Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Is everyone out of work after tx w/ Dornier machine?

Posted by Brian V on 5/09/02 at 17:35 (083261)

Anyone who has had tx w/ the Epos:
Are you out of work during the recovery phase?
If so, for how long?
If not, do you have a job like mine where you are on your feet from 8-12 hours a shift?

These are things I need to think about before I undergo the tx.

Thanks,
Brian V.

Re: Is everyone out of work after tx w/ Dornier machine?

Mary Beth S on 5/09/02 at 18:11 (083279)

Brian, I flew into Philly from Boston and took a cab to NJ to Dr.Z's on a Sat morning. Great time to travel by the way. I walked through the airport after the procedure. I rested on Sunday - well, I took a golf cart instead of carrying my bag. I was at work the next day. I'm a dental hygienist and I'm up and down on my feet all day long. What helped me immensely was taping my feet for extra support. Also, wearing nice cushioned running sneakers with cushioned socks like Thorlo's and the warm soaks believe it or not also helped a great deal. Yes, my feet were sore. They still are off and on. It will be 7 weeks postop this Saturday. I think it's too early to tell if the procedure was successful. I'm a little skeptical. In the real world, it's virtually impossible to give your feet a rest which may be the reason for the lengthy healing process. I hope I offered some help.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/09/02 at 18:35 (083284)

It is best to talk to the doc in charge of the procedure. Usually, the recovery phase is not stringent. Generally, a 3 day weekend does the trick (provided that your PF is not so painful that you have not been working before the treatment).
Ed

BrianG on 5/09/02 at 18:39 (083285)

Hi BrianV,

I am one of the lucky ones who is not working after the Dornier treatment, 3.5 weeks ago at Dr. Z's. I'm hoping this will give me an edge in the healing process. I'm sure I could have gone back to work, if I had a sit down job. I was a little sore, still am. It's a funny thing, but the treatment was much worse than the recovery period, for me. During the treatment, when the Lidocaine did not work, I thought for sure I would be laid up for weeks. Didn't happen, I could have gone back, if I had something to go back to! Good luck

BrianG

PS If I was working my old job, which entailed a lot of walking and standing, I'm sure I would have had much more pain. I think it boils down to; how tolerant of pain are you? I'm a pain wimp. Can you take some vacation time? It would probably up your odds.

Monte on 5/09/02 at 18:59 (083292)

Hi...I had my treatment 2 days ago. The shots were painless (i mean it) and they worked. I did not feel a thing during the treatment. That night and the next day I was more sore than before the treatment...but that is because they beat up the fascia. I returned to my desk job the next day. I also tape for more support and to try to rest the fascia more.

I will be patient and see what happens over the next 12 weeks. I have had this for 17 months already.

Good luck to you. If you must stand alot, maybe taping the feet from ball of foot to heal may help you.

BrianG on 5/09/02 at 22:28 (083310)

So, you had the Dornier Monte, thats good. I only wish you could have felt a little of my pain, just to prove I wasn't making it up :*) I can tell you, it's a powerful machine and some of us should get help. After all, the FDA had good results. Good luck

BrianG

Monte on 5/09/02 at 22:37 (083311)

Brian...I had the Big O machine without any ankle block. This treatment HAS to work to some degree. If we can make some improvement after each of the three sessions, then we will be closer to bliss. Let's keep on praying

Brian V on 5/13/02 at 19:27 (083746)

Thank you everyone for your replies to my questions. I am not in the position to not work at all right now, but I am hoping I can do this when I can take about five days off in a row to allow for healing and rest. If anyone has a good site that explains taping well, or has a good method, please let me know. I have never taped, but I have been taped by at PT with no relief of pain at the time. However it sounds like many of you are taping post procedure, so I will consider the same.

Thanks again.
Brian V.

Mary Beth S on 5/09/02 at 18:11 (083279)

Brian, I flew into Philly from Boston and took a cab to NJ to Dr.Z's on a Sat morning. Great time to travel by the way. I walked through the airport after the procedure. I rested on Sunday - well, I took a golf cart instead of carrying my bag. I was at work the next day. I'm a dental hygienist and I'm up and down on my feet all day long. What helped me immensely was taping my feet for extra support. Also, wearing nice cushioned running sneakers with cushioned socks like Thorlo's and the warm soaks believe it or not also helped a great deal. Yes, my feet were sore. They still are off and on. It will be 7 weeks postop this Saturday. I think it's too early to tell if the procedure was successful. I'm a little skeptical. In the real world, it's virtually impossible to give your feet a rest which may be the reason for the lengthy healing process. I hope I offered some help.

Ed Davis, DPM on 5/09/02 at 18:35 (083284)

It is best to talk to the doc in charge of the procedure. Usually, the recovery phase is not stringent. Generally, a 3 day weekend does the trick (provided that your PF is not so painful that you have not been working before the treatment).
Ed

BrianG on 5/09/02 at 18:39 (083285)

Hi BrianV,

I am one of the lucky ones who is not working after the Dornier treatment, 3.5 weeks ago at Dr. Z's. I'm hoping this will give me an edge in the healing process. I'm sure I could have gone back to work, if I had a sit down job. I was a little sore, still am. It's a funny thing, but the treatment was much worse than the recovery period, for me. During the treatment, when the Lidocaine did not work, I thought for sure I would be laid up for weeks. Didn't happen, I could have gone back, if I had something to go back to! Good luck

BrianG

PS If I was working my old job, which entailed a lot of walking and standing, I'm sure I would have had much more pain. I think it boils down to; how tolerant of pain are you? I'm a pain wimp. Can you take some vacation time? It would probably up your odds.

Monte on 5/09/02 at 18:59 (083292)

Hi...I had my treatment 2 days ago. The shots were painless (i mean it) and they worked. I did not feel a thing during the treatment. That night and the next day I was more sore than before the treatment...but that is because they beat up the fascia. I returned to my desk job the next day. I also tape for more support and to try to rest the fascia more.

I will be patient and see what happens over the next 12 weeks. I have had this for 17 months already.

Good luck to you. If you must stand alot, maybe taping the feet from ball of foot to heal may help you.

BrianG on 5/09/02 at 22:28 (083310)

So, you had the Dornier Monte, thats good. I only wish you could have felt a little of my pain, just to prove I wasn't making it up :*) I can tell you, it's a powerful machine and some of us should get help. After all, the FDA had good results. Good luck

BrianG

Monte on 5/09/02 at 22:37 (083311)

Brian...I had the Big O machine without any ankle block. This treatment HAS to work to some degree. If we can make some improvement after each of the three sessions, then we will be closer to bliss. Let's keep on praying

Brian V on 5/13/02 at 19:27 (083746)

Thank you everyone for your replies to my questions. I am not in the position to not work at all right now, but I am hoping I can do this when I can take about five days off in a row to allow for healing and rest. If anyone has a good site that explains taping well, or has a good method, please let me know. I have never taped, but I have been taped by at PT with no relief of pain at the time. However it sounds like many of you are taping post procedure, so I will consider the same.

Thanks again.
Brian V.