11 WIDE here.

My feet are like BOATS

john h on 5/10/02 at 12:49 (083421)

Julie: when I was 20 years old my shoe size was an 8 1/2D. Now I wear a 10 1/2D and my arches have not fallen at all. Gravity does have its effect.

Re: feet expanding

paula on 5/10/02 at 12:51 (083423)

actually i believe that feet getting longer and wider are also a symmptom of posterior tibial tendon dysfunction, so before you just chalk it up to aging, might want to think about that.

john h on 5/10/02 at 12:55 (083426)

I am a 43 so we can exchange shoes girl.

Carmen on 5/10/02 at 13:03 (083428)

yes.

john h on 5/11/02 at 09:32 (083523)

Paula: I like your explanation better but I fear my explanation is more likely. Long before I had feet problems my feet were getting larger.

paula on 5/11/02 at 11:27 (083532)

john, i'm not suggesting that everyone with expanding feet have posterior tibial tendon dysfunction, just that, as far as i understand it, it is a possibility. also post tib and plantar fasciitis and and tight heel cord, and equinus ( i think that's tight calf) and pronation all go together, and the feet start expanding way before symptoms show up as i understand it. maybe the docs would like to jump in here. anyway if you go to wheeless textbook online and look up any of the above i think they link you to all or most of the others. in fact i wish one of you brainiacs would go there and interpret it for the rest of us average joes. interesting stuff about how orthotics don't work in many cases unless heel cord is stretched and how to stretch in a way that lock the ankle and makes the right part of feet and leg stretch correcly. it's too much for my little brain. maybe julie our stretch guru can figure that part out.

Andrue on 5/11/02 at 16:24 (083554)

Over here in the UK every chemist has them. You may find them in the 'digestive problems' section since they are more commonly used to treat constipation. You can get larger quantities cheaper by visiting your nearest stables. Apparently they use them a lot.

As for bathing in them..well they are supposed to be good for the skin but I just use them in a foot spa.

Rich on 5/14/02 at 22:13 (083957)

Yep...up to your neck...bring a book!

Re: Thanks sounds interesting enough to try!

Tammie on 5/15/02 at 16:58 (084056)

Thank u!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 13:13 (083229)

I don't have anything like that. That's really strange. Maybe it's something your doctor should check out, if it doesn't go away soon.

Carole C

Re: on the other hand

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 13:21 (083231)

On the other hand, right in front of my heel from the outer (lateral) edge of the heel towards the middle, is a bump which I think may be the insertion point. It does swell and act up if I overdo and so on. But I got the impression you were talking about the inner (medial) side instead.

Carole C

Re: inner heel, about an inch or so below ankle bone

Ellen J. on 5/09/02 at 15:01 (083242)

When I've really overdone it, I get a swelling on the medial (inner) side of the heel below the ankle bone and it gets pretty sore. I have not noticed that it has gotten pink as much as just puffy there. Maybe the fact that it's pink just means it's super-inflamed?
Mine kept throbbing there last night--very annoying. I don't know if this is similar to what you have.
Ellen

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 15:16 (083244)

I thought she meant on the bottom of the heel, but Ellen it sounds like you mean the side of the heel. Now I'm not sure what Mahatmelissama meant!

Where exactly is the area you meant, Mahatmelissama? Thanks

Carole C

Andrue on 5/09/02 at 16:01 (083247)

I have that on both my feet. On the advice of a chiropodist I soak my feet in an epsom salt water solution and that has reduced the swelling a lot. The swelling is actually just above (and round from) where the worst of my pain is.

Mahatmelissama on 5/09/02 at 16:02 (083248)

Hmmm...if only I could draw here...

Left foot
(BIG TOE-other toes)
out mid end
out ARCH end <<--right here
out bottom end

Mahatmelissama on 5/09/02 at 16:07 (083251)

Walgreens? I have never bought them before. I like Walgreens since i can march in, pick up the item and buy it quickly before major PF pain sets in. Can I sit in the tub with my feet (are epsom salts toxic)? I realise these are lame questions...so I ask in
cyber space so nobody can laugh in my face. ;)

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 16:50 (083257)

well that sounds like Ellen's spot, all right! ignore my messages LOL

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 16:53 (083258)

They ought to have Epsom salts. You could call and ask. I have no idea but I wouldn't personally sit in epsom salts.

Carole C

Carmen on 5/09/02 at 17:43 (083263)

It won't hurt to sit in them. It's recommended for sore or overused muscles.
You can get them at Walgreens Eckerds etc...look in the hydrogen peroxide type areas....

Re: cluck cluck

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 17:47 (083267)

Just call me chicken, cluck cluck!! I would be concerned that sitting in them might encourage bladder or vaginal infections. I don't even sit in bubble bath, just water for me, thanks. Now that was more than you wanted to know, wasn't it! LOL

Carole C

Carmen on 5/09/02 at 17:54 (083272)

My spot there gts 'puffy' like a marshmallow when I over do it as well....pretty normal I believe.

Carmen on 5/09/02 at 18:06 (083275)

No Carole!!! I TOTALLY get it....totally. If you want to avoid infections and still luxuriate in a bath let me know and I'll send you via email a suggestion that works for me.
Epsom salts won't cause problems...but I like bubble bath (lavendar and tea tree please )
15 years of chronic Y infec. and I finally can take baths with no worries.

Tammie on 5/09/02 at 18:19 (083281)

Heh I would like the secrets also if you dont mind? My email is (email removed) I also love baths and would like bubbles and stuff but have the UTI troubles along with daughter who also is sensitive! Thanks Carmen , you are always helping with so many areas I cant believe how much you know! I work in with medical people and I have learned some but I find the internet is much more helpful! I love to do searches in medical stuff, I have learned alot since i have learned more about how computor works. LOL now I need to learn to spell and type without so many typos!

Carole C in NOLA on 5/09/02 at 18:25 (083282)

I don't remember your e-mail, but mine is (email removed) . I don't check it every day, but more like once or twice a week. Thanks!

Carole C

Rich on 5/10/02 at 07:55 (083352)

Here's my two cents too! Eating yogurt daily helps...if you like it! LOL

Seriously, I take acidolphilus when I have THE symptoms. 3-3x daily works for me, clears up in no time!

I buy from a Nature's Sunshine rep, but also available OTC, Walmart, Eckerd's, Walgreens....

P.S. I love a good soak in epsom salt! My mom makes us bath salts using this and perfume free washing powder! No irritation at all! I'll get the recipe is anyone wants it. She puts it in pretty jars with decorated lids, really creative and makes great gifts!

Richelle

john h on 5/10/02 at 10:36 (083377)

Hope you are wearing shoes that give you plenty of room. Make sure you try shoes on in the PM when your feet are largest (swelling) and do not be vain like so many of you sweet ladies are and recognize that your feet in fact do get larger as you age. (sorry ladies).

Julie on 5/10/02 at 11:03 (083382)

John, don't apologize: this is a really important point. With all the discussion about which shoes for which foot types, it's rarely mentioned here that buying the correct shoe size is vital. It's more difficult now since very few stores, even good ones (here in England anyway) have facilities for measuring feet.

Lots of women mind very much about their shoe size; others, like me, simply don't realize that their feet spread as they age. I did realize eventually, and my correct size is now a full size and a half larger than the one I wore 40 years ago. It's only a number.

Last summer I compared notes with a woman in Crete (we were trying on flip-flops) the same age as me, whose feet were exactly the same size as mine. She insisted that she was a size 5 and always had been.

I was once a 5, but am now a 6 1/2. I told her this, but it made no impression. In fact, I suspect she was offended. No doubt she is still walking around in shoes at least a size too small.

Re: feet expanding?

Carole C in NOLA on 5/10/02 at 11:29 (083387)

Gee, John, all this time I thought that the shoe manufacturers were just making the shoe sizes smaller. LOL!

I wear a full size larger than I did in my twenties, and my daughter wears a size larger than I do.

Carole C

Mahatmelissama on 5/10/02 at 12:13 (083410)

You mean you sit in the bathtub (full body)? Just checkin'....

Mahatmelissama on 5/10/02 at 12:17 (083413)

I am a size 42 or is it 44?...size 11 WIDE here.

My feet are like BOATS

john h on 5/10/02 at 12:49 (083421)

Julie: when I was 20 years old my shoe size was an 8 1/2D. Now I wear a 10 1/2D and my arches have not fallen at all. Gravity does have its effect.

paula on 5/10/02 at 12:51 (083423)

actually i believe that feet getting longer and wider are also a symmptom of posterior tibial tendon dysfunction, so before you just chalk it up to aging, might want to think about that.

john h on 5/10/02 at 12:55 (083426)

I am a 43 so we can exchange shoes girl.

Carmen on 5/10/02 at 13:03 (083428)

yes.

john h on 5/11/02 at 09:32 (083523)

Paula: I like your explanation better but I fear my explanation is more likely. Long before I had feet problems my feet were getting larger.

paula on 5/11/02 at 11:27 (083532)

john, i'm not suggesting that everyone with expanding feet have posterior tibial tendon dysfunction, just that, as far as i understand it, it is a possibility. also post tib and plantar fasciitis and and tight heel cord, and equinus ( i think that's tight calf) and pronation all go together, and the feet start expanding way before symptoms show up as i understand it. maybe the docs would like to jump in here. anyway if you go to wheeless textbook online and look up any of the above i think they link you to all or most of the others. in fact i wish one of you brainiacs would go there and interpret it for the rest of us average joes. interesting stuff about how orthotics don't work in many cases unless heel cord is stretched and how to stretch in a way that lock the ankle and makes the right part of feet and leg stretch correcly. it's too much for my little brain. maybe julie our stretch guru can figure that part out.

Andrue on 5/11/02 at 16:24 (083554)

Over here in the UK every chemist has them. You may find them in the 'digestive problems' section since they are more commonly used to treat constipation. You can get larger quantities cheaper by visiting your nearest stables. Apparently they use them a lot.

As for bathing in them..well they are supposed to be good for the skin but I just use them in a foot spa.

Rich on 5/14/02 at 22:13 (083957)

Yep...up to your neck...bring a book!

Re: Thanks sounds interesting enough to try!

Tammie on 5/15/02 at 16:58 (084056)

Thank u!